1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Members Roses 2018

Discussion in 'Roses' started by wiseowl, Feb 19, 2018.

1. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    I've just been browsing an email from David Austins bare root roses.

I refrained from my usual looking, admiring and making out a list. No doubt about it, some most beautiful roses. No wonder DA must be the world's richest grower/breeder. At nearly eighteen quid a root to twenty plus pound.

Made me wonder. If I or anyone else purchased several bare root roses from DA and had the misfortune that a few died. This does happen even to the experts. I wonder just how easy it would be to get a refund. So I have to sit, look and admire. Sadly HM Gov. Don't allow for such luxuries with my pensions. Enjoy your garden.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      DSCI0041.JPG

• Like Like x 4
      • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
        Ratings:
        +5,404
        DSC01230.JPG DSC00840.JPG DSC00681.JPG DSC00706.JPG DSC00791.JPG DSC00773.JPG

• Like Like x 5
        • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
          Ratings:
          +5,404
          DSC00586.JPG DSC00643.JPG DSC00001 (1).JPG DSC00006 (4).JPG DSC00009 (3).JPG DSC00017 (1).JPG

• Like Like x 4
          • Agree Agree x 1
          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +52,610
            I would never spend good money on David Austin roses. They are far too expensive and the quality of the shrubs are no better than those from the couple of nurseries I currently use - which are also half the price.

Beautiful roses @Tetters. :thumbsup: Is the fourth from bottom 'Lucky!' ?

• Agree Agree x 2
            • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
              +100,836
              I agree, Sheal.:snorky: David Austin has made a major contribution on breeding modern roses and I can't think of any other grower who has succeeded in being able to market his name so that when Roses are mentioned people immediately think of David Austin.:love30:
              I buy roses that I've actually seen and knew that I wanted in my garden, and none of those have been David Austin:dunno: That's not because I dislike David Austin roses but possibly because I haven't accepted that only one grower's roses are superior to the rest. I'm lucky enough to have around 30 professional Rose Growers within a 12 mile radius of me and I've bought mainly from them and not Plant Nurseries. I say mainly because I have bought roses from a grower in Norfolk and Country Garden Roses in Shropshire. One of most prolific flowering Rose in my garden is "Generous Gardener"
              [​IMG]

which my Sister bought in a Bargain Corner at Country Garden Roses for the huge sum of £2 who, by the way, also sell David Austin roses under licence, cheaper than David Austin sells them:doh:
              Having said that, I certainly wouldn't deter anyone who has such confidence in David Austin that they will think of, and buy from, from them.

• Like Like x 2
              • Mike Allen

Ratings:
                +6,097
                Returning to the email. Some notes quoted said basically. Although some of the bare root plants may appear spindly, these will grow good in time.

My thoughts.......How long is TIME?

If I may relate something of a rose story.
                It must have been in the 70's, when the IRA bombings in Woolwich took place. I was head gardener at a military hospital. One day the driver from BOC, delivering medical gasses asked me if I could supply him and his friends with some roses.

At that time there existed an open market in Beresford Sq. One flower stall that I often bougt flowers for my mother from, also sold rose bushes. I had a word with the owner who said he could supply all I needed.

Soon the BOC driver turned up with several orders. Next a removal type lorry arrives at the main gate. This gave way to some amusement. Strict security was in place. The gate-keeper was the typical little man, peaked cap etc. Think of the old saying. 'Give a little man a peaked cap and he becomes God'

Some days later. Our 'Little peak-capped God' stormed into my office. His outburst laid claim to the fact, I was't a Christian, that my parents had spawned a monster and of course, I was B******. He corrected himself or promoted me by giving me the prefix of F/B******. He then proceeded to display his wounds to me and my staff. YES little God had insised on checking through the rose bushes.

My BOC driver, Alf, had nothing but praise on behalf of his workmates. Great roses. Mick he said. I had terrible thoughts that you might get the roses from Mills in the market. Little did he know. In fact Alf passed away some six months ago, and he lived in the next street to my daughter, so we often saw and spoke to each other. Mick, he'd say. Those roses are still doing great. Stan Mills had plot/nursery in Malden Kent.

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +52,610
                  You could say I'm a little bit jealous @ARMANDII. :) I could do serious damage to my bank account in those nurseries. :doh:

I've seen David Austin roses in many garden centres over the years and haven't actually come across one that was fit to buy. The quality of the plants are terrible, but whether that's down to David Austin or the garden centres I couldn't say.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Mike Allen

Ratings:
                    +6,097
                    Some fabulous photos there friends, thanks for sharing. I have to admit, when posting I perhaps feared that I might be shouted down, as some members go for the best. Many thanks as along with my little story. The big names do not always produce the best.

When turning my little garden into a garden of rememberance to Val. I spent a couple of hundred pounds on new roses. Mainly from a well known firm in Hertfordshire. I was sadly disappointed, more so as now most died. I dod complain but never recieved a reply. Later I order a few bare roots from Peter Beales. One rose, Super Star was a bit scraggy. By return of post, I had a replacement and a note of apology. So sad. The family became victims of the grim reaper. Peter's wife suddenly passed away then very soon after, Peter died. That not being enough, Anada followed shortly after, leaving the business in the hands of Andrew. Should I require more roses, Peter Beals wil be my choice.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                    • Like Like x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,836
                      We don't shout, Mike, we discuss and exchange opinions.:dunno::coffee::snorky:

My best rose is one that my Wife and I both loved. We bought it in the early 80's from a now defunct Superstore as a cellophane wrapped dry root/stick for 10 shillings and it's still going strong 30 years on.[​IMG]
                      [​IMG]
                      [​IMG]
                      [​IMG]
                      [​IMG]

This is Climbing Rose "Masquerade" which looks like different roses growing together as the flowers change colour as they grow older. The best 50p I've ever spent on a plant.:love30::snorky:

• Like Like x 4
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • Petemz

Petemz Gardener

Ratings:
                        +114
                        I buy my roses from local shops/supermarkets, usually cost around 2 to 3 pounds.
                        So far they have grown okay, I have had them for a few years now ( have a limited budget. )
                        I found that if i plant them completely surrounded with compost roots and all, and don't backfill with soil they seem to thrive, ( on clay soil here. ) :dunno:

• Like Like x 3
                        • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                          +100,836
                          I think Roses, are happier on clay soil, Petemz, than on sandy soil:dunno::coffee::snorky:. I garden on a depth of around 350' of pure sand, with an old Roman Sand Quarry about 25 yards from my House, and have found over the years that I have to really improve the site where I'm planting a Rose.

• Like Like x 2
                            Last edited by a moderator: Nov 6, 2018
                          • Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
                            Ratings:
                            +5,404
                            Fortunately Mike, we found this lovely friendly place to chat about things that are important to us, and it is such a different scene to the one we used to try and share on that other forum we used to post on :phew:..... good innit ..........:heart:

• Like Like x 3
                            • Agree Agree x 1
                            • Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
                              +0
                              You post what you like mate :thumbsup:

If anyone has a go at you, you come see uncle Zigs :paladin:

DSCI0266.JPG

• Like Like x 2
                              • Agree Agree x 1
                              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                                +100,836
                                So he can have a go at you!!:hate-shocked::whistle::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 2
                                • Agree Agree x 1