Mr Grinch's Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mr Grinch, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I give my Buxus a Seaweed foliar feed every now and then but I've just googled and there is a 'Buxus Health Mix' foliar feed,not a cure for box blight but does look interesting and would be worth a try:thumbsup:

• Informative Informative x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,466
      There has been a problem with Aquilegia over the last two years. Even the national collection has been devastated. We lost 4,000 of them! I've reseeded them all over the garden, including the veg garden, and they seem to be coming back OK. In the winter I'll have to lift them from the veg garden and pot them up ready to put elsewhere.

• Informative Informative x 2
      • shiney

Ratings:
        +122,466
        If you decide on trying this you're welcome to come and take as many cuttings as you want. :blue thumb:
        We have the gold and the silver but I think silver would be much more suitable. You're also welcome to box cuttings if you still want to try. They may be more suitable than the plants you've already had as they're much more local and may suit the soil conditions better.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,359
          I have fed them once this year Loli with seaweed but will do them again to give them a final boost. Its funny the Box Cones i have planted in the little raised bit although with lots of root growth went bronze, with orange bits around the edge, sure sign of sun and drought damage. I fed them a few times and they have greened up well BUT the cone in the same soil conditions in the shade stayed green and looks brilliant, this would tell you that its not waterlogging but heat and dry damage thats the issue, which is confusing as the Crenata planted next to the cones looked ill and showed signs of waterlogging (poor root growth, yellow dying leafs).

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          I've a couple of Box cones in planters in full sun that I've fed and watered but still look 'bronze':rolleyespink:,they're fine in the winter but your right Mr G it is the drought conditions making them suffer,plus mine desperately need moving on or need their roots trimming at least...I'm very tempted to get some of the 'Box Health mix' as I'm planning a small Rose Parterre and the cost of the Buxus :rolleyespink: I might as well fork out a bit more :phew:...
          Sorry I digress:doh:

• Like Like x 1
          • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,359
            Pulled another plant up today which seems more effected. In a different part of the garden to. Checked surrounding plants they seem ok bar the odd leaf to pinched out those leafs. Again, root run amazing, hard to get up.

Annoying.

• Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,359
              Wow, chilly this morning. Very autumnal i hate to say. Haven't smelt it yet though.

G

• Like Like x 1
              • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +1,359
                Nice one Shiney. The trouble is, i cant get it right the taking of cuttings. Tried it with Box and failed are the Euronymous easier ?
                If these Box do succumb, do you think a dark green euronymous would be a good replacing or a variegated form ?

The lambs ears are going well be the way :thumbsup:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                +12,668
                I would put both in the "relatively easy" category. Box can be stuck in the ground and left over winter to root, I doubt that Euonymus will do that, but taken as conventional cuttings in pots I would say they are equal. ("stuck in the ground" is a bit more technical than that :) and requires a V-shaped trench, filled with sharp sand)

I put mine (Box or Euonymus) in 50:50 perlite/multi purpose, under mist, and am disappointed if I don't get 100% ... but Loli gave me some Euonymus cuttings at Shiney's which were already potted up. They were too short, in 100% MPC with limited drainage, so I didn't put them under the mist as I figured they would get too wet, I stood them on the greenhouse path so they were shaded by the benches, and I was careful not to water them very much - in fact worried that I was over-neglecting them. Anyways, I don't think I have lost a single one, so Loli's method would have saved me £500 on mist propagator and lots of time carefully mixing in Perlite with my MPC :heehee: I'm going to look more closely next time I see her in case she is using nail varnish to cover up the true colour of her green thumb :heehee:

Having said that, I would advocate free draining compost, rather than 100% MPC, 2L pots with about 15 cuttings in each, and a plastic bag over them to keep them humid, and then put them next to a North facing wall so they get no direct sun (once night temperatures get below 10C they will need more warmth, so if space I would put them on North facing windowsills, or the very South end of East/West sills so they are shaded from sun most of the day).

Euonymus is a different animal, more vigorous, larger leaf, so I think you need to decide if you can make something of those attributes. I am figuring to plant a knot garden with Euonymus, but I don't know if it will turn out to be too vigorous. Its a thug though, so should grow "anywhere". A nursery near here has the national collection of Euonymus (admittedly mostly tree varieties :) ) but I might ask him what he thinks - he thinks I'm bonkers already! but he's very knowledgeable so might have advice, or an alternative suggestion.

• Like Like x 2
                • Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
                  +12,668
                  If you want to plant half-a-dozen Euonymus in a most-poisoned spot, over this winter, to see how they do I am sure I have enough spares for an experiment - depends if you mind that they will look odd / out of place?

• shiney

Ratings:
                  +122,466
                  We have a whole range of Euonymous but I don't think we have dark green, but all of ours grow very easily from cuttings. We don't bother with any special conditions and just stick them in ordinary MPC - but Mrs Shiney only needs to look at a plant and it grows!

To give you an idea of different colours:

This photo shows the golden euonymous which we trim twice a year. Mrs Shiney doesn't like to cut it too smoothly because she's always picking it for flower arranging. In the foreground is a variegated box.
                  P1180734.JPG

This photo shows a silver euonymous in the foreground (trained up a trellis) and in the distant background is a green and gold kept as a large shrub. They can be kept at almost any size you wish by trimming or letting them grow.
                  P1180726.JPG

I'm pleased the lamb's ears are doing well :)

• Like Like x 3
                  • Informative Informative x 2
                  • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +1,359
                    Very kind Kristan, will see if i can find an area. :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                    • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,359
                      Im sure its the lack of prep in my West facing border that is the issue. The east side gets morning and early afternoon sun in summer, the soil looks darker, the plants look healthier and although does get dry in very hot spells, i seem to water less. The west facing bordergets sum in the afternoon and evening and is very much hotter. The soil, when dry is greyish although darkens down when wet, harder to dig and i have noticed less worm life in it. The plants seem to struggle on this side despite extra watering.

The difference between the two ? I created these when we first moved in in 2006. I was eager to get gardening so did the west border first. Dug the soil but did not add any organic matter, only adding some when i planted plants. The east side, the soil seemed easier to dig so i dug it over but importantly added loads of organic matter.
                      So to this day although the soil is still heavy, colour, texture worm life is good. The west, very hard to dig in summer, worm life small, colour not that great.

So, the only option for me i think, is have the border plants dug up, dug and add organic matter.
                      Then re plant them. Maybe even the shrubs up to give them a boost and feed.

G

• Like Like x 2
                      • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +53,892
                        The above could well be your problem with the west side border Mr. Grinch. There is no need to dig up the plants just top up the bed with manure/compost. You can either dig it in round the plants or let the worms do the work, they will eventually take it down.

My soil is sandy so tends not to hold nutrients. I haven't given my beds any special treatment, home compost once may be twice a year if they're lucky and a sprinkling of chicken manure pellets or BFB when I remember. I don't remember having lost any plants apart from those due to weather conditions. If you're continually digging up plants they don't have a chance to get their roots established and that could be part of your problem.

• Agree Agree x 1
                        • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +1,359
                          But i dont think there are that many worms to work it in Sheal. If i add 2 inches of organic matter, ive still got the hard pan of the top of the existing to get through.