MUSIC ... what do you like?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by roders, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    My Dad used to have one of those huge solid wood radiograms, music used to sound good through that as well, particularly my P.J.Proby records!!! :thumb:

Val

2. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    One of the USA audio equipment message boards to which I subscribe, gets a growing number of posts from young people who've obtained either from thrift shops, garage sales or "free at the kerb" a "Maggie."
    The affectionate name for a Magnavox stereo radiogram. They are so enthusiastic about their find.
    These sophisticated machines cost up to a thousand dollars or more in the fifties and sixties and are now considered surplus rubbish by many when they are among the effects inherited from elderly relatives. These machines had complex valve amplifiers and multiple speakers. Often the only problem with them are the record decks which are gummed up with hardened grease due to lack of use over many years and on some, just the replacement of the paper capacitors will bring back the superb performance unknown now in the digital age.

Though virtually unknown in this country, they came in all sizes and finishes, here's a "big one."

[​IMG]

Here's a "bigger one!"

[​IMG]

3. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I used to brew wine in the back of my dads radiogram, he didn't know it was there.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWr7Mx3StL4"]YouTube - The Bloodless Pharaohs - Bloodless Pharaoh[/nomedia]

The above is good music, sorry if i've posted it before, just going thru a bad time at the mo

4. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Is there a market for old 78s?
    Reason I ask is that we are 'tidying' mum in law's house and there's a heap of a couple of hundred. They weigh a ton! Last time I looked on Ebay folk couldn't give them away. We don't have time to catalogue them all - life's too short. Visit to the local skip is on the cards.

5. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    They are of interest only if they are in good condition.

During WWll, shellac was needed for the armaments industry, so the record industry used sawdust between thin layers of shellac. So those produced at that time weren't very durable. 78s produced in the "big band" era in good condition are of interest to those with contemporary jukeboxes that play 78s. Earlier records are of interest to those who collect those old wind up gramophones with a horn called "phonographs" (incidently the same term was used by the manufacturers of jukeboxes for their machines).

But obviously, it's a very small market.

Check any record on eBay and you'll see incidences of ridiculous prices asked for particular records and further down the list you'll see the same record offered quite cheaply.

(At one stage during the war shellac was so scarce you had to return an old 78 record before you could buy a new one)

6. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,493
    There may be a market for them now because quite a few manufacturers are making players that do almost everything. I bought one last year for £129 that plays 78's, 45's, LP's, has a twin tape deck, a radio, a CD player and a USB socket for an MP3 and you can copy the records or tapes onto a memory stick so you can then copy it to a CD on your computer. :gnthb:

But it won't make breakfast :( :hehe:

7. Val..

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Sorry to hear that Ziggy!!! :(

Val

8. Val..

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Wow!!! What beauties, and what lovely pieces of furniture!!

Val

9. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,478
    DR, I bought Waiting for a Girl Like You c/w Cold as Ice back in '81 (I think), not saying why!:o:D
    Think it is still in the loft but I bet it's not mint.
    Can't say I really liked anything else by Foreigner, too lightweight for me.
    It was also the last single I ever bought.

10. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Yes it's the only one I liked too.

I'm trying to think what was the last single I bought, but I've no reminders as I dumped them all over thirty years ago and concentrated on LPs which I'd tape for various cars I had until CD players were standard issue for most models.

I've had to buy most of the records I have in my jukeboxes as I liked few of the ones with which they came. Not keen on a lot of British pop and none from the fifties and sixties..

11. lollipop

lollipop Gardener

Ratings:
    +24
    Came across this recently. It is a lovely piece of music.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgeJNfCXV_Q"]YouTube - Sol Seppy - Enter One[/nomedia]

12. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,493
    This was one of the top juke box records in the UK in late 1960.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOlcfuXd_og"]YouTube - Johnny Kidd and the Pirates Shakin All Over[/nomedia]

Johnny died in a car crash in 1966.

13. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    I and a few friends were out of step with many of the other young people of our era, whilst some of them were into Cliff Richard Adam Faith and some from the Larry Parnes stable, we listened to Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, Fats Domino and the like and frequented trad jazz clubs that would tour the pubs of south London. Our favourite haunts once I bough my first car at seventeen, being the Eel Pie Island Hotel at Twickenham and The Thames Hotel near Hampton Court. Both premises eventually burned down. (not me sir!) I then heard this in a record shop and as they say was; "blown away"

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeZomqLM7BQ"]YouTube - Miles Davis - Milestones[/nomedia]

and added modern jazz to my record collection at the age of eighteen and I joined Ronnie Scott's jazz club. Then came Motown! 'cept that I disliked that whiney voiced Diana Ross, still do! Through the seventies, my choices became more catholic, I bought ELO, Robert Palmer, Roxy Music, Carole King, John Martyn, Fleetwood Mac, Chigago and others of a similar style of music. The advent of CD's enabled me to replace some of my well worn jazz favourites and added artists like Diana Krall, Jane Monheit and Anita Baker.
    The music in my jukeboxes are pure nostalgia covering the 50s to 80s, but they only get played if I'm doing a bit of gardening or if I'm not, a couple of A and B sides on each once a week as a form of maintenance, I'm as much interested in the mechanics as their use.
    I've never liked either the Beatles or the Stones, maybe it's because both in their early years copied recordings made by more accomplished American artists, many of whom young people in this country were ignorant.
    Call it "musical snobbery" if you like.

14. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,196

0) Now Lolli, you're right up my street there and what beautiful photography, especially the time lapse scenes.

Thank you so much for sharing that ... t'other half will be downloading her for me ... and she was in indie rock Sparklehorse .... I shall have to look them up. :yez:

15. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Here's a bit of nostalagia...for some, I've put in a bid for a very inexpensive copy of this on eBay for one of my jukeboxes. If you don't like the tune you'll enjoy the photos.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GK7qo0-TwV0"]YouTube - The Mindbenders - "Groovy Kind Of Love" (1966)[/nomedia]