MUSIC ... what do you like?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by roders, Feb 3, 2009.

1. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,488
    Doghouse,
    What was the name of the club in Stoke Newington? I'm trying to wrack my brain to remember the names of any of them :( :old:.

Mrs shiney and I were married at Stoke Newington Town Hall in 1965 :luv:.

Those were the days! :hehe:

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Hi Shiney, I'm trying to remember too.

I can see it now, if you travel down the main road from Tottenham towards the City, you passed it on a corner on the right-hand side.

I've checked his bio but it doesn't mention it. But I know he was there for some time in the early sixties.

3. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,488
    I've been trying to place it. I can't think of any on the right in the High Street until virtually at Dalston - and then I can't remember the name of it.

This is going to bug me! :scratch: :hehe:

4. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Well I'm saying Stoke Newington, it was definitely on that road around that area, as we used to pass it on Wednesday afternoons as we drove from Edmonton to Streatham passing through the City to occasionally visit my wife's aunt. This would have been between 1962 and the end of 1964.

5. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    If the weather’s a bit dull and uninspiring like today, I’ve been working in the garden and I’m feeling a bit “flat,” I treat myself to a beer and put this on. Such a cheerful song.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgqvosUufKQ"]YouTube- Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

6. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,488
    Brilliant sunshine here in Shineyland today :thumb: and a brilliant choice of song to cheer yourself up.

I still have my original copy of it but it is rather scratchy nowadays. :scratch:

All your records are such great quality. :)

7. Melinda

Melinda Gardener

Ratings:
    +437
    Im giggling about posting some of the music I listen to when Im working out with my rowing crews or going for a run!

Im thinking this thread doesnt have much drum and bass/ grime, or speed metal on it! :D

Or perhaps Im speaking out of turn and there are some B-boys and teknoheads on the forum. It wouldnt be the first time people on here have confounded my expectations! :)

Skepta - Rolex Sweep (Vandalism Remix)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPHBppXNgaM"]YouTube- ‪Skepta - Rolex Sweep (Vandalism Remix)‬‎[/nomedia]

Turn up your speakers!

50cent cant dance like me, Soulja Boy cant dance like me, Michael Jackson cant dance like me...

8. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Thanks for that, Shiney, most are from eBay, I look for "mint" copies, a lot of them are twenty to thirty year old un-played re-issues from the USA, they cost around six quid but half of that is the airmail postage, but I think it's worth it.
    The problem is that the cartridge is very sensitive, fine for reproduction but it will also pick up every imperfection. In their working lives the records didn't stay in the juke for long, as new ones were coming out all the time. They were also all "untouched by human hands" so didn't get scratched.
    I must stop buying them!

9. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Just browsing through my YouTube collection this morning, I came across this.

This was my mother's favourite tune, sung by Steve Conway. I remember when I was at primary school it was often played on the radio.
    Unfortunately, there's no copy on YouTube although I've an mp3 of it. It's been recorded by dozens of well known artists, but is now very much out of fashion.

This recording by Margaret Whiting is not bad.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypFC8Q5f1C0"]YouTube- ‪Margaret Whiting: "My Foolish Heart" (RARE version!)‬‎[/nomedia]

Steve Conway sounds now a very dated singer, but I think he had a fantastic voice, not at all "Americanised" (he was from Bethnal Green).
    Died at 32 in 1952 after a heart operation.

Here's an example.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLdFp4Zz3fo"]YouTube- ‪Steve Conway - My Thanks To You‬‎[/nomedia]

But enough of that, I've just ordered this for the jukebox in which I keep my Motown and vintage USA pop singles.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj9KDLWC7E4&NR=1"]YouTube- ‪Elvis Presley Girl of My Best Friend‬‎[/nomedia]

10. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,488
    You still seem to be looking through my music collection :hehe:

Somewhere in my music cupboard I have a 78 of Steve Conway singing 'My Foolish Heart' and I think that 'My Thanks To You' is the B side.

And, of course, I still have my Elvis collection which includes 'Girl of My Best Friend'. :thumb:

Thanks for the memories. :)

Which reminds me - for a modern version of the song this isn't too bad (maybe just a little too fast).

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d7qDSAMB-s"]YouTube- ‪Thanks for the Memory - Rod Stewart‬‎[/nomedia]

11. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    You're right Shiney about the Steve Conway record that is on the "B" side.

I've got a couple of Rod Stewart's "Song Book" CDs and a couple of his concerts on video.

Of course my interest is more about his German saxophone player Katja Rieckermann who plays everything from soprano to baritone.

What is it with him and "tall leggy blondes?"

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=angH27VoJc4"]YouTube- ‪Rod Stewarts schÃ?¶ne Saxofonistin‬‎[/nomedia]

12. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,488

I don't know about what it is with him, but I know with me it is jealousy. :hehe: :hehe:

13. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Hi Folks i love mostly all music, except (RAP ) they missed the (C) when they manufactured and named this
    C**P. :scratch:. i am writing this post because the other evening i watched a t/v music show by a person i have never heard of before( ANDRE RIEU ) it was a fantastic show. it was classical music without the
    highbrow. the audience joined in singing and dancing with the orchestras music and antics ,it totally blew me and the wife . the wife asked me to go on line ,to see when he is coming to the U.K., to book tickets
    when we seen the prices .:( it will be a D.V.D and a bottle of wine and watch (ANDRE RIEU) :)

music :cool:

14. Karl-D

Karl-D Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    You know something up until a couple of years ago, you used to find boxes full of old records, singles and even the old bakelite ones at the recycle center.
    Anything salable was put in a big container and you could go and have a rummage and for a couple of quid you walked out with bags full of gear.
    Then a Spanish crowed took over the center and now everything goes straight in to various skips then crushed with their JCB, hardly recycling, its criminal :mad:

15. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413

I'm quite envious of some contributors to a USA message board which covers all types of radio and audio reproduction equipment. The practice in certain states is that if you've got something you think might be useful to someone else, when you are doing a house clearance is that you "leave it by the kerb." Some have picked up many gems like "Maggies," (Magnovox radiograms) which would have cost a fortune in the fifties and sixties and belonged to grandparents who are now no longer alive and not wanted by young people. Often they are in perfect working order having had little use in twenty years or just need a few paper capacitors changing or the mechanics of the turntables freed up.

Some models would have cost nearly as much as a small car when they were first purchased. Everyone dreams of finding a 25 valve Zenith Stratosphere which cost $750 in 1934.

http://www.google.co.uk/images?hl=e...esult_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CEAQsAQwAw