1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

MOT Reminders

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by HarryS, Sep 19, 2018.

1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,836
    When I take my car to the garage who services it he has to take the car to a registered MOT center to get it passed.:coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • BellaBlue

BellaBlue Gardener

Ratings:
      +455
      People here always talk of it being different on the mainland for MOT but I guess it isn’t really.

Perhaps you can tell that I don’t drive, that’s best left to others! :snorky:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +52,541
        Have you looked into renting a car @Fat Controller? My son does in America and my niece does here.

• Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +49,474
        I did before I took ill - to get something of a decent size, you are talking a lot of cash each month and then you have to hand the car back at the end of three years or so, and then there is the usual wrangling about a scrape on an alloy or a chip on the bonnet....

I could rent on the days I need a car, but even that is relatively expensive and does not allow for those spur of the moment trips, plus I have to accept that my mobility is nowhere near good enough to be walking to car hire places all the time. For most things, such as going round town etc, I will still be in my wheelchair as I simply cannot walk for that sort of distance. Going back to work, it will be wheelchair & bus, although that comes with its own problems thanks to the ever decreasing frequency of bus services around here - and if there is a wheelchair (or even a parent with a buggy) already on the bus..... well, that is a wait of 40-60 minutes as a minimum. I start to go back to work as of next week, so we will see how that pans out in practical terms and then go from there.

It may be that I have to consider a car purely to restore some level of normality, but I do not want to go back to the commuting pattern that we were doing before I took ill - - I would rather use the car less frequently, and have something that is for days out, if that makes sense. The reason I said Volvo or Jag was purely based on my past experience - they are like armchairs on wheels, usually automatic, and rarely look their age; you can get one at 10-15 years old, and yet it still looks and feels like a really nice car.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
        • Like Like x 1
        • andrews

andrews Super Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
          Ratings:
          +2,369
          Ive subscribed to the reminders as the garage we used to MOT a car has changed hands and is now one of the bucket shops. Service has declined and they are always pushing to upsell which has turned me off. A bad repair job and terrible customer service from the same garage with my parents car confirmed that they have no interest in their customers. They do send me an MOT reminder but adding it here means that I still get reminders after Ive taken my business to someone who at least feigns interest

• Like Like x 2
          • silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
            +8,083
            Absolutely right @Fat Controller husband has a Jaguar xf 4.2 automatic which is nearly 10 years old and looks pretty much like new. This could be because I refuse point blank to drive it as it has cream carpets, cream carpets for god's sake we live in the countryside:yikes: and I'm more or less a walking compost heap:). He bought it in Northern Ireland when it was about 3 years old. It did not cost huge amounts of money and was a fraction of it's new cost. It's extremely comfortable and lovely on long trips. The down side is it is heavy on fuel (not too bad on motorways) and servicing is also a bit dear. It's probably worth buttons these days but still very much looks and drives like an expensive machine. Funnily enough the previous owner kept it for "days out" and had a box on wheels for commuting to work.
            I have no idea how long husband intends to keep the car but if he was thinking of selling her I'll let you know, I'm sure he would not be expecting to get much for her! Not a spot of rust yet despite the fact that she sits out 365 days a year.

• Like Like x 2
            • Agree Agree x 1
              Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +52,541
              Hmmm, I understand where you're coming from. Obviously a different system is used in America, my son got a good deal there and has the option to buy at a reasonable price when the lease is up.

I hope all goes well with your return to work but travelling at peak hour is going to be difficult for you obviously. I assume that working for London Transport you either get free or subsidised fares, that at least will slightly offset your expenses at the moment.

• Like Like x 1
              • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                Ratings:
                +49,474
                I've not long got shot of a deal just like that - the car I had was worth less than the amount that I would have had to buy it for (and I would have had to finance that purchase at a similar monthly rate to the one I had been paying) - we toyed with the idea of carrying on, and keeping the car sitting there until I got fit enough, but it made no sense financially (the payments were £400 for the car, then there was the service plan etc on top).

I have a contact in 'the trade' - friend of a neighbour - and having a bit of a boys chat at the weekend, he was saying that he gets tons of stuff through his place. He showed us a couple on his phone, one of which was a Jag XJ at around 10 years old, absolutely mint condition; he reckoned that the finance on that one would be around £160 - £180 a month, which is vastly less than we were paying, so there is tons out there. He had a Range Rover too which was nice, but I wouldn't see me going for something like that.

