1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Lawn Fertiliser

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by chris_elevate, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
    +17,487
    Thanks Liz
    I totally agree with your concluding sentence:)
    My own regime is granular feed in late March/early April followed by a couple of high nitrogen feeds in summer. An application of nematodes....did this earlier today...light scarifying soon and top dressing. Spot weedkilling only. Moss not a problem.
    My soil is sandy loam so nutrient levels are depleted quite quickly thus needing more nitrogen (?) However, you make a lot of sense to me ....clearly you know your science.....and if my soil was a heavier one I would try your suggestions.
    Thanks again Liz, always enjoy new and different info; it is how we learn and improve :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Liz the pot

Liz the pot Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +1,259
      You are correct, sandy soil has low organic matter and so does not retain nutrients like clay based soils.
      Beacause you suffer from leaching a slow release fertiliser would work well and better as they last from 8 weeks to 16 weeks so you don't have to apply as much fertiliser and they give a more predictable and steady growth patten and less leaching.
      While slow release products tend to be more expensive the overall cost is cheaper compared to a straight fertiliser due to fewer applications.

• Like Like x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
        +17,487
        Makes sense Liz:)

• Like Like x 1