1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mr Grinch's Garden

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Mr Grinch, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,359
    water logging even in areas that is never water logged if anything is too dry ?

Not sure. If it was one area then maybe but it's not. All over.

Too be honest I haven't looked. One side has a lot of acers but lots in pots some in the ground. Haven't looked close enough to other side.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,836
      Well, if you take it in the context of time then, yes.:dunno: A history of water logging, even before you were there or the House was built would affect all the land depending on the height of the water table past and present.

Acers don't really need acidic soil,Mr "G", so they're not, unfortunately, good indicators of soil PH. I have two Acers [a Palmatum Dissectum, and a Brilliantissium and they have grown happily for a couple of decades in my hungry, sandy, alkaline soil:dunno: Daft as it sounds, it might pay dividends to have a really good look at your neighbours gardens and have a chat with them about what they grow, especially those who are serious gardeners:dunno::coffee::snorky:

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited by a moderator: Jun 10, 2017
      • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +1,359
        If only I can grow Viburnham everywhere then I would have no issues.

The dry free draining parts I've the years I've put dug in lots of organic matter, the structure is to die for. Witch hazel got chloritic leafs as the Kerria does now.

Annoying

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,836
          :heehee::snorky:
          It must be:wallbanging::gaah:

We could go many paths on why your soil is so alkaline...........it could be, historically, what the land was used for before your House was built and/or leaching from somewhere.:coffee::snorky:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +52,560
          Interesting reading Mr Grinch. I lived in Rayleigh for many years and as far as I can remember the whole area has clay soil. The flooding I think must be localised and I agree with Armandii that there may be something historically in your area. If you have a chance to study your house deeds there could be something written in those about it's uses in the past.

• Like Like x 1
          • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +1,359
            Nothing in the deeds. Ive done research on the house built in 1927 and pre 1920, it was farming fields. Yes clay for sure, no pan to break, 100% yellow clay going down at least 2 meters. Normal soil prob about 2 to 3 feet deep.

No indication of deficiency in other places. Looked at next door which have a mix of plants. I haven't been to them to see if they have issues though.

Do not get me wrong drainage always and issue at the bottom of the garden, found and old OS map from 1910 that shows a ditch/brook that ran parallel to the bottom of my garden some. About 25 feet away from my garden. Allegedly it was piped, and now built over by a road and other houses.

Im in no doubt that this is a contributing factor and in wet years it can be a pain but if an issue then other gardens would have the same issues or would efffect all of my plants.

As i say the alkaline loving plants look amazing as are some established H T roses that look amazingly healthy. Cornus look brilliant, Viburnum cant stop growing, Silver birch looks happy. Perennials on the whole look ok, its just a lot of the deeper rooted plants that are affected.

Some roses, Witch Hazel, some Wiegiela, Sorbus, astilbe (likes wet clay), Hibiscus, Kerria, Magnolia.

Just looked today, Monarda seems effected although Rudbeckia next to it, healthy as anything. Budleija looks effected and the shrub, cant remember the name but has purple berries in winter, thats really effected with a bit of die back this year, browning of the leafs and stem wilt. This shrubs new grown looked chlorotic, then as the leafs got bigger they looked normal now they are looking a wee bit chlorotic again. There's a old hybrid T rose in front of it and crocosmia to the side that look amazingly healthy.

Apart from last few weeks, its been dry for 7 months so no water logging in the winter even when i moved plants and dug down deep in the borders.

This is really peeing me off.

G

• Friendly Friendly x 2
            • Like Like x 1
              Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
            • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,359
              Callicarpa thats whats its called and RHS says this about it:

Grow Callicarpa 'Profusion' in moist but well-drained soil in full sun or dappled shade, ideally near a path or in a front garden where you can appreciate its autumn beauty. Plants tolerate a little lime in the soil, but conditions which are too alkaline will cause leaf yellowing.

Another plant effected by the alkalinity.

• Like Like x 3
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +52,560
                It may be worth speaking to your council to find out if there's anyway the pipework can be checked to make sure it's still functioning properly.

• Like Like x 1
                • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +1,359
                  I have. No records of a ditch. Its clearly on the 1910 OS map though.
                  My view was when they started mass building in the area, between 1925-48 they just filled it in. I was speaking to an old lady who works in the local museum, she said that it was there and that it was pipped and filled in so prob done by the builders at the time. Either way, there are roads and houses over this ditch now. The wet gardens stretch from the top to the bottom of the road in all gardens so the ditch is playing its part.

• Agree Agree x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                    +17,487
                    The cement is highly alkaline too......was cement rinsed out over the garden? 8 is very high. Rain water off your pathways will be alkaline too :)

• Like Like x 1
                    • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,359
                      Not really Verdun.

Did another few tests a little deeper at test shows around 7.5.
                      The issue has got worse over the years for sure so could be a nutrient issue also which is galling baring in mind the amounts of mulches ive used over the years. What the point wasting the money.

• Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +1,359
                      Been working hard this winter.
                      The chicken run gone, 1 tonne of sub base and bark removed. Dug over with manure and top soil added. It was bloody hard work. I then put in a slightly bigger pool in the center and when it drys out, will plant hosta and astilbe around it, plus other wet loving plants. This corner despite paths and drainage is wet, floods in heavy rain and takes 24h to drain away so will go for the bog/wet area perfect for pools and wildlife.
                      I will extend the step, finish the path then eventually run a pergola down its length. Pergola maybe for next year as i want to get the damp area established first.

G

• Like Like x 6
                      • luciusmaximus

luciusmaximus Total Gardener

Lost in the Wilderness
                        Ratings:
                        +6,899
                        Haven't you been a busy bee :). Pics would be good please, so we can see the results of all your hard work.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Agree Agree x 1
                        • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
                          +1,359
                          Hi,
                          I find it difficult to upload pics on this site and can only do it via photobucket. Using both on a smartphone is difficult :sad:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                          • Mr Grinch

Mr Grinch Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +1,359
                            Will have a play. See if i can do it.

• Like Like x 1