1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Moved roses to new house - prune this winter?

Discussion in 'Roses' started by tim091, Sep 3, 2018.

1. tim091

tim091 Gardener

Ratings:
    +46
    With great trepidation I dug up my seven roses to move to a new house (well, garden to be more precise).

They were about three years established in the old garden.

It has been six weeks since I planted them in the new garden and after initial complete leaf browning and dropping they are all now showing healthy shoots, and even a rose!

Phew, looks like they have survived! But I had to prune them pretty hard to move and then to tidy up the dead wood after so I wonder if I should go for the usual hard prune in Feb/March or leave them be?

2. Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,731
    Welcome to Gardeners' Corner and well done on moving them successfully!

I would leave them be myself, apart from giving them a good feed when they start to get going next spring.

3. wiseowl

wiseowl FRIENDLY ADMIN Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +89,885
    Good morning @Tim Shields I would check on their growth in Feb/March and then lightly prune and tidy them up removing any deadwood and crossed canes to an accepted shape :smile:

• Like Like x 1
    • tim091

tim091 Gardener

Ratings:
      +46
      Thanks both for your replies. I am inclined to leave them be to "get over their ordeal", but as they are showing such strong signs of growth I will probably play it by ear and see how they are looking in Feb.

The soil here is terrible - flint and clay - so I planted them in deep trenches filled with manure and rose compost mixed. It was the hottest day of the century when I planted them so much watering followed!

• Like Like x 2