1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn advice for a newbie

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Melancholy, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Melancholy

Melancholy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have finally got around to attacking my large lawn after living in my house for the past two years. It has been neglected over the years; it is full of moss, lots of weeds and is patchy. Some lawn is in shade and some in full sun. The soil is sandy and made more dry by an old laurel hedge that has roots under the lawn; one or two roots are slightly exposed at the edge of the lawn.

I have applied Ivisons moss killer 3 weeks ago but most of the moss remains.
    I have scarified it 2 weeks after applying the moss killer with my new bosch verticutter
    I plan to overseed it and re-seed bare parts where I have removed old flower beds

My questions are
    1. How do I get rid of the remaining moss?
    2. Should I now scrape the moss patches by hand before re-seeding
    3. What grass seed should I get to ensure it all looks as uniform as possible
    4. When should I re-seed

Many thanks

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    00000000000000000000000000001348Melancholy, you don`t say wether the moss is now dead. Assuming it is, I would suggest you rake as much out as possible using an ordinary garden rake. As for the type of seed, I would go for one which is suitable for shady areas. However, there is no panic as you should wait until the spring before reseeding.

3. Melancholy

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi daitheplant
    I dont think the moss is all dead :-(
    In some places the grass looks dead and yellow - have I over scarified it?

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    If it hasn`t turned black, then the moss is still live. From my experience, I have never known lawns die from over scarifying. Is there any chance you can post a couple of pics?

5. WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +5,094
    Iron sulphate works a treat and is cheap. Scarify in various directions,clear up moss etc and dispose of it. Reseed with a suitable grass sead. I used a mixture of shady and family seed from Lidl. Lawn looks sweet again until the moss returns and it will return because i have shade issues because of massive boundary trees.
    Scarify spring and autumn and then give it some feed.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Melancholy

Ratings:
      +0
      IMG_2069.JPG IMG_2070.JPG IMG_2071.JPG
      Hi all,

A pic of my back lawn and close ups, The front lanws are similar

Should I re-apply moss killer? Last application ws 3-4 weeks ago
      Maria

• Melancholy

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks WeeTam
      I used Ivisons moss killer and Lawn tonic and still have about 3.5 kg left. I didnt kill all the moss :-(

• WeeTam

WeeTam Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +5,094
      I would leave it now to recover. Maybe the tonic element of the treatment scorches the grass if too much is applied?
      Sometimes getting a lawn back into shape takes a good few months.If your in the Uk reseeding now is very late but still worth a go ?

• Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
      +599
      As @WeeTam suggested, iron sulphate is brilliant at killing moss. It also greens up the grass brilliantly.

A spray penetrates much better than granular products. Moss turns black within minutes and is soon killed off, which gives a great indicator of moss patches that can easily be overlooked.

But like he mentioned, it is getting close to the winter and as the soil temperature decreases, many types of grass may struggle to germinate before the cold really sets in.

Also, worm casts that are so prevalent at this time of year can too easily uproot new grass roots. I too would wait until spring to give it a serious overhaul.