Latest Moan From You and Me 2024

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,589
    My point is if the system is open, interception is much easier. If it is a private, secured one, that gives some protection.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,215
    Well I agree, but it cant be open otherwise no mobile phone transactions would safe or even useable.
    I dont think using an internet hotspot is the same as using a mobile phone signal, presumably if the phone is connected to your router then it must be using the security which comes with the router otherwise internet banking wouldn't work either.

3. DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,476
    VOIP has been around for years, it's cheaper. I'm pretty sure Sky have used it for years now and so have government and many companies. Biggest issue will be power outage, but we may all perhaps have power backup by then. It does work over your internet by the way. Security is an issue whatever you use and our government (previous also) have backed the change. The mobile data network is no safer either.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
      Ratings:
      +3,589
      I think that must be the case. But for those who don't have home broadband and are moved away from landlines, would the mobile signal they use (assuming they do not have a mobile phone + network contract) be secure?

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,215
      That I dont know, Virgin told me in my E mail that if I dont have broadband I would still be changed to the new phone system, how they do it I dont know.
      Possibly some kind of router that you can only connect a phone to, perhaps. ie doesnt have wi fi.

• cactus_girl

cactus_girl Super Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +1,646
      From memory when I last read up on this is that your phone can be plugged into the back of the new BT router/hub in the phone socket provided or you can use the adaptor provided, which provides a wireless connection from your phone to the hub. It seems to me that the router then connects by piggy backing on the fibre to cabinet set up here. The copper up to the property is still here until full fibre comes in. I think the BT router can be used just for a phone. That's my latest thinking.