1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Mrs Tea's Allotment

Discussion in 'Allotments Discussion' started by MrsTea, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +21,666
    Whereas nasturtiums are ornamental (also delicious in salads etc) they're sort of a sacrificial plant too. One that you plant to be attacked near to other plants that you want to protect.

• Like Like x 1
    • MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
      +428
      Hello Andy,

Thanks! :) I have used nasturtiums as sacrificial plants before, and the aphids never really bothered me. At the end of the day, the nasturtiums did their job well. But now that I'd like to grow nasturtiums for culinary reasons, the little buggers annoy me :nonofinger: .

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
      Ratings:
      +6,224
      Hiya Mrs Tea, very kind of your sister to buy you some tomato plants :blue thumb: I don't have any advice sorry, I don't grow nasturtiums or kohlrabi and I haven't had black aphids..yet :fingers crossed: but I did have green aphids last year and resorted to resolva bug killer, I was going round rubbing them off with my thumb but was getting grossed out in the end. All the best :)

• Like Like x 1
      • MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
        +428
        Hi Lynd,

Thanks for the advice with the Resolva. Would the plant still be edible when using it? I had a look at the ingredients but my chemical knowledge is zero... :doh:

• Linz

Linz Total Gardener

Prosperous Peasant
        Ratings:
        +6,224
        20160405_104913[1].jpg on the back it says suitable for over 30 types of fruit veg and flowers.. see table overleaf..

EDIT
        Crops = strawberries, grapes, blackcurrants, redcurrants, gooseberries, blackberries, raspberries, beetroot, carrots, parsnips, turnips, swede, potatoes, celeriac, broad beans, radishes, sweetcorn, tomatoes (indoors and outdoors), aubergines and peppers (indoors only), cucumbers and courgettes (zucchini, outdoors), cucumber and courgettes (outdoors)
        cabbages, broccoli (inc calabrese), cauliflowers, brussel sprouts, Lettuces, curly endive and other salad plants inc. leafy brassicas (outdoors only), herbs (outdoors only), Dwarf french beans, runner beans and navy beans, peas, flowering and herbaceous shrubs, potted plants and flowers... it has how many days between spray for each family of plants, sorry if this is a bit jumbled to read. it looks ok for most things really it does warn to test on exotics and check it for 10 days after

controls: aphids (greenfly and blackfly), beetles, bugs (lygus), blossom weevils, capsids, caterpillars, cutworms, cabbage stem weevil, clay coloured weevil, carrot fly, leaf curling midges, leaf beetles, including rosemary and and lily beetle, pea midge, pea moth, pea and bean weevil, sawflies, scale insects, thrips and whitefly

it does also mention its harmful to bees so not to put it on plants that are being used by them.
        hope that helps! :)

• Like Like x 1
          Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
        • MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
          +428
          Hi Lynd, you're a star! Thank you very much! :love30::dbgrtmb:

I will have a look for Resolva, maybe it helps against the little blighters :fingers crossed:

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
            +428
            Before I forget: RE my concern about the brussels in my earlier post. The little ones seem to have recovered and are not as limp anymore. Let's hope they pick up! :)

• Like Like x 1
            • MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
              +428
              Please could someone have a look at my cucumber plants? Are they really too high and thin? They're six weeks old now. Was told I shouldn't have used potting soil?

[​IMG]

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
              +46,046
              It's way too early for sowing cucumbers, I sow mine towards the end of april. Yes yours are a bit thin and leggy - they hate cold and need plenty of light - any checks to their growth and they will just sit there and sulk for weeks. They are very sensitive plants until they get established.

I use a sowing compost, they need to be kept on the dry side.

• Informative Informative x 1
              • MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
                +428
                Hi John, I was told on the other forum that they had too much light?? Right, I will see what the little ones do and may give it another go.

Thanks for your help! :)

• MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
                +428
                There is so much to learn about gardening, but I try to be patient.

I was told that my cucumbers are already too high, but I will try to grow them anyway. It's trial and error isn't it?

Also, I have only just found out that I should have sown the brussels sprouts 16-20 weeks before the last frost, i.e. in autumn. I only started with them 7 weeks ago. So I don't think we will have any brussels this year. But I will still try because the RHS says I did it right, sowing them in March. I don't know and will just wait and see.

I will only learn by trying, and who knows maybe I am lucky.

On another note: I have purchased a plastic greenhouse to put inside our broken glass greenhouse. I will use it for the cucumbers, chilies and tomatoes. The plastic greenhouse should arrive on Saturday.

See you soon! x

• Like Like x 1
                • Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
                  +21,666
                  Exactly so! Healthy attitude :)

• Agree Agree x 2
                  • Friendly Friendly x 1
                  • JWK

Ratings:
                    +46,046
                    I think that's impossible at this time of year.

If you still have some seed left then maybe do a second sowing in a couple of weeks time. Later sown Cucumbers will actually do better than earlier ones and will overtake them pretty quickly.

• Informative Informative x 1
                    • Useful Useful x 1
                    • JWK

Ratings:
                      +46,046
                      Last year I sowed mine late May so they mature over the winter, in fact we are still picking them at the moment. It depends on the variety as some are meant to be sown earlier, you should get an earlier crop so no harm done.

That's the attitude, you can read all the books you want but you only really learn by trying it yourself. There's no harm in trying for an earlier crop, as you say you might get lucky :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 1
                      • Friendly Friendly x 1
                      • MrsTea

MrsTea Khazâd Ai-Mênu

Ratings:
                        +428
                        @Loofah : thank you! :) I try and stick with this attitude although I have to admit yesterday I was quite frustrated.

@JWK : I do have some cucumber seeds left and will give it another try in a couple of weeks time. And I will keep you all updated on progress (or failure) :)

As for the brussels, I think I might give them another try as well, in late May. Did you sow them directly outdoors? I read that you should grow them indoors until they have at least 5 leaves before putting them outside. Is that correct?

Thank you both for your encouraging words! :dbgrtmb: Maybe I should leave this other forum.. they tend to be a bit condescending with beginner gardeners, while here people are really supportive.

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1