MUSIC ... what do you like?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by roders, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Just in case anyone though I was just into pop.

Fantastic solo from Kenny Garrett with Miles Davis, Paris 1989.

I've a better copy than this, but the original disappeared off YouTube quite a while ago.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDyXfaoDs04"]YouTube- Kenny Garrett Solo - Human Nature[/nomedia]

But I like to play this sort of stuff. ('cos it's easier!)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Eo6XBWY-6U"]YouTube- Jane Monheit Blame It On My Youth[/nomedia]

2. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I must have a dozen different recordings of this song by various artists on some sort of media or other.
    Obviously, one of my favourite tunes.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSh_0UcQR-g"]YouTube- Frank Sinatra : My One and Only Love[/nomedia]

3. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,477
    David Gilmour
    the voice is the same after twenty years and with a successful solo career, it dosen't get better than this (does it Gogs!)
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_q79B-09OM"]YouTube- David Gilmour - High Hopes (Pink Floyd)[/nomedia]

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,194
    Just been listening to someone I'm very fond of ... Rob Thomas who sings independently and with Matchbox Twenty ... brilliant voice and this is a brilliant song and virtually impossible to get ...

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsT2URr1Igc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsT2URr1Igc[/FON[/nomedia]

5. Colin J

Colin J Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Dire Straits (Love over Gold Album)

Pink Floyd.

Jim Steinman

1980s American Rock

0)

6. andrewh

andrewh Gardener

Ratings:
    +45
    The Arcade Fire are sublime.

Their new album isn't even as good as the first two, but is still breathtaking, and so much better than 99.9% of bands could ever manage in their wildest dream.

7. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I was impressed with this.

It looks like you could also drive it home!

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETMdhC1_8ik&feature=channel"]YouTube - 1946 oldies jukebox[/nomedia]

8. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,492
    Doghouse, was that the 1953 recording of My One And Only Love?

I think this is the best recording of My One And Only Love.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecrE80rnjhw"]YouTube - john coltrane & johnny hartman / "my one and only love"[/nomedia]

Although I really like Sinatra I think that Ella did it better with this arrangement by Nelson Riddle.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TguzBBE_CeA&p=768C825D73520798&playnext=1&index=52"]YouTube - Ella Fitzgerald - My One and Only Love[/nomedia]

When it finishes don't close down the You Tube link and it will continue to run through a play list which makes interesting listening.

Following Ella is Nina Simone, then Etta James and some pretty old recordings - The Boswell Sisters, Annette Hanshaw etc. Annette Hanshaw was one of the few white women in the 1920's that could get away with singing blues and being applauded by both whites and blacks.

There must be nearly three hours of music in the playlist that includes a lot of Sinatra. You can leave it playing in the background whilst doing other things.

9. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Hi Shiney.

Yes, I posted the link for Coltrane/Hartman recording on here probably towards the end of last year. Someone responded at the time to say how much they liked it. The track is on my CD "The Gentle Side of John Coltrane."

I've a few Boswell Sisters recordings.

Thanks for the link, I'll try it out and maybe doiwnload it.

10. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Anyone old enough to remember this?

I got this mint copy of a re-issue for £2.99.

Just think, all this fantastic machinery, (in my opinion) all relays and switches, the technological skills of which are fast disappearing as the engineers that serviced them die off and few young people interested enough to acquire the skill, other than the owners of these machines, has been replaced by first CDs and later a chip.
    But I and fellow enthusiasts donâ??t think it sounds the same.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WU5Lq8ZtdXA"]YouTube - Tommy Edwards : It's All in the Game[/nomedia]

11. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,492
    That was probably me :dh:

The Tommy Edwards version of 'It's All In The Game' is very evocative and I still have the original 1951 copy of it. :thmb:

It has been covered by numerous artists. Some of them that I can remember are; Bing Crosby, Johnny Ray, Bobby Vee, Mama Cass, Elton John, Cliff Richard, The Four Tops, Tony Orlando and I understand that even Jason Donovan and Barry Manilow have done it in recent years. I remember selling a lot of copies of the Ricky Nelson version in the late 50's but always thought it didn't have the punch that Tommy's version had.

12. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413

I was pretty sure it was you Shiney, but I was too polite to mention it.
    I was toying over whether or not to buy this, but in the end I decided against it. I like the tune so I downloaded it.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Alf4PpcoqQ"]YouTube - Rick Nelson - It's Up To You (STEREO)[/nomedia]

It's another bit of nostalgia.

