leaks and onions that are going to seed

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by donmaico, Jul 13, 2008.

1. donmaico

donmaico Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Just noticed my leaks have developed what looks like rust - orange streaks and tiny blobs on the leaves. Maybe that is whey they bolted

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Donmaico

Rust is a fungal disease whereas bolting is physiological. The two things are quite different; one is very unlikely to have caused the other. Leeks can be heavily infected with rust and yet not bolt. Also, leeks which bolt don't automatically get rust.

I used to go in heavy handed with the fungicides if I saw rust spots on my leeks but it usually only strikes my crop late in the season. I therefore give my leeks a late summer feed and this beefs them up so they can tolerate a bit of rust till they're picked. You need to dispose of any infected leaves though; don't try and compost them.

3. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Forgot about this thread. Onions need a PH of 6 .

4. stony

stony Gardener

having a good time
    Ratings:
    +29
    Amazing. I have had a second year of really good onions. They are currently drying out. My soil is based on chalk and flint. All I have added is growmore and some purchased mixed compost from Lidl. Cannot believe that my pH is acid, but it maybe?
    stony

5. donmaico

donmaico Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks
    at the moment my onions dont look too bad but the rust appeared very suddenly on the leaks and looks quite heavy.They also seemed to have grown quite quickly this year and look ready to eat apart from the rust .Last year they were rather stumpy.