Most Annoying TV Adverts....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Osbaldwick, May 25, 2010.

1. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    'Oh Yes', lol.

Agree with you all! another one for me is the one for the bank of england coins that are going out of production or something! The way the woman stands and the voice - aahhhgg. I too am a great flicker of the remote, much to hubbies annoyance:hehe:

cheers

2. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    You guys actually watch adverts.:rotfl: Get a life.:)

3. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Adverts are unavoidable if the remote control is just out of reach.

You can also sometimes be exposed to adverts as well as some programmes due to "passive viewing."
    Here's the "Urban Dictionary definition" I posted some years ago.

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=passive%20viewing&defid=2610886

4. Surfer

Surfer Gardener

Ratings:
    +26
    We both think that the Go Compare advert is the most annoying, so much so that when we had to renew our insurance recently we never went near their site or the meerkat one.

5. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    exactly! we may remember their adverts, but we sure as hell wouldnt use their products, so by making their ads annoying, they're defeating the object of advertising

6. Sussexgardener

Sussexgardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +41
    Subliminal though. Despite the annoyance of the Go Compare adverts, you will veer towards their website when looking for an insurance quote.

Same as Compare the Meerkat adverts - annoying but memorable.

I guess adverts come in two forms - the wow factor (Guiness ads, for example) or deeply annoying. The fact we are discussing them proves they do work...:flag:

7. Blueroses

Blueroses Gardener

Ratings:
    +2

Because you're worth it !! :lollol:

8. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    I think they're a little difficult to avoid, cajary, since you now get about six seconds of broadcasting in between bouts of product-pushing. There are only so many trips to the kitchen you can make.

I also have to confess to enjoying some of them in a schadenfreude-ry kind of a way. What about the woman with the scary fringe who slipped over at work and claimed compensation for her accident? Pity she didn't sue her hairdresser as well. And where do they get all those ill-favoured actors who appear on Ocean Finance? 'We got into trouble with our finances so we .... took out another loan.' Doh!

9. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Clara. no offence intended in my other comments.:) The other alternative is, when the adverts come on, flick through to the news channels. :wink:

10. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,457
    Hi cajary,
    I don't have much of a problem ignoring ads as I always have a book with me. So when the ads come on I pick the book up. The only problem with that are the ads with the horribly persistent annoying tunes or noises :mad:. Then I press the mute button.

The only ads that I look at are the ones that Mrs shiney says are humorous or she doesn't understand them. Sometimes I agree that they are humorous - the first time. :hehe:

The ones that she doesn't understand I usually explain to her - and she still doesn't understand them :scratch:. She is a highly intelligent person but I have to qualify the explanation with 'You aren't the sort of person they are aiming the ad at'. :hehe:

I'm not quite sure what that makes me :scratch:, as I do understand them :( :rotfl:

11. Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +865
    In addition to the above, I offer ...

The one for green giant sweet corn with the two little lads. If my child said 'What's this then?' I'd hit it, no child naturally speaks like that, they're far more likely to say 'What's this Mum?'

There's an ad for some detergent where a woman looks ready to burst into tears whilst saying something like 'I must get these stains out' followed by 'I've got to get it right first time'. Lighten up dear! No pun intended).

There's also one for some cleaning product which says something like 'gets rid of tough marks' followed by the words '.. even when used neat ..' Even when used neat? If a cleaning product works in a dilute solution, why would it not work neat? :cnfs:

I hate any advert where the final word 'now' is shouted at me - especially the one in which the child shouts it.

On the upside - at least Barry Scott has, if only temporarily, stopped shouting at us. Oh, and by the way Barry, if your original Cillit Bang was so wonderful, why have you brought out so many others? Could it possibly be because, (having tried some of the original) I found it was a complete waste of money?

Finally, there's an ad for some loan company whereby you can get '... up to £1,500 ..' It's hilarious, watch it next time and read the print at the bottom of the screen 'Typical 2278% APR' . The only thing they've missed off is the 'if you're prepared to take out a loan with an APR like ours, you ruddy well deserve to be in debt.'

12. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Good observations Fidgetsmum, I think a lot of these things are intentional to make you stop and think a bit more - its very subtle.

s00k

:hehe:

13. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Sorry for delay. Very interesting comments. Are we in a BB world? JWK - will it work do you think?

cheers

14. RandyRos

RandyRos Gardener

Ratings:
    +404
    I must be awkward then, cos I wont go to those websites because the ads annoy me so much. :lollol:

15. ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,730
    Ads never influence me at all. Anyway, can't stop. Just off to get my fringe done just like that woman who slipped over at work and got lots of lovely compensation for being hideous. :cool: (Chorus of: 'you look like that already, Mum' from my delightful kids.):p