MUSIC ... what do you like?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by roders, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    A lot of my records are "mint" re-issues, but occasionally records turn up that have seen little use. I was just trawling through eBay and came across this. My sister-in-law and her husband, two years younger than us, were great fans as teenagers and bought most of his records, as they will be visiting later this year, I thought I'd treat them to a bit of nostalgia.

This is an excellent hardly played copy of this I got from eBay for just 99p.

I always wonder about these original records that turn up after nearly fifty years.
    Who was, or is Julie Commer, the name written in ball-point pen on the original record sleeve? Why was it bought in the first place and then not played much? Was it because of a broken romance? I wonder what stories they could tell.
    I'll shut up now.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKa85dfuwVo"]YouTube- Elvis Presley : The Girl of My Best Friend[/nomedia]

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,491
    Talking of Elvis and original recordings. A local DJ who knows my record collection offered me £60 for one of my Elvis LP's and I was curious about why he wanted it. He wouldn't pay that sort of money to play it at a gig :scratch:. I wouldn't sell it so I never found out.

The LP was eponomously named 'Elvis' and is the black label RCA copy.

I don't collect records anymore and haven't played many of them for years. I keep meaning to transfer them to CD or MP3 but I can't be bothered - and haven't got an MP3 player :hehe: although I do have the transfer facility.

Doghouse,
    I would love to have the juke boxes like you do but I have too many other things to do and no space to put them. I really enjoy these recordings you put on here :gnthb:. Thanks.

3. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    One always wonders about old records. I've a copy of the Beatles "Please, Please Me," I bought my wife when it was first issued, I wasn't fussed about them and she only played it a couple of times, unfortunately it isn't stereo and was a "second pressing" so is not worth that much.

I have however an original copy of the Cannonball Adderley/Miles Davis "Somethin' Else" which I bought in Harrods in 1961, it still has the 1/3d Chappell and 4 ½d import licence stickers on it, might be worth something but I'm not that bothered. I don't play it now as it's so worn, I've a CD copy. I've still got all my old jazz LPs, but some I now have on CDs.
    Although I had to wait nearly thirty years for some company to put my copy of Cannonball Adderley's first solo LP onto a CD. I also collect YouTube recordings of several jazz bands and groups. I check regularly because a lot of stuff gets quickly deleted "for copyright reasons" so you have to download them before they disappear.

4. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    I also enjoy the late 50's/6o's and still have a 45 of Elvis with Hound Dog on one side and Dont be Cruel on the which I purchased new. Most of my old stuff is gone and I now get to listen to them all over again via the wonderful Spotify site, you can find almost anything including a lot of Jazz and classical music and listen to it for free......

Am also a fan of Miles Davis but I listen more often to Chet Baker and Gerry Mulligan

5. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQWszrZHBPI"]YouTube- Comfortably Numb - Pink Floyd - The Wall[/nomedia]

a dream of a song, like dying - in a way

and this

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyqgjCKm9nQ"]YouTube- Pink Floyd "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" Syd Barrett Tribute[/nomedia]

is pretty damn good.

6. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    This is more about what other people like.

If you put something on YouTube, once it gets over about 100 "hits" you can click on "insight" and check where the majority of those who watched it live.

I've checked a few of my jukebox recordings which make interesting reading (for me anyway!)

Hall & Oates are popular in the USA and Russia.
    Bobby Helms; in the USA, UK and Germany
    Ruby & the Romantics; in the USA, Germany, Brazil & Japan.
    The Mills Brothers; in the USA, Netherlands, Spain & Brazil.

7. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,193
    :) Hi Claire, nice to see you back ...

Lovely selections ... and if Gogs comes on I know she will love them as she is a Pink Floyd person ...

8. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
  9. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
  10. MartinHp71

MartinHp71 Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Billy Joel (before he became commercial)
    Beautiful South
    60's

11. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I've over 140 mp3s of complete Goon Show recordings from the fifties and early sixties. I was a fan of the Goon Show on the radio as were many of my friends when we were at school.
    I often put one on to listen to whilst I'm relaxing in the bath (can't abide being idle). Each of these shows was in three parts, separated by musical interludes.

The recording artists were The Ray Ellington Quartet and a Dutch jazz harmonica player Max Geldray, accompanied by the BBC Light Orchestra conducted by Wally Stott, a talented composer and arranger who later became Angela Morley, (but that's another story).

Given these recordings average around sixty years old, the music was way ahead of it's time and not heard elsewhere on the BBC.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ncxjt5CADzM"]YouTube- The Ray Ellington Quartet Plays Mr. Sandman[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmlS5l-UT9E"]YouTube- The Goon Show - Scradge part II (Max Geldray)[/nomedia]

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,491
    That is good playing! :gnthb:

Thanks.

13. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I was always impressed by Ellington's guitarist, Judd Proctor. He had a long career in the music business, he could play anything from jazz to pop.

Not many individual recordings available but here's one I found.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgAB-kPwsWQ"]YouTube- Judd Proctor - Cavaquinho[/nomedia]

14. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Marilyn McCoo

Who?

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prlFR6PnE74"]YouTube- The Fifth Dimension - Last Night I Didn't Get to Sleep.MOV[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWV8OnLnQEw"]YouTube- The Fleetwoods : Mr Blue[/nomedia]

15. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I likes Ellington, but I also likes the manics,

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86z_0jd5ErE"]YouTube- Manic Street Preachers Your Love Alone[/nomedia]