Most reliable Grass Seeds

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by LawnAndOrder, May 13, 2024.

1. LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
    Ratings:
    +300

A big thank you for the advice re Johnson seeds, they give excellent and superfast results, as featured below; you can see the recently reseeded patches (which were shown above in their damaged state above) in the lower left foreground.

I am still puzzled by the balancing act between overseeding (or seeding damaged patches) and using products like Evergreen or Aftercut, both being recommended.

Is regular overseeding compatible with the above-mentioned products?

upload_2024-6-30_0-31-15.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Plantminded

Plantminded Keen Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +2,859
      Good to know you’ve had excellent results @LawnAndOrder. The grass should now provide adequate cover by expanding in its normal growth habit, without the need to overseed. Products like Evergreen and Aftercut advise not to sow new seed for a period after use, and also not to use them for a period after sowing. Check the instructions for details. If your lawn is weed and moss free and a good healthy colour there should be no need to use these products. An application of Blood Fish and Bone in early spring should be enough to give your lawn a boost before it starts actively growing. Enjoy your new lawn!

• Useful Useful x 1
        Last edited: Jun 30, 2024
      • LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
        Ratings:
        +300
        I agree that overseeding is not always necessary but seeding is another matter; I find that it is, sadly, constantly necessary to so some re-seeding; today, I found a small cluster of poa annua intermingled with a bunch of doves-foot cranesbill; as I say, small, but by the time I had disentangled and removed the clusters, I was left with a bald area of about 13 cm in diameter which had to be replenished with fresh topsoil and re-seeded; I have currently three areas like that, some bigger than others.

There is a bit of a chicken and egg situation here; this state of affairs has arisen because I had not been able to use any weedkiller this year because of the spring overseeding … there is a really difficult balance to find here …

• Plantminded

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,859
        Yes, you need to eliminate the weeds as best you can @LawnAndOrder. It takes time to get the right balance, and patience!

• LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
        Ratings:
        +300
        One last question: we have done a lot of work on our lawn and it is probably as good as it is going to get. There are still quite a few inexplicable brownish patches which we have assumed to be due to roots of nearby bushes or trees. But objective observing reveals those to be present in almost every lawn, bowling greens, etc., in every park or public places … What ARE those brownish, light ochre, patches?

Below is a typical example (chosen at random) of a bowling green in Roehampton, a lawn far removed from any shrubs, trees, or anything else … So WHAT is causing this very obvious unevenness endemic of almost all lawns (those of Wimbledon being perhaps seemingly immune)?
        upload_2024-7-3_12-36-44.jpeg

• Plantminded

Retired
        Ratings:
        +2,859
        I would say that the variation is due to a difference in the underlying soil, due to an obstacle like tree roots, utility pipes, rubble, a seam of clay or rock, moss, ants’ nests etc. This will affect water retention and the availability of nutrients and thus the quality of growth. I’ve got patches in my lawn as I’m sure many others do too. It’s probably best to accept these and not get too concerned about lawn perfection or you will be forever worrying about it. Your garden looks delightful by the way:).

Last edited: Jul 3, 2024
      • LawnAndOrder

LawnAndOrder Gardener

Dilettante
        Ratings:
        +300

Many thanks for your considered observations.

Regarding the tyranny of perfectionism, you are quite right, of course: the spur and curse of all endeavours and, as you write, to be kept under control … rather like weeds!

Mrs LawnAndOrder, reading your comments, exclaimed: I’ve been saying this all along!

Thank you again, you have enriched our garden.
        upload_2024-7-4_0-30-43.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
        • Plantminded

Retired
          Ratings:
          +2,859
          • Friendly Friendly x 1