Latest Moan From You and Me 2024

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 1, 2024.

1. ViewAhead

ViewAhead Head Gardener

South of the South Downs, north of the sea!
    Ratings:
    +3,590
    Plusnet let me renew the contract for my landline for 18 months, but after that they won't be able to renew again. If we have to have a charged mobile in case of emergency power failure, I don't see the point of keeping the landline anyway and may just get a mobile. Signal here is not great, but has improved. Time was you had to walk 50 m from the house to connect. Now you can usually do it somewhere inside, though you might have to wander from room to room to find it.

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,232
    We have more mobile masts than there used to be phone boxes around here, seems they all want their own bit of space to call their own.
    Even so the signal often is poor or just cuts out on you.

Just another way modern is not really better, just more of it.

3. DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,478
    Come on, can't fault Virgin providing 10x faster broadband than previously available to us - some modern connectivity there.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,232
    Its only 10x faster if you pay them stupid money, for us mere mortals its probably slowed down so you up grade.;)

I dont use Virgin mobile.

5. DiggersJo

DiggersJo Keen Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,478
    No, it's a lot cheaper per/mth than what I was paying to Sky!

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,557
    I don't know about other service providers but BT have two solutions for people who don't currently have internet and don't wish to have it - their survey shows there are quite lot of them.

One solution, the one they hope most people without internet will opt for, is to have a Smart Hub 2 and the phone will just plug into that. For those few who don't want a router then BT have a solution. They have developed a phone that is similar to a large cordless phone that has a router and backup battery in it. It stands in a base similar to a cordless but is almost twice the size - about half the size of the old 'bricks'.

I've had meeting with them and seen it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,557
      What people pay to companies for their broadband or mobile depends on how good a negotiator they are.

With regard to Digital Voice. This may be of help:-

https://www.damianhinds.com/sites/w...Digital Voice BT's new home phone service.pdf

You can also sign up for the Priorities Services Register if you qualify. If you're over 65 then you will automatically qualify. Being on that gives you better service from your gas/electric service providers as well.

The PSR - The Priority Services Register (PSR) is a free UK wide service which provides extra advice and support, including when there’s an interruption to your electricity or gas supply - PSR

You can then register with your phone service provider that you are on the list. This will enable you to play the :old: card - "I'm just a helpless pensioner that doesn't understand these things and will need help setting up the new system". It will also help you delay your switchover. The longer you delay the more chance you have of getting a more modern system. Those are upgrading regularly.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
        Ratings:
        +7,356
        I worked as a Civil Serpent in a call centre, I was amazed when I could access every call in full that the current caller had made in the past 21 years
        Also just by voice recognition who the caller was in real life

Crazy