LCD viewers - how do you cope?

Discussion in 'Photography Talk' started by PeterS, Sep 25, 2007.

1. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +54,877
    Maybe I've lost the plot with this conversation, but I can see perfectly well with my LCD screen (on my year 2000 camera) and can focus perfectly on it ... in fact, I have a problem with the manual one now. I think my Country Life and Algarve Garden photos prove my point.

... and remember, I'm one of the best technophobes on this site. :rolleyes:

The only problem I have is that using the LCD screen constantly wears the battery down quickly and I keep it on charge constantly when not in use and have two spare batteries. T'other half did buy me a battery charger from e-Bay (from the States) the other week and it's duff. Win some, lose some.

I couldn't go back to film again. [​IMG]

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,679
    Niether did I until I read your post Peter.
    Being not really that well up on photography and a bit of spare cash at the time, I went from a cheapish compact digi to an SLR.
    Sometimes you know, (and especially when I get all the settings wrong), I still get a clearer pic from the old cheapy. Its just that with the SLR you get more chance to experiment, change lenses etc.

3. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Peter I have a Fuji S9600. Have had it since April. I found I got used to the screen very quickly. Also if your back ground is in focus but not your flower & you are using macro then I think you are getting the lens too close to the flower.. min6" any closer & the focus goes. I wear glasses but I use the view finder nearly all the time rather than the screen. I do put my glasses against the rubber so don't seem to have much of a problem with light or seeing what I am looking at.. Just have to wipe my glasses all the time... :rolleyes: :D Keep plugging away & you will hopefully come to like it. I certainly really like mine... ;) :D Luck of the draw though for a good pic. BTW they are also very suseptible to movement as well I use a tripod when ever I can for flowers etc.. Good Luck.. [​IMG]

4. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Pete, my camera is virtually an SLR, but with a poor viewer and without interchangeable lenses. I should have made the jump to an SLR for the same reasons as you - but they do cost more.

Lol - I have just been looking back at your pictures - you have some lovely shots there. Perhaps it's time for me to shut up an accept that I am out of step and that the rest of the world must be in step. :D

I promise to go and practice with my camera until I am so good I can do it blindfold - come to think of it that's what I feel I am doing now. :D Well - a good moan always cheers me up. :D

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Marley - thanks for your comments. They are particularly appropriate from someone with the same camera. I am sure that the camera is potentially very good, and you are right I must just keep using it until I get used to it. I am encouraged by your comment that you quickly got used to it.

I have got a tripod and am happy to use it if it results in nice pictures.

6. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    so PeterS will you please send a photo of a flower for me, im dying to see how it turns out, thankyou... DEE

7. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    I will DEE - but I may be a little while.....

8. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
  9. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Peter you really will get to like it I am sure. Sometimes I do wish you didn't get such a grainy picture to look at when you are taking close ups etc, but I just put it out of my mind, because the results are very good if you get everything right..!!! :rolleyes: :D Very easy to get it wrong in the early days I think when you are in a hurry.. But it honestly does come. These were a couple of very early photos I took with it..
    [​IMG]

Another close up..
    [​IMG]

I used it when we were in Jamaica as well with no problem, even though the brightness of the sun is second to none out there compared with that we get here... ;) I couldn't view my photos until I got home either, else I would have made a few adjustments had I known, but I had only had the camera a short while then, but even so not too bad I didn't think for a few weeks use.. :rolleyes:
    http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=000420#000000

So Good Luck Peter & let us know how it is going..!! [​IMG]

10. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Marley - I love those two pictures - especially the second one.

I have also enjoyed looking at your Jamaican photos, which I missed first time round. Must have been a wonderful holiday, and so nice to see such lovely pictures from the same camera. ... I will practice...

11. Marley Farley

Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Do Peter, you will get some great photos, honest..! Thank you for the compliment.. :D
    [​IMG] My first digi was a Canon A70 7 I still have it, although I have had 2 other Fiji cameras in between & now this one. Join the " my Fuji" website too.. http://www.fujifilm.co.uk/myfuji/registration_help.php

You will get plenty of help & encouragement from there too.. [​IMG]

12. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Hi Peter
    Just one or two comments to encourage you to persist with your Fuji. I've had one since January and have taken around 2700 photos (just as well I'm not paying for film!!)

1. You'll easily match the macro photos posted on the site. However it takes a bit of practise and experimentation. To get the best out of the camera, particularly in macro mode, you'll get better results using manual control and reducing aperture to increase the depth of field. Though as has been pointed out you may need a tripod to allow for the slower speed needed.

2. I've found that manual focus does work, though it is a bit of a fiddle at times. Using the "one touch AF" facility (page 49 in the manual) works pretty well for me.

3. The flip-out screen, which you'll not get with most DSLR cameras is great for ground level macro shots. (You need to be a contortionist with eyes in the top of your head to look a frog in the eye at ground level.)

4. I was at the back of the queue when the eyeballs were handed out and have dreadful eyesight. I've found that flipping my specs up onto my head allows me to use the eyepiece viewfinder suitably adjusted using the diopter adjustment. However if you post on the Fuji site mentioned earlier you may find a source of extension rubber eyepieces - these are available for some SLRs and should help with your problem.

5. I've not found the screen to be any great problem. In fact it's the best I've had in the last 4 digital cameras.(Kodak, Nikon and Fuji).In general I just use it to compose shots without looking for detail as I trust the camera software to take care of focus and exposure either on auto or with manual control. About the only time I need to see detail is in macro shots and then I often use the steps in "2" above.

6. "Bridge Cameras" v DSLRs is a swings and roundabouts debate. I really fancy a DSLR as there are a few things it would do that I'd love to have available (shooting at 3fps for a start). However a DSLR plus lenses that would give me 28mm to 300mm plus macro would cost a fair bit and would entail lugging heavier equipment around which I would often be disinclined to do with a result of less photos taken!

Stick with it Peter. Get out and get shooting and you'll be posting photos as good as anyone's

13. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Thanks Dave and all of you for your helpful comments.

14. jjdecay

jjdecay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    If you want any advice on using manual with your camera to get great plant photos,feel free to give me a shout.I'm not a professional by any means,but i have done photo courses and could maybe help you out.
    Joe.

15. jjdecay

jjdecay Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is an example of using Depth of Field,without a macro lens,and without using the macro setting on the camera.Everything was manual on a DSLR.You can do the same with your camera though.Just need a bit of practice,and a reletavly cheap filter....

[​IMG]

Let me know.
    Joe