Lots of lettuce seedlings...

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Newbie1979, Jun 11, 2024.

1. Hanglow

Hanglow Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,953
    I find slugs don't bother lettuce as much as brassicas and they prefer green lettuce to red. I've taken to planting my red lettuce on the edge of beds and that seems to work quite well. As long as they are well watered in dry weather ( twice a week instead of once for most other crops) they do great in full Scottish sun

2. fairygirl

fairygirl Total Gardener

retired
    Ratings:
    +4,199
    It can also depend on the variety of lettuce as to how well they do against slugs, and how much sun they tolerate.
    I grow all of mine in containers because I don't have room for a dedicated veg. patch, and don't want to remove ornamental areas in order to have one as it wouldn't be worth it. Re reds being more slug resistant, I grew Mizuna [red] a couple of years ago and that was a waste of time - the slugs annihilated it completely!
    The other reds I grow, or have grown, are much more robust, and I do occasionally stick one or two in among other planting, especially if I have too many and they can then go to seed which I can collect. Deronda is brilliant for that, and is good at resisting mollusca. The lolla rossa types are a bit more slug resistant too IME. They're all good as cut and come again too, which suits me well, and I can also leave one or two to grow to maturity if I feel like it.
    I have neither the time or inclination to faff around with veg that needs constant attention though. I eat a lot of lettuce, so I don't mind taking a bit more care of that.
    They [lettuce] would certainly be easy enough here in a sunnier site in the ground [in terms of watering] but in a pot they get a bit more easily stressed, so I keep them a bit more sheltered from the sun - under the bench is good. :smile:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1