Mark78 garden project

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mark78, Dec 19, 2007.

1. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
  2. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    cany wait to see what it'll look like in 6 months time - i think you'll do wonders in that time.

3. Garden Apprentice

Garden Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Let me at it!

Negelcted gardens are a speciality of mine. I find it very satisfying hacking back overgrowth and weeds and revealing the garden underneath.

My own garden belonged to my grandparents and was very overgrown when we moved in 10+ years ago. I cut my gardening teeth clearing it and creating a nice garden.

Best of luck.

4. Mark78

Mark78 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello again I thought id post a few pics for you all to see and compare against the 1st set of pics. Ive had a busy few months hacking and slashing away at the mess. Its not much of an improvement but its not as bad as when we first moved into this property. I have a mini digger coming in this week so for the next few days ill be chopping everything up into small pieces so the digger can s****e away at it and then ill be having 1 or 2 fires to get rid of it all, luckily my neighbours dont mind me having a few fires. So enjoy the images ill post again soon.

Do you like the crash mat under my sons climbing frame? its the old carpet we ripped out of the lounge, we have been very busy redecorating the house too [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,664
    Hi Mark Grand job looks like a lovely Location as well keep us posted [​IMG]

6. Mark78

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes it is a stunning location its a million miles away from where I grew up, when I was a child I looked out of my bedroom window and looked upon rows of houses but now out of my bedroom window I can see sheep and Horses. I have to pinch myself sometimes. Luckily we moved house at the right time what with the so called credit crunch happening.
    Anyway today ive been reclaiming about 50% of my view onto the fields, its amazing how bright it now feels.
    [​IMG]

I uncovered this pile of logs which the previous tennant must have cut down many years ago. My dad says he will come and chop them with a chainsaw to get rid.
    [​IMG]

Gardening is my new hobby im loving going to town on it, maybee its my age as I turned 30 the other day ;)

7. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    What a difference [​IMG] you can see inside the greenhouse now, Are you keeping it Mark? Well done, keep sending the pics of each development :cool:
    Oh happy 30th Birthday for the other day..Dee..

8. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Mark, as you are finding out, gardening is addictive, but it`s a nice addiction. Enjoy. :D

9. joyce42

joyce42 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Buying plants is addicive,I must have no willpower J

10. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow looks like real progress there. About those logs though, i have a nice pile of logs from a tree that blew down in the winds and have just left it as a log pile for insects. A nice idea from Titchmarsh i believe. I've put it just next to my compost bin too, so they can nip next door for a munch. Its a nice breeding ground for beetles and woodlice :D

11. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Well done Mark things are happening and with a bit of luck and some more hard work from yourself you will be able to enjoy sitting out in your garden this year at least for a little while before the work starts again.Hel.xxx.

12. weekend gardener

weekend gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Oh don't chop all your logs up mark, they could make a nice feature. Maybe one lying down with flowers around it.
    WG

13. Mark78

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone im gatecrashing your forum once again with a few updated pictures of my garden. We have been very busy over the last few weeks as ive been off work for the holidays, enjoy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It was fun learning how to use the digger but once you get used to it its amazing how versatile they are. Unfortunetly on the 2nd day of using it one of the tracks came off so I was unable to scrape the surface to make it smooth, Also the front end is fill of little white stones which im guessing used to form a path in the gardens previous life. Toward the back there is a lot of broken shards of glass from the greenhouse. Looks like ill be getting out the bucket and going over every ince of the garden picking up all the glass shoiuld be great fun :(

Then over the next few weeks ill be raking it level then adding a load of grass seed, we looked at rolls of turf but they are just so expensive so a huge bag of seed will be thrown on it. I just hope the seed will take at this time of year.

14. Sar

Sar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Mark, you have made fantastic progress - very impressive! :thumb:

I can completely sympathise with the glass, with every step we make in our garden we find more and more :( Hopefully the greenhouse glass is localised to help the clearing job go more smoothly.

Keep up the great work, I look forward to seeing your next installment :)

15. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I just hope the seed will take at this time of year."

I think you should wait a bit, watering it to get it to germinate at this time of the year will be a lot of work, produce patchy germination, the plants will be stressed from the heat, and prevent you from going away at all whilst you nursemaid the new lawn. Early Autumn will be best.

Apart from the cost you can turf it at any time (but you will have to water frequently in Summer), any mileage in turfing a small area near the house and leaving the rest until a bit later?

Who's that old guy with you in the digger? :D