Latest Moan From You and Me 2024

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,148
    That happens here also, they give you a couple of signs before you reach a cross roads and then nothing.I think its a game they play.

The other one is if there are signs , there are so many diversions that you don't know which signs are your diversion, so its easy to end up following the wrong ones.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
      Ratings:
      +4,947
      I agree with much of what you say, but eventually they will all want to better them selves. There is a peat bog in the Congo basin and it was not long ago nobody knew it existed. What if they start a deforestation programme of the rain forest for oil exploration, it is a very poor country so you can sort of understand if they did.

CongoPeat_Briefing_on_Oil-Exploration_Updated_27_blocks.pdf

Deforestation in Indonesia is on the up after years of decline as they increase their palm oil exports. How much peat lands have been destroyed as they change how they farm the land, they are also one of the main producers of nickel.

When I first went to Vietnam in 2019 I asked a friend what it was like, he said similar to Thailand was 50 years ago but they are developing a lot faster. I have been going to Thailand since 1999 and the change is unreal in some places, which explains why their carbon front is going up as we are reducing ours.

South Korea has not seen a boom in population, about 10 million in 40 years so about 25% but as a country there carbon footprint per capita has gone from 1.9 to 12, as the country developed.

We don't know what resources some countries are sitting on, especially if there is conflict but if there is money to be made they will be exploration. In 50 years time I wonder if the rest of world is still saying China is the main source of emissions or will it be India or Africa, I wonder.

• Like Like x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +33,021
        Started to get lots of other peoples parcels again some left by door others knock and i put them in the right place to deliver :biggrin:, well today had 3 delivers for other people and the last one new that he was in the wrong place (because he delived to me yesturday) and knock on the door, i went out and showed him the right house, he then question he phone as the pin pionter was showing our house, i said yes it would as postcode come staight here, driver then said we don't use postcodes :th scifD36: they use GPS numbers which was the last deliver, as we had a parcel delived here for someone else they then use that pin pointer even if it the wrong house, hopefull he will update the gps info for that house so we don't get any more parcels :) as we that so many parcels for differant deliver componys i think we will start the question the gps more and get them to change it :dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb:

• Informative Informative x 1
        • RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
          +3,376
          Meanwhile, we're waiting for a parcel that SHOULD have been delivered.
          Any chance you have a package that looks like cushion covers, @Jiffy ?

• Funny Funny x 5
          • Jiffy

Pyro
            Ratings:
            +33,021
            Sorry, no cushion covers, that i know of, all parcels today should have got to the addrees as i show the drivers where they are :)

I do not keep any of the parcels, even though i have been accued of taking some even when they have been droped at our door then i find them later i always take them to the person i now even film myself taking and deliving, cctv/dash cam and action camera when at the house :coffee: because some people will then say they haven't had the parcel even when i speak to the people myself :pathd:

• DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,473
              I'm a bit surprised What3words here is not being looked at by delivery firms. Comes up with some strange 3 words mind you.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • RowlandsCastle

Ratings:
                +3,376
                I didn't expect you to have them.
                Still, there was hope!!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                  Ratings:
                  +92,148
                  Maybe these people are all adding you as their "safe place" when asked by the delivery company where to leave it, @Jiffy .:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
                  • Useful Useful x 1
                  • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                    Ratings:
                    +4,543
                    I'd be contacting the delivery companies and asking why their drivers can't read @Jiffy, and if they can't read, why are they driving? There's obviously an address on the parcel, so all they have to do is look at the numbers on the houses.
                    Alternatively, explain that, as you're personally delivering all theses parcels, you'll be expecting a wage. ;)
                    Unless every house has a name and not a number [unlikely] then they certainly shouldn't be dumping them with you. If they're stuck, the most you should have to do is direct them to the correct house, if you know which one it is. That's fair enough if some are doing that, but it should be the rarity, not the norm.
                    Our road is quite complicated because there are several little cul de sacs, and the numbering is a bit odd unless you're familiar with it. I've directed drivers a few times to the right bit, over the years, but they've never just dumped stuff as such.
                    I do get postmen delivering envelopes/cards to me that are for the same number, but a different road though. Usually just the stand in ones when the usual folk are on holiday etc. :smile:

• Liriodendron

Liriodendron Keen Gardener

Retired gardener
                    Ratings:
                    +888
                    My moan is that because it's been raining all day and I haven't been able to do any gardening, I've just spent a lot of money on spring bulbs... :heehee:

• Like Like x 2
                    • Funny Funny x 1
                    • RowlandsCastle

Ratings:
                      +3,376
                      We shouldn't be too hard to find. We are the first house on the even side of the road (or the last, depending on which direction you come from). We are numbered. It is a dead straight road - probably something to do with the Romans.
                      Admittedly, we have a high hedge. But, people DO have trouble finding us. When we tell them we have the highest hedge and highest tree in the road, it makes it easier.
                      Delivery companies struggle to locate us - but the hospital transport is getting the hang of it.

• Like Like x 1
                      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                        Ratings:
                        +122,511
                        For commercial use there's a charge :noidea:.

Out in the country, here, it's all names but it shouldn't be a problem for deliveries. One time, late at night, I found a parcel on the grass verge against a lamp post. Obviously put there so there was light for the photograph the delivery man took. The parcel, food, had the name of the house and a phone number on it. It was for a house about 400yds from the parcel but was listed as delivered. :doh:

• RowlandsCastle

Ratings:
                        +3,376
                        Ah, spring bulbs. I must start to make a list of what we want - and I am keen on crocuses, allium, snakes head fritillary (wife's choice) and so much more.

• Jiffy

Pyro
                        Ratings:
                        +33,021
                        Not all houses are named but most are

What 3 words, well some people have only just (within the last 7 years) got connected to the mains elecy and mains water :biggrin: we don't want to over do it with new tec :cool:

Most are from another country, i don't mind helping them out but some days it can be a pain in the back side
                        I don't want a wage because then i will be breaking the law with not the right insursance for the car when i take the parcels to the right house but this isn't usally many as if i see some one stoped outside i'm usally not far away so that i can show them were to go

• Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
                          +8,039
                          Cost of living crisis- apparently commas are nowadays beyond the reach of even largest retailers. :mad:

quiche.jpg

How does one add cheddar into bacon? And how on earth am I going to ensure the quiche is piping hot throughout if it has to be removed from oven heat?

• Funny Funny x 4