Mozzie's - HELP !

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by oktarine, Apr 21, 2007.

1. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    [​IMG] Well shiney not sure that eating would work the same..... :D It is an after-bite remedy & the papaya certainly aids the healing... ;) It really helps to take the itch away & nuetralize the bite. :cool: [​IMG] I have a really bad time when bitten, but that really helps... [​IMG]

2. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    there are some pretty nasty ones around.... last summer people here were getting some very bad reactions - HUGE swellings, infections and goodness knows what else!!!! A lady I knew ended up with a walnut sized blister on her leg (which ended up like an elephants!!), the blister eventually popped, and then a major infection set in...... one of the little girls at school got bitten on the back of her thigh, again, walnut sized blister, then she was hospitalised with the infection!!!! There were reports about some dodgy mozzies colonising the area (and have been for around 30 years, but because of the weather conditions, the population has exploded) and they came across with the Banana boats to Portsmouth!!!!

3. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Still ok , ten days now and no bites.

Diet of Marmite and Garlic ! Working for me - I'll keep you posted.

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,160
    oktarine, you must smell absolutely delightful! Are you adding any seasonings like meat, fish, veg, potatoes ?????

Also, with that diet you must be losing weight?

Hope you continue to not suffer! [​IMG]

5. Stingo

Stingo Gardener

Ratings:
    +21
    I haven't read through all of the thread so not sure if this has been mentioned already but I have read recently that a daily anti-hystomine (sp)tablet does the trick.

I was bitten on my foot about tree times over a few days on a recent holiday to Italy, my foot swelled up terribly, it was a good job I'd taken some sandals that streched otherwise I would not have been able to go out.

6. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    LOL ,

Good job we dont have smelly vision on the PC !

Seriously though, no ill effects noticed, but on a plus side , i do FEEL better ?

And still no more bites !

7. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,160
    Wonderful news, oktarine! Hope all continues to go well.

Stingo, I was the first one to answer and my response was take anti-histamines ....

As I said, I live in "mossie country" , I should know, especially me being a strawberry blonde whom these critters love ... I have no problems because I take pre-cautions.

I guess that's a bit like not wanting to get pregnant? You don't worry about what to do after the fact ....

8. tiggs&oscar

tiggs&oscar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Crikey, there are some interesting theories here!

I lived in Oz for nine years and would wake up with my boyfriend and he would have bites but I never did.
    I'm vegan and have been told mozzie's can sense through your skin what blood is like and I guess I was never as iron rich as my steak loving boyfriend.

So I recomend a vegan lifestyle with lots of white wine as a supplement, if a tonic is needed I suggest Jack Daniels!

On a more serious note try to find body products that contain citronella extracts.

TO

9. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    The story of my life in these pages. For many years I have tried every remedy - I even had to cancel a long awaited holiday 4 years ago because the bites tend to turn very nasty.
    The only answer for me is Piriton tablets - I've tried different Anti-Histamines some prescribed and others over the counter but this is the one that offers me most relief.

A walking chemist shop in the Summer as I am this is the best I can ofer..............

10. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,160
    Good, oktarine .. and even more pleased you don't smell unpleasant! :D

chobart ... you seem to be with me on the anti-histamines. I think it's the oly way to go, prevent it before it happens.

I am a strawberry blonde, I lived in Alabama for 14 years and I've been here more or less in this lovely country since 1983 ... I should know what to do ... and I do ... and I get very few bites and those I get don't "fester".

Must say I just use generic ... cheaper and it's the same ingredient, believe me ...

But, good luck with whatever you use ... it's something you would only wish on your worst enemy ...

11. chobart

chobart Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello L.o.L - No chance of survival for me when we visit the Spain/Portugal and the worst is Canada where we visit the in-laws. The Piritons have been purchased and I shall start to consume in the next few weeks - unfortunately just had a heart scare and ended up in hospital for a week coming out with lots of new medication which I hope does not affect the Anti Histamines.

Here's to a peaceful summer...............

12. Victoria

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,160
    Hi there, chobart. I don't go for this **** that's there's no hope. I am a prime candidate and I survive with very few bites nowadays .... be nicer and a bit more tolerant if it was from something other than biting flying critters

To be honest, I don't think Piriton is that good, just my personal opinion.

My thoughts are with you with you heart scare problem ... [​IMG]