Making a heated propogating bench

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by philomel, Feb 4, 2015.

1. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Looking great Philomel:thumbsup: we can soon fill them up can't we,if we had heated benches 100ft long I bet we'd still fill them up in no time:dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • philomel

philomel Pottering in SW France

Ratings:
      +846
      Absolutely spot on Lilimac. I'm glad to get this underway relatively early, so now waiting for the first things to pop up so I can move them on and get more in there.... :hapfeet:

• Like Like x 1
      • Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
        Ratings:
        +3,702
        Here's my setup and photo history of me making it http://steve-randles.co.uk/PlotBlog/?p=533

I'm dismantling it at the end of summer so I can extend the greenhouse it is in, then I will build it again, incorporating the things into it that I now know I want.

Steve...:)

• Informative Informative x 1
        • Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          Brilliant Steve:dbgrtmb:..I've been meaning to put a proper cover on mine like yours to give the plants more head room,that I shall do:dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 1
          • philomel

Ratings:
            +846
            What a great setup Steve. Thanks for sharing. Mine's only 120x45 cm, which is why most of my polystyrene has gone outside the wooden sides. I put a thin layer in the bottom, but again there is a thick layer stuck under its floor on the outside. I need to get round to making a cover - I'm using fleece and bubble wrap layer loosely at the mo.
            What changes will you be making when you rebuild?
            :wow: :dbgrtmb:

• Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
            Ratings:
            +3,702
            I have recycled another 8 x 6 part glazed greenhouse, I already have enough glass to finish the job from another recycle some time ago.

The plan is to take down my existing 8 x 6, then build a two layer breeze block wall and re-erect both together on top, to give me a 16 x 6 that is 18 inches taller.

The heated propogater bench will be built again from the ground up, incorporating some heavy duty casters/wheels on the bottom (another recycle) so I can move the whole unit to clean behind it. I also want to build the upper part a bit stronger and make it modular, so that the top parts will actually be screens made of timber and polytunnel plastic, allowing me much easier access for watering etc. It also needs to be stronger because I intend to add a light unit to it too. That's about it, a job for late summer.

Steve...:)

• Like Like x 3
            • philomel

Ratings:
              +846
              That sounds a brilliant project. Looking forward to hearing all about it as it goes ahead later :love30: :dbgrtmb: :dbgrtmb:

• Agree Agree x 1