Mozzie's - HELP !

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by oktarine, Apr 21, 2007.

1. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Ok,

I'm gonna try the marmite today for breakfast, as well as taking the garlic tablet.

Yesterday i got seven bites including 2 on my face!

Wish me luck !

2. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    They are supposed to be attracted to the co2 given off when you exhale the more you exert yourself the more they are attracted to you,when cycling in Mexico I was bitten chronically it took nearly 2 years for the scars to go :rolleyes:

3. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thats me finished then, i work in heavy industry !

4. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I'm sure the Brewer's Yeast works. we went to Kenya and my MBH had been taking a course and didn't get bitten once. I hadn't taken a course and got bitten several times and I've got skin like leather!

5. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Only 2 bites today - things are looking better !

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,161
    Good news, oktarine. Personally, I'd still have some anit-histamine tablets handy. If you go into your chemist and ask for them in a generic form it is far cheaper than brand names like Clarityn (spelling?).

You can also buy pure Eucalyptus oil (which is another "after" effect remedy") I believe from Body Shop and such stores ... easier than growing a tree!

Vinegar also works!

7. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on the edge of the fens and we have mosquitoes the size of horses here. They love to eat me too, and I react to the bites a bit, so I can sympathise with the others who are similarly afflicted! I've found Boots insect repellant cream very good (the one that comes in a tube) although I wouldn't want to use it every day. I just put patches of it on arms, neck, ears, ankles, small of back - they bite through your clothes here! - you don't need to put it all over every inch of skin, and although you can still see them around they don't seem to come within 20 - 30 cm and I don't get bitten at all.

I heard that if your B vitamin levels get a bit low, mosquitoes are drawn to you, but I don't know if it's true - marmite is a good source and I seem to think so is Brewer's Yeast? So maybe there is something in it?

8. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Okatrine there is only one soluton (maybe two) that is-------------------------wear a Burka and goggles or maybe a bee-keepers outfit :D

9. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Not very practical Walnut, but thanks for the suggestion.

Yesterday I started taking high strength Garlic tabs, stocked up on marmite too.

Claire - I've tried the boots remedy, but it doesn't work for me.

Nice though to know I'm not suffering alone.

10. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Garlic tabs seem to be having the desired effect, no bites for a wek now !

11. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] I have to agree with LoL about the anti-histamines. I suffer very badly from mozzi bites. Over my years of travelling I have always taken an anti-histamine daily, not just for mozzies but other insects & plants we are not used too as well. Surprising how many times it has lessened the suffering. I have also done the Marmite thing, but Brewers yeast is as good. I have also found that if you have been bitten, a very good remedy is meat tenderizer..!! Unseasoned !!

2 teaspoons McCormick Meat tenderizer powder.
    Enough cold water form a paste.
    Smooth over bites.
    Repeat as necessary.

It really works. Used this in Sweden & Usa.. [​IMG]

12. messypup

messypup Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    im actually a bit of an expert on this one as i breed mosquitoes at work for malaria research.

im afraid most of the evidence for yeast/ marmite/ citronella/blood type etc is at best weak. tea tree oil acts as an anteseptic and may reduce the itching but wont do much as a repellent.

the only way to get rid of mosquitoes in this situation is to remove their breeding sites (standing water) or to make them unihabitable ie adding an insecticide or carnivorous fish. Its not just ponds but any small amount of water, so check you water butts etc. a piece of fine netting over the top will prevent them laying their eggs inside.

but if you cant get rid of them the best repellents i have found is DEET containing products or Autan which dosnt smell as bad. or cover up once the sun goes down and close or net your bedroom windows at night.

If all of that fails take some small comfort in the fact that in parts of africa you could expect to recieve over 300 bites per night and that our mosi's dont transmit anything nasty, and that eventually you will react less and less to the bites

13. UsedtobeDendy

UsedtobeDendy Gardener

Retired teacher and gardener
    Ratings:
    +172
    While you're under attack from them, it probalby would be no consolaion at all, Messypup! But afterwards, maybe! :D

Many years ago I knew someone who who was doing that sort of research at what was then Liverool Poly - now John Moores' She used to go round cadging blood from the other PhDs for her mozzies!! :eek:

14. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,465
    MF, I've not heard about the meat tenderiser remedy. As most meat tenderisers use the chemical papain which originated from papaya/pawpaw I wonder whether eating papaya might help. [​IMG]

15. Claire75

Claire75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks MessyPup!
    If you need any more mosquitoes, you're welcome to get some from my garden btw.