Lost gardens of Heligan

Discussion in 'Garden Visits' started by Rich, Sep 20, 2006.

1. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We went in September 2005, maybe not the best time of year, but even considering that we were not impressed, we thought Lanhydrock was far better.
    Cheers MIKE

2. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Mike Heligon grows fruit and vegetables to recreate what a working Estate was like nearly a century ago when it belonged to the Tremayne family.Unfortunately many of the Estate staff were killed in the Great War of 1914-18 and the Estate fell into disuse for 90 years,when the Tremayne family lost heart in it.

Thanks to Tim Smit Heligon has now been reborne and the memories of those lost Estate workers are an education for many future generations of Gardeners and would be Gardeners :cool:

3. Dorsetmike

Dorsetmike Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    That's as maybe Kandy, all I can say is, yes he's done a good job, that I can appreciate, however the end result is just not my preferred type of garden.
    As I said above, to each his or her own.

4. Royster1

Royster1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Ladies and Gents,
    I have not taken the time to read all the posts on this thread but its still good to get the info about the history of the garden (Heligan), as its so sad. Thanks Kandy!
    These places are incredible and its great when we on GC take an interst and quite frankly preserve the name, in the longer term, as we here are the "heroes" of such places. Due to the fact that we discuss the wonderful gardens and buildings it preserves them for our kids and grand kids.

I used to live in this wonderful halls of residence (Oswald Hall in Ayrshire - where Robert Burns used to frequent) and even though it was bought and payed for because of/due to African Slavery and American political stuff back in 1750, or so, its very much a huge part of my life. I hate what it "represents" but I absolutely love the place!!

So, yes, I will definitely be visiting Heligan when I get to the lovely Cornwall early next month!

Sorry guys... I'm a little emotional right now about life. Its the best time to express oneself and boy, do I have some stories to share...
    Kindest regards to you all!!
    Roy