1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Music - modern Vinyl Records

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ricky101, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,411
    There's an upmarket furniture store called Arighi Bianchi, in Macclesfield, not somewhere we frequent, as much of their stock is very expensive, but we've bought a couple of Stressless recliners from them in the past few years.

The owner is into jukeboxes. He has four or maybe five he's had restored, scattered around the sales rooms, for "husbands to play whilst their wives choose expensive furnishing fabrics," or whatever.

Here's two of them, I photographed whilst we were there

They would change hands for "big money." I mean like at least about ten grand each.

This an AMI 200, from 1957.

P1050601.JPG

P1050602.JPG

P1050603.JPG

A Rock-Ola Tempo from 1960

P1050604.JPG
    P1050606.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      Digressing a bit.
      I recorded the film "Queen & Country" on Film 4 last night and watched it this afternoon. It was made in 2014. It was about National Service recruits in 1952. The two lads were in a café with a couple of girls and one of them put a record on the jukebox.
      It was one of these;
      A Wurlitzer "One More Time." They play vinyl 45s. These machines were first manufactured in 1987.

wurlitzer_one_more_time_jukebox_1.jpg

What it could only have been if they'd bothered about the production values, was this, a Wurlitzer 1015, "Bubbler." manufactured in 1946. This played 78s.

1015-Axel.jpg

But you couldn't buy them, unless you got it from an American airbase which was closing down, as the import restrictions wouldn't have allowed it.

I know it's trivia, but I tend to notice these things. Like in an episode of WPC 56, there was a Ditchburn Music Maker jukebox in a cafe, twelve years before that particular model was made.

• Like Like x 2
        Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
      • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
        Ratings:
        +118,222
        I agree that it's sloppy 'continuity'. :blue thumb:

There are a lot of those sort of things. One of the classics was in the film Ben Hur when one of the charioteers was wearing a watch! :snorky:

• Sandy Ground

Sandy Ground Total Gardener

Making things of note.
        Ratings:
        +5,368
        To a certain extent, I can understand them not seeing a watch. I cant understand them not seeing the Ford Transit in Braveheart though. There was a passenger jet in one film that was set around the time of the roman empire. The title escapes me. Maybe that was Ben Hur as well? :dunno:

• Funny Funny x 1
        • Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
          Ratings:
          +4,411
          In the opening shots of "Shane" where Alan Ladd is being watched by the little boy Joey, played by Brandon de Wilde, as he approaches his parent's farm, you can see cows in the distance, and the roof of a van or more likely a greyhound bus as it passes from left to right in the far distance.

• Funny Funny x 1