Monty Don

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by glenw, May 22, 2008.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    This reminds me of when Geoff Hamilton had to retire from Gardener's World for health reasons after his first heart attack. I really wish he had taken life easily from there on but I was astounded to hear he was doing a charity bicycle ride when he suffered his fatal attack. :(

Incredibly noble of him to have done this activity but so sad that he was cruelly taken away from us in his '50's. I wish his family had made him rest more. He still could have been making such a massive contribution to the gardening world - perhaps limiting himself to writing. He is still sorely missed.

Carol Klein is like a female version of Geoff to my mind - brimming over with enthusiasm but with a mind for those of us on a tight budget too. Perhaps she and Joe will co-present the program from now on?

I loved Geoff and I hope that Monty D seriously does decide to rest up and recover and not take on too much strain and can carry on making his contributions to our favourite pastime without jeopardising his health.

I wonder do any of our BBC gardening superstars read this site? Would be nice to think they may pop in now and again!

JJ Thanks for your PM - I wish you and Jack all the very best. MAKE HIM TAKE LIFE EASY! :thumb:

2. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    This may sound cruel - but i would rather being doing something i loved when i go.

Does seem heartless, but not at all. We all know about our disabillaties on here. The thing in common we have is loving gardens one way or another. Whether we're on here because we love certain flowers or gardens, or because we indroduce each other this way, we get friends on here.

Whatever anyone thinks, please wish the best to those suffering. And I'm not a softy - so FU***** Y*********, if you ******* then***.

And if you understood all that rubbish you're better - no - worse, than me!!!

cheers
    I wish everyone on here the best, anyone on here that doesn't deserve it won't get it!!

3. Slinky

Slinky Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Best wishes to Monty and i just pray that Joe Swift does not take over,I cannot handle that smarmy git

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Have to agree with Borrowers (not the swearing part cheeky girl:D) but where she says 'i would rather being doing something i loved when i go' after all where gardening is at least concerned don't we all garden as if we will live forever? Hel.xxx.

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Sad to hear about Monty, The guy is someone with a genuine intrest and knowledge unlike the many unknowledgable desighners like joe swift or plain plonkers like alan titchmarsh ( sadly due to titchmarshes apalling coveradge of chelsea and also his iritating manner I didnt watch it).

Monty Don's book jewel garden is worth a read and provides a great insght into him.

As for the 80 garden tour, agree with Rodders, absolutly awful!!

6. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Sad news to hear about Monty.I had read somewhere that he had periterntis while away filming around the world in 80 gardens and that because his wife called the medical services as soon as she realised that he was ill,it saved his life.Didn't think of a stroke though.Strokes can affect many people in different ways.My dad never survived his though he did last another six months before he passed away.He was only 59.

A friends husband had a mini stroke three years ago and has had to have a few ops on different arteries to clean them out and is now recovering from having stents put in but it has knocked him right back.Being a heavy smoker didn't help:rolleyes:

JJordie sorry to hear about Jack but glad that he was treated in time and has had the stents put in.Hope he takes it easy as everyone on here says and he should make a full recovery given time:thumb:

7. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Borrowers - Am I being paranoid here - or is this a response to the post I made just beforehand?

I don't know what I have said to provoke such an unusual reaction from you, but if I have inadvertently offended you I want to say sorry and to say I hope no-one else took offence to what I said. :confused::confused::confused:

I have a debilitating illness, and have done for the past 4 years. At 38, I know what it is like to have your health and career suddenly stripped away from you and I would never disrespect or wish anyone in a similar condition, ill. I was just saying I wished people would work within their capabilities and not take unnecessary risks by overdoing things.

:(

8. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Oh CM, not at all mate, I'm sorry if i came across like that. Oh dear, I am sorry.

I wasn't being flippant at all about people's disabilities, me & my o'h have them. I would never disrespect anyone for that. Or most other things actually. You should know that by now, surely. I am a big softy. I am (only) 48 JUST:) and have not been able to work for the past 5 years after working since leaving school so I know about that.

Please believe me i never had you in mind (or anyone else) at all when I posted, I was trying to make you all smile a bit. Doesn't come across properly without the smilies we used to have:(. So to anyone I may also have offended, I'm sorry I really didn't mean to.

So back to my cheeky self, yes CM you are a bit paranoid but so am I!!! Don't ever think I would be nasty.

I think Helen knows me by now & she took my post as it was meant. No offence to anyone. OK then. Right. Can't believe I've upset you. I'm sorry.

So friends then?

cheers

9. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    BIG PHEW!!!
    Oh Borrowers I am so relieved!!! Thank you for the above post - it has put my mind to rest and I'm sorry if my paranoia at upsetting anyone on here led me to misinterpret your post.

DEFINITELY friends xxx

10. moyra

moyra A knackered Veteran Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +9,817
    Whoops, I also must be paranoid because I too took umbrage at it, I too am disabled but try to make light of it, and then I thought 'oh don't go there Moyra stay away! Lol. So glad the matter was sorted amicably before anyone pressed any buttons.:D

11. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    I was too busy trying to make out the words that Borrowers was trying to say to get offended.I managed to figure out what some said but not the rest.....:D

Answers on a postcard please:thumb::D

12. THE MASTER

THE MASTER Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hope monty has a window bed .
    :D
    that should get him back on his feet #

13. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sandra (Borrowers) is a sweetie a little crazy at times (but who isn't) I wouldn't want her to be any other way.... glad things are sorted out Cookie because I for one would be lost without her she's a very special person to me indeed.:)

Keep up your cheeky ways girl 'Sandra's in da house!:thumb: Hel.xx.

14. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Hello, it's me again:rolleyes:

Kandy you'd have a hard job working out what the expletives were - cos they don't exist! I don't know any words that long;) It was meant as I said in my reply to CM, no offence at all and looking at it now i still can't see what I said but never mind, it's over.

Thanks Helen. You know what I'm like. Cheers.

15. The Lost Antheus

The Lost Antheus Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Was sorry to hear about Monty and I wish him a speedy recovery