I do get free travel, which is handy, but yes it is going to be difficult in peak hours particularly as we are out in the sticks here, so whilst we have the traffic levels that they get a wee bit further in, we don't have the bus and train services to match. Having said that, we are still better off than many parts of the country - another ten miles out from here and you would be stuffed if you lived there and didn't have a car.

• Like Like x 3
                • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                  Ratings:
                  +118,310
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                    Ratings:
                    +49,474
                    I have, but with my limited PIP term it might be detrimental to me to use that component of my benefit to have a brand new car sitting at the door. If, as is likely, I lose PIP once I improve in health, I would then instantly lose the car - not fun.

Interestingly, I have had a chat today with that friend of my neighbour who still has that rather lovely Jag, which has dropped in price (think he wants it out of his stock before the end of the year) which is now at such a price it is only a fraction of my mobility component each month. Given that it is over £250 less per month than the Nissan was costing, and the insurance is only £3 a month more than I was paying....... I must admit, I am getting very tempted.

He also has a Range Rover, but that is way too big for me, and he tells me that he struggles to get Volvos that are in good enough condition that he is happy to sell - - he deals only in a small number of cars, and they have to be spot on for him to be remotely interested in them. He categorically will not sell Audi as they have "trouble stamped all over them" (never thought I would hear that about an Audi!), but does also have Mercedes and BMW's........ but, those are back up toward the money I was paying for the Nissan.

I could obtain finance up to about £20k without much trouble, as my credit rating is now back to normal (sorted the Santander problem out, and to their credit they corrected my file) - BUT, I do not want to be going back to lashing out over £400 a month on a car.

I also don't want to go back to driving around town and sitting in traffic every rush hour - I would like us to walk and use the bus, and then have something nice that we can use for weekends and holiday days out, that way also saving on fuel whilst also being better for our health. Of course, if the weather etc was bad, then we could fall back on the car, but I don't want it to be our default.

So, yes - - I am definitely thinking..........

EDIT - I also do have to admit that there is a bit of me screaming at myself that after the year I have had, I kinda deserve a bit of comfort, but I am trying to keep that voice at bay :snorky:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                      Ratings:
                      +85,629
                      £400 a month for a car, you cannot be serious man.:biggrin:

• Agree Agree x 1
                      • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                        Ratings:
                        +49,474
                        That is what I was paying - three years into the PCP deal, it got handed back and I had absolutely no equity in it (it was worth about £3k less than they wanted for me to continue to buy it outright, mostly thanks to the government demonising diesel). Oh, and that doesn't include the service plan that I was paying for every month too. £15k in the three years and nothing to show for it. Makes this £6k Jag look like an absolute bargain!

• Informative Informative x 1
                        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                          Ratings:
                          +85,629
                          Yep, if you are strapped for cash I'd go for something around that price, although not a jag to be honest.
                          There are loads of decent second hand stuff at that price, but not a jag.:biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
                          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
                            +100,836
                            Perhaps, but apart from the initial cost, there is also maintenance, MOT, tax and the Insurance which for a Jag might not be cheap. While you, yourself, might think/believe you are medically fit to drive a car, as you were before you fell ill, the Insurance company might not think so if you inform them of the past problem., and if you don't and the Insurance company doesn't like that they could invalidate your insurance and refuse to pay any claim.:doh:

• Agree Agree x 1
                            • Fat Controller

Public Transport
                              Ratings:
                              +49,474
                              My reasons for even giving it consideration are many, but the main one is that I have had two in the past, and I love them; I know for sure if I were to go for something (sensible!) like a Fiesta or similar, it would then be a daily runner because that is what they are - daily runners, and I really, really don't want to go back there.

I did a lot of restoration work on my last Jag (bought it as a project, knowing what I was getting myself into), so am quite comfortable with their ins and outs - they are actually not all that expensive in terms of spare parts, it is mostly fuel and insurance that kills people. Insurance, as I am an old, safe, git is not a problem, so that leaves fuel; if it is not a daily runner, but quite literally a domestic thing and my toy (and that is the big thing really, it would be a toy for me), then fuel shouldn't be too silly.

• Informative Informative x 1