1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

leaves yellow then turn black and curl

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Frey, Sep 29, 2017.

1. Frey

Frey Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    Jerusalem artichoke in tub. The same thing happened this time last year also.

Just before flowers are due, the leaves start to yellow, then blacken and curl. All the tops are still green.

Any idea on the cause please?

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
      Ratings:
      +6,133
      Hi @Frey :) ive never grown Jerusalem Artichoke so have no personal experience ....hopefully someone in the Veg thread will see your post and answer.....you could also post your question in the GC Allotment thread maybe - i did do a google search and found this info Why Are My Artichoke Plants Turning Yellow and Dying? hope it helps in some way.......also due to your post i also found out that JA 's are very good for diabetes .....i have an Aunt with this condition , so I can pass this useful info on :blue thumb:

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +86,067
      I dont think Jerusalem artichokes always manage to flower here in the UK and often run out of summer.
      The roots will be ok to eat though.

@BeeHappy your link appears to be globe artichokes, a completely different kettle of artichoke.:biggrin:

• Funny Funny x 1
      • BeeHappy

BeeHappy Total Gardener

Mother Nature's Garden Apprentice
        Ratings:
        +6,133
        :doh: wot am i like - I just told me, Aunt, to eat JA's cos they're good for her :snorky: .....does that mean she'll have to eat Globe Artichokes :heehee:
        Best get back and put her on nutritional hold till i got me info right :help: ...thanks for the heads up @pete Gawd knows what i could have advised her :huh:

• Funny Funny x 1