Meet Thumper.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by roders, May 5, 2010.

1. Freedom_Spark

Freedom_Spark Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    I rescued her from a local farm, I was talking to my friend about how awful it is when you see the feathers collecting outside the door a week or so before Christmas & he suggested rescuing one. I bought her off the farmer a few weeks before I knew they were going to be killed, he sells some 'on the foot' as he calls it, but he gave me a bit of a look when I said I was keeping her as a pet, just a pity I didn't have room for a few more at the time.

She's inquisitive alright, if she manages to get to the hens nest boxes before we do she manages to break and eat the eggs, she looks in my pockets for food & can even say hello, not in english obviously! She's a funny bird.

2. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Love it and well done you on rescuing her. The horrors that turkeys (and chickens) go through to provide us with cheap (and tasteless) meat would make a statue weep. If we had more room here, I would happily raise birds for the table, to avoid having to buy even the 'free range' birds in the supermarket.