Mark78 garden project

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mark78, Dec 19, 2007.

1. Nursewhen

Nursewhen Gardener

Configuration management analyst
    Ratings:
    +45
    I've struggled with a bramble in my garden and I finally resorted to a systemic weedkiller.

They root into the earth's core.

2. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    We had masses of brambles but I just keep knocking the tops off with a hoe-like tool and I'm managing to keep on top of it. I do it about every 4 weeks and the job is getting easier as the brambles are getting weaker.
    From this [​IMG][/img]
    to this in 1 year [​IMG][/img]

3. Nursewhen

Nursewhen Gardener

Configuration management analyst
    Ratings:
    +45
    wow! That's some before and after!
    [​IMG]

4. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Well done Celia, what a cracking lawn.

5. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Well done Celia. youv'e worked Hard, its Lovely really lovely...

6. Mark78

Mark78 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow that is amazing and it only took a year you say. I now have much hope in my project. My machette arrived today and its a nasty looking weapon which gives me even more hope of destroying the brambles. It really is a scary piece of kit ive never used anything like it before.

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Oooo be carefull Mark :eek:

8. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Yes, they will. You probably need Pro Gard to answer this properly.The temptation would be to clear a small area for the kids near the house. Cut everything to ground level, have your bonfire, then as the stuff grows back use S.B.K. on it. However I wouldn't use that product, as a spray, when there are women or children in the area, might be better to use a watering-can when everyone has gone out for the day. Good luck [​IMG]

9. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Mark how wonderful of Celia to post that amazing transformation picture for you, I bet it gets your blood pumping knowing what you might be able to achieve in just a short time.

Don't rush things though take one step at a time as the guys have said, having ten days off at a time from work will more than help with your project.

I'm sure a little bit of the [​IMG] might encourage your neighbours to give you a helping hand or two although I'm not too sure that they will be ready to brave the outdoors if it's freezing out....it might have to be a tot or two of whiskey for that!

Good luck and keep us posted with your progress.
    Helen.xxx.

10. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks everyone for the compliments but I can't take all the credit in laws did most of the donkey work (both in their 70s!) and hubby cut the grass with his ride on which keeps the brambles down. Just take it slowly, we began at the house end and reached the top of the garden some months later; burning as we went. I've kept some brambles at the top to attract butterflies etc.

11. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    A machete will take forever. For brambels or waist high vegataion a Petrol hedge trimmer or chainsaw with an old chain is the quickest method. A brush cutter is not so good as it only cuts rather than mashing the waste and you get slowed down by cut stuff.

I would cut the brambles buring up the waste then tackle the roots with a pickaxe or matock. Anything that emerges in the spring spray with round up or dig up. When dried onto vegation roundup is safe for children and pets.

A few pictures of clerance jobs ive recently done, the first job was done in 6 hours.

The second took 3 days grub out snow berry hedge, remove rubbish and clear ground, cut back apple tree, clear fence line, fork and rake ground in prep for seeding in spring and finnaly not pictured prune shrubs in top garden, take down tree and take down chain link fence.

http://s240.photobucket.com/albums/ff163/paul1f/?action=view&current=IMG_1014.jpg

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Told you that P.G. would know. ;) P.G., why not S.B.K. :confused: I'd like to know, because that is my poison of choice for broad-leaved weeds [​IMG]

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Pro gard it's amazing what you can do with a chainsaw but also a little scary! :eek:
    Helen.xxx.

14. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    [​IMG] Top jobs PG.....
    What a grafter you are.

15. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Cajary, Nowt wrong with SBK but its more expensive than roundup and not available from the chemical suplier I use. Also a change in chemical means washing out my sprayer!

For a general clerance jobs and most weedkilling work I use a non selective like round up. Works out very economic at �£25 for 5 litres and 200ml- 10 litres water.

As a selective spray for brambles and docks then I use Blaster (from ALS) �£37 per litre with 60ml per 10 litres I suspect the AI is the same as SBK.