Military Cooperation between Britain and France announced

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Doghouse Riley, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Can I point out, the Entente Cordiale was first signed back in 1904. An alliance with France is nothing new. They also have a large army and are a successful nuclear power. Not the worst of allies to have, I'd have thought?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    The idea of co-operating with the French is nothing new. My Dad in the BEF fought alongside them in 1940 and the French rear-guard bravely ensured the majority of our troops were rescued off the beaches including him.

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    This is true,

My dad was in the Grenadier Guards, with the BEF in France, evacuated from Dunkirk, then the regements went as part of the 8th Army through the North African Campaign and then up through Italy. Fortunately came home without a scratch.

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    An alliance with the French is nothing new and an alliance with the Germans is nothing new. ( Think Waterloo) European politics since the year dot has been different countries joining together to prevent any other European country becoming too powerful. The Union is just European countries fighting each other economically rather than physically. I'm happy with that. My children/g/children don't get killed in pointless wars.
    We're not a 3rd world country as such. Our health Service operates far better than 3rd world countries, as does our infrastructure. However we're not a major power anymore. This belongs to America (fading) , Russia (they control our heat/power) China, India etc.
    I prefer the Union but our politicians have to be aware of how our "partners" view the situtation. As far as they are concerned, their country comes first and the Union second. I have a fear that our politicians don't understand this.

5. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    That's my view completely Cajary :thumb:

Same as mine, he also went on to fight in North Africa (he was an original Desert Rat in the Tank Corps) but was captured at the fall of Tobruk and spent the rest of the war as a prisoner. Not a great experience for him.

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
  7. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413

Never spoke much about the war. Apart from the odd amusing comment. Before they went to France he was asked once in the mess, "Does one take one's sword?" To which he replied; "If we're going to need bloody swords, we really are in trouble!" Quite prophetic. His only comment on his rescue at Dunkirk was that as they were waiting in lines on the beach, as he looked along the foreshore "It was black with discarded rifles."

Curiously, his favourite TV programmes were "Dad's Army" and "'all! 'allo!"

Your mum and dad as were mine, would have been invited each year to the Trouping of the Colour and the garden party at Buck House given by their Colonel in Chief, the Queen.

8. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Yeah. You're right about the guys that actually got their hands dirty in the war. I've got my Dads' medals in the loft.:wink: Never tell you anything about the dirty side of it, just the funny things.
    To get back to the subject, Can you imagine what would happen if it kicks off against the Argentinians again? :skp: The last time, while the fleet was making their way down there, the French were trying to tell the Argentinians the correct way to fuse the Exocets and use them in in their Super Entendard aircraft to make them most effective. Of course, the French had just sold them to them so they wanted to make sure they worked. Just the allies you need :lollol:

9. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    To get to the Falklands our troops would probably have to go onto the internet and book with Ryanair.

10. MartinHp71

MartinHp71 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    But have to leave all their kit behind because they can't afford the additional lugguage bill !! :hehe::hehe::hehe::hehe:

11. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    :lollol::lollol::lollol::lollol:

12. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,862
    We're a far way from being classed as Third World and the UK holds great influence still even though this is not directly apparent and the source of the influence must be held in history somewhere. Could the UK hold its own in a conflict now? Almost definitely not. Are we ridiculed, almost definitely yes! I hung my head in shame at the mention of this alliance, however well its intended, implemented and financed. Don't get me wrong, the French can be excellent and I think there will be good things t come from this announcement; I just can't shake the feeling that it will cause more problems than it solves.

Personally I think we should stick to the few remaining things we are good at (think of the boys in Hereford and Poole) for the good of the UK and then hire them out on a mercenary basis in the downtime. Maybe we should be allowed to think of ourselves from time to time.

Best we forget about Los Malvinas... they'll be back in Argentine hands within the decade.

I used to take great pride in my service career and have acted as mentor to those thinking of joining. I cannot now in all conscience recommend this career path with pride.