Moles

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by jovi, Jul 7, 2010.

1. jovi

jovi Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Can anyone help please?.

I have a mole in my garden and it seems to be super active. It's managed to upend dozens of bedding plants which I replant only to come home the next day and find them tipped on their sides again. Some are now beyond saving.

My lawn is a mess and the flowerbeds are not much better.

I've spent about £50 on traps, vibrating mole repellers and chemical free mole smokes but the little monster is still having a field day in my flower beds. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Get a thick pair of gloves and a metal bucket, creep up to a run, open a hole then wait. Mr mole will notice the difference in air pressure, come to investigate, grab him & put him in the bucket.

Then release him on a national monument. They will be safe there & will dig up treasures that you can't metal detect for.

Released a bucket of moles on maiden castle & theve dug up loads of iron age pottery

3. caroljaye

caroljaye Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I read in a garden magazine that moles detest human male urine! I know, I know,,,,, it sounds pretty gross, but its human nature I guess, and as my son has moles in his garden constantly, I suggested this to him, and although it took a while to have the desired effect, it seems to be working! So give it a try! He spent loads of money on various different devices, which did nothing at all! Good luck!:thmb:

4. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    traps have always worked for me. just make sure you use gloves and rub them over with soil first, cos they hate human scent

5. jovi

jovi Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks for the advice. At the moment my flowerbeds and lawn are a total mess, luckily all my fruit and veg are in pots or hanging baskets.

I can't believe one mole can do so much damage, I've even found daff bulbs on top of a heap of soil in the back of a flowerbed. Is it possible that there could be more than one? My garden is tiny (about 40ft by 20ft) and I thought moles were solitary creatures. :scratch:

6. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    probably only one mole as they have very large territories. but if you manage to get rid of that one, be careful a neighbouring one doesnt move in

7. Nibbles

Nibbles Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

I have found this method works slightly, it does seem to deter it from where you do it but it just moves on to another part of the yard. It's a bit like going in circles. I now have 2 traps and they keep getting set off but still no mole, this mole is my nemesis.

8. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Years ago, we had one in our garden and I tried a trick I read about - I put a metal pole in the hole and then banged on it with a hammer. I did this several times over several days and, sure enough, the mole left, never to come back.

Some other tips I have since read about are - putting a rag drenched in parafin in the hole drives them away. Same goes for dropping a few mothballs in.

Our kids get moles every year during the cold period in their garden, just in time for Christmas, scream! They come in from the slightly lower laying field out back. Perhaps it gets water-logged and they come up to higher ground. They never could get rid of theirs for good, it always came back the next cold period. I think it was a whole family as there were countless hills.

Hope you manage to get rid of yours ASAP, Jovi.

9. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    moles breed around xmas time, thats why they move about, to find a mate

10. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    I didn't know that, thanks for the info, Randy.

11. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    Put a stick with a tin on top, or something which moves to the wind and produce vibration (they don't like vibrations) or smoke their tunnels with a firework kind of device. Poisonous food can work if it takes a while for them to finish it all otherwise if it is something quick to eat and the first mole dies, the others will not eat any of the stuff.
    Changing subject, if you need to chase rabbits: use ferrets.

12. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I used to have a cat who was brilliant at catching moles.
    Could be an option if the problem becomes chronic.

13. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    now, that's a proper old fashioned cat! My cats would run away...

14. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    i have 2 cats that catch moles. one got 6 in a year!!! maybe i should rent them out? :thumb: