Morning Glory

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Gillypetunia, Apr 3, 2007.

1. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    All my MG died [​IMG]

They went for about a month up a cone, 5/6 flowers too then suddenly, turned up their noses and died. I am now trying black eyed susan... ;)

2. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    Wonder what the problem was? Maybe a bit too cold for them at that point, and they keeled over? They are tender, after all..... Black-eyed susans are a bit tender too, but since you're well into May now, you shouldn't have the same problem with them.

3. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :confused: Dunno. They were doing so well... in a matter of days they went. I was telling my mum about it (cos she just came back from Majorca and she took pics of millons of MG everywhere just for me!) and she said that she used to try and grow them and had the same problems... I will try again tho as they are stunning when in flower [​IMG]

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,157
    Gillypetunia, really, you are worse than me with seeds ... Sweet Peas and Morning Glory ... but so far you are having success with Black-eyed Susan!

Maybe you over-pamper them, perhaps over-watering or under-watering ... or something?

5. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Gilly - it may well be the cold at night. I put a lot of tender stuff out almost a month ago in small pots. And we haven't had any frost since - because I have been monitoring it. However A number of them have looked very unhappy, the leaves have turned yellow, they droop down, and the plants refuse to grow. Some I have had to rescue and put in the house. On one plant Salvia 'Mystic Spires' which will overwinter outside (when it has no leaves on), the new leaved turned such a dark blue they looked black.

The lesson I have learnt is that low temperature, not just frost, can be very damaging to tender plants.

6. Liz

Liz Gardener

Ratings:
    +65
    Mine are still in the plastic green house waiting to be planted out- mainly because I haven't got round to it. They're all flowering, poor things. I think you're right PeterS, even in the plastic greenhouse there've been one or two chilly nights.
    My 'Mystic Spires' survived on the floor of the greenhouse, I thought it was dead but I planted it in the border when I saw a tiny green leaf and it's going great guns.
    [​IMG]

7. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    Mine are out with slug pellets ! I grew mine from seed, the white one for a change. Slugs do like them, I did lose about two to slugs because I forgot to put pellets down.

They are not flowering yet but are growing slowly.

8. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I lost about six plants to slugs Stingo, had them outside to harden off on the gravel next to the greenhouse, thinking that they would be safe from slugs but whats gravel to a few determined little B!!!!s. :mad: I really don't like putting pellets down but might have to.

9. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    I had MGs germinating from seed self-sown last year but now we are having this cold, wet, miserable, horrible snap they seem to have miraculously disappeared again. Could be slugs, though.

10. elainefiz

elainefiz Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I will tell you about the MG i grew to give you all a giggle.I think they`re heavenly blue.
    I think i already told you about the viburnum i murdered.Well the MG was to replace it to grow up the lovingly crafted trellis mr.fiz built and nailed to the wall for me.
    I dragged one of the chimney pots from the back yard to the front, thinking it would give them a head start on height.I filled it three quarters up up with newspaper trying to save on compost.Planted the MG and a couple of asters.Very pleased.
    Later,after a heavy downpour.....Went out to check all was well to find they had disappeared.
    I had put the chiney pot directly underneath the dodgy guttering and the weight of the falling rain had sunk the lot to the bootom of the pot.
    I have since stuck a pot of dahlias inside the pot and will make do... :rolleyes: :D

11. dalbuie

dalbuie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thats a shame elainefiz, you just were not meant to have them! :D

12. Brackenbeds2

Brackenbeds2 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have about 20 MG plants that i sowed about 6 weeks ago.

I have planted some out and left some in pots on the patio.A few of the ones i planted out are struggling, the ones in pots are shooting away.

13. lotvdaisy

lotvdaisy Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello all, I planted some MG seeds at the beginning of May and they have been outside all the time. I've managed to avoid the slugs, though I don't know how because I feel like I hold the world record for slugs and snails! However, as with a lot of you, they're really struggling, the first set of leaves are green but the second set are really tiny and yellow/dead. Reading all your replies it's given me some hope. Failing that I'll have to plant the spare seeds.

Good luck all with MG success

lotvdaisy

14. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    lotvdaisy - that sounds like the cold. I have MGs doing the same and other plants too. I bought some plants inside the house and it helped them a lot.

My MGs are outside and suffering. They are only about two inches high. But today I noticed two of them have just flowered! From all that I hear MGs like the warmth. I understand that the further north you go the less flowering you get from them. I can't say mine have even been very good. I am tempted to give up on them, there are plenty of other things that flower wonderfully.

15. Gillypetunia

Gillypetunia Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Maybe there was a bad batch of MG's this year? :confused: Unless you are in Spain of course! :D