1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. November Photo Comp is now open with a great new theme.! Come and join in.
    Dismiss Notice

Moved roses to new house - prune this winter?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by tim091, Sep 3, 2018.

1. tim091

tim091 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    With great trepidation I dug up my seven roses to move to a new house (well, garden to be more precise).

They were about three years established in the old garden.

It has been six weeks since I planted them in the new garden and after initial complete leaf browning and dropping they are all now showing healthy shoots, and even a rose!

Phew, looks like they have survived! But I had to prune them pretty hard to move and then to tidy up the dead wood after so I wonder if I should go for the usual hard prune in Feb/March or leave them be?

2. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +729
    Welcome to Gardeners' Corner and well done on moving them successfully!

I would leave them be myself, apart from giving them a good feed when they start to get going next spring.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl Friendly Owl Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +54,826
    Good morning @Tim Shields I would check on their growth in Feb/March and then lightly prune and tidy them up removing any deadwood and crossed canes to an accepted shape :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • tim091

tim091 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +2
      Thanks both for your replies. I am inclined to leave them be to "get over their ordeal", but as they are showing such strong signs of growth I will probably play it by ear and see how they are looking in Feb.

The soil here is terrible - flint and clay - so I planted them in deep trenches filled with manure and rose compost mixed. It was the hottest day of the century when I planted them so much watering followed!

• Like Like x 2