As I showed the inside of my Rockola 468 I thought I'd explain to anyone interested how old vinyl jukeboxes work.

Those who aren't, "scroll down now."

This is quite complicated.

Deposited coins pass through a piece of mechanical equipment which determines what coin and how many and can reject those of the wrong weight or thickness. The control box for this determines how many plays you can get for your money. There’s many different combinations which can be set for that, by just swopping tags around in the box. There are settings for all sorts of old currency from many different countries.
    It also energises the latch mechanism behind the buttons.

Pressing the buttons on the box determines the selection, the combination of buttons pressed energises copper strips on the “wobble plate” and starts both the turntable motor and the “write in” selector motor.

This rotates the selector which stops when it reaches the right pin on the wobble plate (as there's a break before further live strips on the plate). It then activates the pin by lifting it up. At the same time the lights behind the selection display "scroll down" as each is turned on and off as the selector passes each pin and then the three lights that illuminate the number selected stay on when the selected pin has been raised.

This causes a third motor to start and the “read out” selector travels round the plate until it is stopped by the raised pin which it also puts back into the original position. This selector is linked by a spindle inside the “write in” spindle to the record carousel which stops in the same position as the pin. This then energises the fourth motor which activates the gripper mechanism, which takes the correct record from the carousel. The A or B side has already been determined by the selection of the A or B pin so the gripper “”knows” what way to turn the record. The same mechanism also activates the tone arm which passes over a stylus cleaning brush before it sets down on the record, at the same time the amplifier is switched from mute to play.

Are you still with me?

You can make further selections whilst the record is playing as the “write in” selector will activate as many pins as the credits will allow. On completion of the song, the reject mechanism, as on a record player, causes the tone arm to raise and return it to the rest position, once again passing over the stylus brush. The gripper mechanism is then activated in reverse. It isn’t that bright as if there’s no record in the carousel it’ll still try to take it out and play it, not good for the stylus.

The “read out” selector and carousel will then turn and stop at the next activated pin, not the next record selected. If no further selections are made the carousel will stop in the rest position and the amplifier switched to mute.

There’s a further box on the left hand side where you can add, subtract or clear credits by depressing switches. At the back is the mains transformer and the amplifier with all its controls.

In front of the turntable is the mechanical “popularity meter” which is linked to the carousel, it turns mirroring the position of the carousel.

When the carousel stops and the selected record is put on the turntable, a ratcheted pin with the same number as that record is pushed out one notch on the meter. In this way, unpopular records could be determined by the operators and replaced. Having done that they'd press the cente button on the meter and all the ratched indicators would spring back to the "zero" position.

It’s one of the earliest examples of “plug and play” All the equipment is connected by all sorts of plugs so a defective component can be removed and replaced. Engineers wouldn’t normally replace bad caps or resistors on the road, they’d swap the component and the defective part returned to the workshop for repair and then used when necessary to repair another machine. Usually, faults were through abuse, like beer being spilled in them and faulty leaf switches.

It’s possible to “trouble shoot” from the manual. The machines are well protected with something like nearly twenty fuses and cut-cut outs as they were designed to be used for at least twelve hours a day, seven days a week.
    I’m learning a bit about them as I go along.

13. shiney

Ratings:
    +122,492
    Thanks for being so polite :gnthb: :hehe:

This was a very popular Ricky Nelson song from 1962

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvZ4I5XAqm4&feature=related"]YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.[/nomedia]

I don't know whether you remember this record also from 1962. It is Shane Fenton with Cindy's Birthday. Years later he changed his name to Alvin Stardust.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yx3Pvomzt-8"]YouTube - SHANE FENTON - CINDYS BIRTHDAY[/nomedia]

In 1960 Bob Luman brought out this record taking the mickey out of some of the other songs of the time.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YigH6J8S6zQ"]YouTube - Bob Luman - Let's Think About Living[/nomedia]

14. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Thanks for that.

I always found Ricky Nelson very "understated" for his time, in fact he was bit old-fashioned, but I liked his music.
    I've these two 45s in that jukebox.

Fools Rush In / Down Home

Poor Little Fool / Hello Marylou

15. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    Also have a copy of the Tommy Edwards 'It's all in the game' , the Ricky Nelson big hit was indeed the 'Poor little Fool/Hello Mary Lou' also 'It's Late' and 'Lonesome Town' - Bob Luman's 'Lets think about Living' was his only hit in the UK but he featured a lot in the Country & Western charts in th USA..