Latest Moan From You and Me 2024

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. RowlandsCastle

RowlandsCastle Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,381
    I have the full boxed sets of Person of Interest, most of NCIS, almost every film with Harrison Ford, the Die Hards, and lots more. The wife has Downton Abbey, All Creatures Great and Small, and some obscure films with Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnan.
    Plus umpteen episodes with a certain Michael Palin, who travels around the world!!

• Like Like x 2
    • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,579
      Is anyone watching the Olympics opening ceremony? Admittedly I have the sound muted, but I can't make head nor tail of what's going on from the visuals. :scratch: And I can't see any spectators, though presumably there are some on the other river bank.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Obelix-Vendée

Obelix-Vendée Keen Gardener

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,453
        Since we're in France I decided to show willing @ViewAhead but lasted less than 5 minutes. Even OH who is an avid watcher of sports and Olympics gave up after less than 10 saying it's crap choreography and visuals.

They have halved the number of spectators to 300,000 because of security alerts so most of the local spectators will be those hanging out of windows and off terraces to see it all go by. Should have done it in the main arena which is easier to control but then, this morning security failures show a lack of imagination and planning in security quarters.

I'm not convinced the French do ceremonial stuff well at all.

• Like Like x 1
        • Agree Agree x 1
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +92,187
          They seem to have English weather for the opening ceremony, lots of people watching all with umbrellas.
          Looks a bit sad to be honest the weather can make or break this kind of thing.

• Agree Agree x 2
          • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,579
            The costumes did look colourful, but I think these things go on too long and are very disjointed. If you were watching from the river bank, without the benefit of the TV commentary, I'm not sure you would be able to interpret all the symbolism.

Ah well, on to the main event ...

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
            +49,052
            I liked the horse running along the Seine otherwise it went on far too long and I'm not a fan of those mysterious interpretive dances.

• Agree Agree x 1
            • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,579
              Apparently the BBC is only allowed to cover two live events at a time. Currently, it is judo and hockey. I've never really felt team ball sports really fit in. I'd prefer it to be mainly athletics, swimming, diving, rowing, and that kind of stuff. I find the skateboarding, etc, quite exciting to watch, especially the event where they go hell for leather round a u-shaped track composed of humps and bumps. :biggrin: I forget its technical name.

It all seems a bit fragmented with so many disciplines included, but I guess every sporting body wants their area recognised as worthy.

• BB3

BB3 Gardener

A bit of gardening
              Ratings:
              +1,565
              A gardening moan:
              I wish there was a stonecrop ( can't be bothered to try and spell the latest name) that stayed green. I prefer the subtle broccoli type pale green buds rather than when they go pink or white

• Informative Informative x 1
              • Philippa

Philippa Gardener

Ratings:
                +273
                The constant request for Reviews is becoming completely ridiculous. D T Brown seem to be the worst at the moment. You buy some seeds, receive them a week later and within a couple of days they want a review. On what ? Speed ( or otherwise ) of delivery, germination rate, harvest, flavour ??
                As for BT and their Digital Voice letter ........... I give up. Perhaps when the new lot finally get around to the promised debate on Assisted Dying, they may like to consider Terminal Fed upness as a reason too.

• Funny Funny x 4
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +122,531
                  I also get fed up with them so give them a one star rating, they don't seem to allow no star rating, and give the explanation as 'asking stupid questions at this stage' or, for the ads received from Tesco and Sainsbury's as 'how about advertising something I might be interested in'.

• Like Like x 2
                  • shiney

Ratings:
                    +122,531
                    Talking of adverts:- the ones for Select Specs annoy me. They made the ads so cheaply that they are laughable. It shows a person walking down the road, wearing their glasses, and saying how good and cheap they are.

The annoying thing is that they aren't actually walking down the road. The road is a background shot from the camera as the camera moves backwards with the person moving from one foot to the other but remaining stationary in their studio. Their movement, they have two different ads with one a male and the other a female, (am I allowed to say those two words nowadays :whistle:) is so obviously false that it is ridiculous.

Cheap glasses and cheap advert! :doh:

• Agree Agree x 2
                    • fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
                      Ratings:
                      +4,556
                      I don't review anything that requires me to actually use it several times before I can give it any kind of accurate review. I often feel it's the supplier they really want you to review, so and many reviews back that up, so it pays to read tehm well enough to establish that.
                      I didn't give Halford's a very good review last week about the booking system. I didn't get as far as saying why is there no zero option!
                      I reported water flooding the nearby road on Saturday morning, and said it had been going for at least 24 hours [still flooding last night] and explained where it was . I got the standard reply, then later on I got another email asking me - did it affect my water supply, was it clean water or waste, and - can I give them an 'address and postcode'. I'm tempted to say that, as it's a field it's coming from [where they've been endlessly digging up the ground] that might not be possible. I'd already explained that it's the field beside the private entrance to the NT garden etc, but I'm going to do several points with the map co -ordinates and see how they like working that out. There's only a handful of large houses on that road for quite a distance, and fields on the other side.
                      Their contractor has been working in the field, which is connected to our nearby side road, and is a Scottish Water Board site at one part, for well over 8 or 9 months. They obviously don't bother checking the areas before they sod off for the weekend. The amount of water being wasted is disgusting. :mad:

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
                        Ratings:
                        +33,043
                        It's getting closer, we heard the sound of tyres under heavy bracking only to see 2 vehicles which very nearly had a head on crash, please drive slowly around blind bends there may be something coming around the corner :biggrin: a few months back a cyclist was lucky he didn't get hit and the way the lorry was leaning it was lucky that didn't tip over!!! and yes there wasn't 15meters as there can't be because lane is to narrow

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                        Ratings:
                        +92,187
                        When I bought "wet and forget" it said it can take up to 3 months to work, got massage to review the product within 3 days. :biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 4
                        • shiney

Ratings:
                          +122,531
                          • Agree Agree x 1