Mowing the Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by elliegreenwellie, May 2, 2008.

1. LawnmowerMan123

LawnmowerMan123 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dry conditions are indeed, optimum conditions for mowing the lawn.

Unlike a trip to the barbers, the grass will cut better when dry, as it contains less moisture and is less sticky. You'll find the blade will slash (if using a rotary mower) through dry grass much more efficiently. Mowing in dry conditions also has the added safety benefit, especially when using an electric lawnmower (A RCD circuit breaker should always be used, regardless of conditions).

I've found a decent buyers guide on lawnmowers here, if anyones interested:

Lawnmower buyers guide

Cheers,
    LawnmowerMan123

2. elliegreenwellie

elliegreenwellie Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Thanks Lawnmower man - goodness it is growing at such a rate at the moment it was only done on Saturday and now needs cutting again!

3. Dover Dave

Dover Dave Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    :confused:Hi all new member here and have some quick questions to start me off.
    I have a petrol mower i use for the rear garden but its heavy to lug through the house.
    I use a small flymo for the front but it doesnt pick up very well.
    Any suggestions?

4. Iceni

Iceni Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hover mowers sit on a cushion of air blowing down. This is hardly what you want when trying to suck the grass up!

Firstly you need to suck it up so the blade can cut it, then you need to suck the cut bits into the collector.

Consequently hovers don't actually collect much. they just push the grass down.

Best to use a rotary electric, the smaller ones are quite light and collect well, you can use them to hoover up leaves and stuff in the autumn as well.

5. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I only cut the grass when it is extra sunny. Then again I'm lazy!