LATEST MOAN FROM YOU AND ME - 2022

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by shiney, Jan 1, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,769
    He's aiming at a general modern audience, not you specifically Pete:biggrin:

The point is that most people, when they get joint pain, rest it because that's what we've all been told. It was even 'official' advice for a lot of years. This guy is explaining why resting it just makes it worse over time, and simple exercises slowly building the strength and mobility back.

Here's something I learned when I knackered my knees a few years ago and had to rehabilitate them. Our joints have no blood supply. We all know how the heart pumps blood all round the body to keep all our bits nourished. Well not inside our joints. Instead our joints are nourished by synovial fluid, mostly water with nutrients in. Nothing pumps that fluid around, so if we don't move, it just settles in the bottom of the joint, and everything else becomes dehydrated. It is only movement that squishes it all around, nourishing and hydrating the cartilage. This guy doesn't explain it like that, but in layman's terms tries to explain that simple exercises help keep the blood flowing to the area and keep everything loose.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,365
      I had back and knee problems since a kid and had an op on my back at the age of 17. A few years after that I was recommended to try the Alexander Technique as I had some trouble (not too much at the time) getting out of a low chair. The problem was that when using my arms to push myself up it hurt my back and neck. There was no internet in those days so no videos I could watch and I couldn't afford to pay for treatment/classes.

When we got married Mrs Shiney got private health care from her firm which covered me as well. So I went for treatment/classes every week for a few months. One of the techniques was for getting out of a low chair :blue thumb:. I'm probably not explaining it properly but it meant you move to the front of the seat, legs part, and lean forward with your arms between your legs or outside your legs if it's more comfy. You lean forward and because your arms are now also forward it takes your weight out of the chair and makes it easier to stand up. If your knee is really bad then you may need something to lean on when bent forward.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,982
        OK, sorry I thought you put it up in answer to me.

As far as I know the official advice for Arthritic joints has always been to keep the joint moving and dont let them get stuck.
        The surgeon even told me that the new knee will still form the lubricant even though some of the bone has been taken away, so keep it moving he said.

When you can feel the bones grinding because the cartilage has worn away is when it gets difficult to keep it moving.
        I've seen people a lot worse than me and exercising is the last thing they need.

• Like Like x 1
        • Clueless 1 v2

Clueless 1 v2 Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,769
          My personal experience is likely unique to me, so I'll share this but please don't take it as advice, because my case is completely different to yours, but if you can get something useful out of it, great.

On my right foot, as a result of a terrible training accident, my first metatarsal (the joint that connects the big toe to the rest of your foot) is carnage. Both halves of the joint are destroyed. The X ray looks like broken glass. In the impact, one surface just sort of imploded, instead of being a nice ball shape it's now caved in. The other side exploded, with a fragment of the joint surface rotating and has now set in completely the wrong position.

For ages I rested it as advised. It was so painful I genuinely seriously considered getting drunk then smashing it off with a hammer and chisel to prompt the NHS into amputating the remains. I even got special custom insoles designed to take all the pressure off that joint. Nothing helped and it got more and more painful over time.

Then one day I tried a different approach. With VERY limited range of motion, I worked on building the muscles up around the area. The pain lessened. Don't get me wrong, it will never be right, and I've had to adapt a lot. In my martial arts training every time I get a new instructor I find myself having to explain why I can't do the footwork exactly as he says but I find adaptations that work nearly as good. But I can walk and run and train martial arts largely without pain. That said, someone accidentally stood on my foot in training a few weeks ago and it knacked for ages.

You can't cure osteoarthritis, but in my case binning the advice to rest and keep pressure off it, and instead making SLOW but active efforts to use it as much as possible has paid dividends. By slow, I mean no sudden load, just slowly put it under load and slow move through the limited range of motion I have left in that joint. Slow, so that I can immediately stop as soon as I feel connective tissue being crushed between the now massively deformed halves of the joint.

• Informative Informative x 2
          • Balc

Balc Total Gardener

Retired
            Ratings:
            +9,684
            This is something I do very frequently! I don't remember having read about it anywhere or anybody telling me - it's something that has just come naturally to me!

• Like Like x 1
            Thread Status:
            Not open for further replies.