Latest Moan From You and Me 2024

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
    Ratings:
    +1,562
    I know it's really trivial, but I wish Starmer would lose the Brylcreem and the pound shop glasses.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,562
      :biggrin:

If you want all the truly gory detail, I recommend two books by Russell Jones - A Decade In Tory and Four Chancellors And A Funeral. :blue thumb: Mighty tomes because there is a lot to document.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • Punkdoc

Punkdoc Super Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,994
        Sadly for genuine supporters of the Green Party, they are going to be very disappointed, the party is being heavily infiltrated by the hard left, including many former labour members, who have been removed. Their vetting of potential candidates has also been very suspect, with several who have openly expressed anti Semitic views

• Agree Agree x 3
        • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,562
          I would say "growing the economy" is the wrong priority anyway. There's no logical reason to measure a country's success in terms of GDP and growth generally favours those who already have the most. The US has had almost continuous growth since the 1970s, but wages for about 70% of workers have barely moved up in that time (adjusted for inflation). Plus, growth depends on consumption which is not going to work in a world with finite resources and climate change, and often growth figures actually just disguise a growth in indebtedness, which is a smoke and mirrors tactic.

So, ditch the growth mantra and move to an agenda that prioritises reducing the gap between the wealthiest and poorest. That would benefit about 95% of the population and have a massive positive impact on mental health.

• Agree Agree x 7
          • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,473
            You are absolutely (“words you hate” post next) correct, it’s trivial. Labour should have lost him at the same time Corbyn went. What I’d really like to know is who is pulling the muppet/puppet’s strings and imposing such dapper gear on him – well it is compared to the rags and tatters I was used to seeing him wear. If it was him you were voting for, it would never happen here, but as said just who would you be voting for. The policies of the two main parties are almost the same to me. Okay the Tory giveaways are just a ruse and you can’t trust a word they say in any case. So I could ignore the muppet and vote in the hope Labour will at least govern with honesty. It would have to be a big leap of faith for me. I think many will look at Starmer as a weak and untrustworthy wimp and vote based on him and not the party – so I don’t think it’s a forgone conclusion.

• Agree Agree x 2
            • DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,473
              Ukraine should be our only priority as there is a nutter on the loose! Climate runs it close.

• Agree Agree x 2
              • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                +23,886
                I don't really see any point in the electioneering. People are bored of the party that have been in power for so long, as always happens, and not helped by the petty infighting and sheer idiocy the Tories have demonstrated.
                Locally our true blue council is now all yellow (now being shown as utterly ineffective yet continue to blame other people) and the Mr invisible Tory MP has finally raised his profile an iota but I fully expect him to be kicked as the locals are all riled up. His (presumed) replacement is a goofy schoolboy looking chap I wouldn't trust to tie his shoelaces.

I've written off the next parliamentary session and hope that in the interim Russia, China, Iran or Israel don't trigger global war

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 2
                • Tidemark

Tidemark Gardener

Long retired
                  Ratings:
                  +725
                  And then there’s Trump…

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
                    +3,562
                    But the wealthy want war because it is so profitable. And the media wants war because it is an easy, emotive story ... and they promote what the wealthy want them to promote. If the media turned round and said "all war is an abuse by the elite perpetrated on civilians so we are not going to give it any air time or support or promote it in any way" and then ran reports on who makes arms, who sells arms, who profits from arms, who profits from rebuilds after destruction, it would all be laid bare as a deadly game the wealthy play at the expense of taxpayers.

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +92,148
                      Slightly cynical?????:smile:

I dont think the wealthy picked a fight with Putin, he did it all by himself.
                      Wars are mostly about power grabbing, or religion, the question is do we stand back and let those that want power take over or do we resist.
                      If we resist, and they dont back down, we get a war.

Of course there are always those that are in a position to make money out of a war, but things have moved on and now, since covid, they have found there is money to be made out of creating a crisis.
                      So we lurch from one crisis to another.

• ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
                      +3,562
                      Putin is the "wealthy". He picked the fight because he could and in the full knowledge that there would be many in the West for whom the longer it goes on, the better, financially speaking. Money has no particular allegiance to place these days.

Crises are excellent money-making opportunities. The war on terror, the war on drugs, the war against Covid. Notice a theme?

• Like Like x 2
                      • Agree Agree x 1
                      • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +92,148
                        So you dont think Putin actually wants to take over Ukraine? Some how its making him money?

If that is the case, maybe Ukraine should just throw the towel in then, and stop all these people money making.

• JennyJB

JennyJB Keen Gardener

Ratings:
                        +1,760
                        We haven't had any door-knockers or even leaflet-ers yet. It's rare that we get door-knockers, but when we do and they ask who I'll vote for, I either say "That's between me and the ballot paper" or "I have a postal vote and I've already sent it" (if that's the case - we usually turn them around pretty quickly).

• Like Like x 1
                        • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                          Ratings:
                          +4,543
                          Bluejayway said: "It's none of your business", was the only appropriate response ...

I can think of another one. 2 words....

We've had letters through the door. They try to be 'yer pal' - by addressing them using Christian names.
                          Only problem is - they can't even get that right. One resident missing.

The irony of it is - her birthday is on - July 4th....

If any of them come knocking, I might just point to the sign on the door, and tell them that if they can't even read, how could I possibly vote for them?[/QUOTE]

• Like Like x 2
                          • Agree Agree x 1
                          • Funny Funny x 1
                          • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
                            +3,562
                            Oh, he wants Ukraine. It will shore up his power at home and provide various resources to be exploited. But that's my point. This war is an abuse of power perpetrated by a very wealthy political leader. That's how wars start ... and they continue because many people make money out of supplying arms, rebuilding afterwards, etc. If there was no money to be made, the continuous cycle of wars wouldn't happen.

It is never in civilians' interests to be at war. Even if your side wins, the average civilian gains little from the spoils and their taxes will go for yrs (often decades) on repairing the damage done, rebuilding their armies, buying more munitions, etc, ready for the next one. That money could be spent on things that would improve their lives instead.

If every time some despot leader threw his weight around and started a war the world's media ripped open the underbelly and reported on all the profiteering, it might change things. Transparency would stop a lot of abuses of power happening. In these days of constant surveillance, the cameras are turned in the wrong direction, towards populations rather than those in power. If every conversation every person in power ever had was freely available to all, that would be interesting, no?

Won't happen, of course. The perpetuation of power requires secrecy.

Anyway ... an unrelated moan ... a delinquent squirrel has been attacking my hanging basket! :th scifD36:

• Like Like x 2
                            • Agree Agree x 2