Mealy Bugs, neem or lavender or??

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by CanadianLori, Jun 22, 2018.

1. CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
    Ratings:
    +30,683
    I discovered what I think are mealy bugs on some of my plants. I used neem oil but have a limited supply and don't want to pause in my spraying regime.

I've been reading some of the old posts and would like to know what people think of this previously suggested treatments.

@Marley Farley had mentioned lavender oil (couldn't figure out the ratio) 1 0Z to a ??

Anyone got feedback on how this worked out on a continuing basis? Or have another kitchen mixed solution?

Many thanks
    Lori

2. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,125
    Hi @CanadianLori yes Lavender is more of a deterrent on its own I have found, but if you mix up 1oz lavender oil or 1tsp neem oil with 1tsp horticultural soap to 2litres of water.. Shake well to mix then spray your plants with that.. The soap is the secret as it softens the mealy bugs up so can absorb the oil.. You can use dish soap but make sure it is soap based not detergent which most are today.. Hope that helps :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 1
    • CanadianLori

CanadianLori Total Gardener

Battle Axe
      Ratings:
      +30,683
      Thank @Marley Farley . I'll follow your instructions. They sure are nasty little beasts!

• Like Like x 1