MUSIC ... what do you like?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by roders, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Trawling through the records on eBay I came across this. So as it was cheap I bought it and added it to one of my jukeboxes as a bit more nostalgia. Just seeing the record listed brought back some good memories for me. I canâ??t say at the time it was a favourite of mine, as I was in my â??traditional jazz phaseâ? but as you get older I think you can listen to anything â??tuneful.â?
    An aunt and uncle of mine who lived a couple of doors away from us, had this same doublesider on a 78 back in the mid to late fifties, it was her favourite record. She always played it whenever she felt a bit fed up. I think she played it quite often, thatâ??s why I remember it.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IoYh8xsgMC4"]YouTube - P1030340[/nomedia]

Fond memories of those two, both now passed away. Particularly grateful to him as he taught me to drive (on private roads) when I was fourteen. They had two girls, I was the only boy amongst the children of five sisters, so I suppose I got special treatment.

By the time I was seventeen and bought my first car a 1936 Austin Seven Ruby, I was confident enough to pass my driving test first time.
    Those of a similar age will no doubt agree that pre-war cars without synchromesh gearboxes were much more difficult to drive. â??Double de-clutchingâ? will be a mystery to many of todayâ??s era. The examiner made me use hand signals too, he wouldnâ??t allow me to use the semaphore indicators! (for the â??young unsâ? these!)

http://www.motorera.com/dictionary/pics/t/trafficator.jpg

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLp9MyKURo4&playnext=1&list=PLA5B50D54CD64BF90&index=1"]YouTube - Lindisfarne - Lady Eleanor[/nomedia]

More Lindisfarn anyone ?

3. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    What is it about certain old records?

This must be nearly forty years old and since I put a video of my jukebox playing it on YouTube four months ago, it's had nearly nine hundred hits.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42Wuc_Pzoc"]YouTube - Rock-Ola 468 : The Drifters : Like Sister and Brother[/nomedia]

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,131
    Thats a couple of nice juke boxes Dog House.

My one criticism would be that the sound quality on the recording is not very good.

Is there anyway it can be improved?

5. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Thanks for that, but I make the videos on a little Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 digital camera. It doesn't sound too bad on my computer. There's about forty different videos I've made on YouTube.

That particular record is a bit "wowy" as you have to cut an over-size hole in the record as they are in the USA. But the record is nearly forty years old and has been played a bit.
    With records produced in the fifties and sixties the centres were only attached by either three or four small points and the middles were easy to remove, but into the 70s the records began to have solid centres, so you need a tool to cut out the middles.
    On that one the hole I cut was a bit over-sized so it depended on how the gripper arm dropped it onto the turntable. I've since made the hole smaller with bits of insulating tape, so it sounds OK now.

The older jukebox, the 1969 443, has more or less the same set up, two eight inch, two twelve inch speakers and a 200watt amplifier, but I've had the latter rebuilt so it's a bit "punchier."

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,131
    I see, I was just wondering if it was possible to get the sound via a lead direct from the juke box.

Not great on that kind of thing myself, but I'm sure it would improve it.:)

7. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Yes, there is a facility for both "out and in." You can also connect a microphone.

The cartridge is very sensitive and the amplifier picks up "everything." I had to replace the rubber grommets on the turntable motor suspension posts as they'd hardened over time causing a slight vibration inaudible to the listener, but the cartridge picked it up and converted it to an audible sound through the amplifier.

Half the fun for me and other enthusiasts (as well as maintaining them) is the anticipation of hearing the mechanism looking for the record and the noise the stylus makes as it tracks in to the beginning of the record. We don't mind the odd scratch, which are unavoidable with vinyl. The more recent CD jukeboxes don't command anything like the same prices as those playing vinyl, just a few hunderd pounds. Those with visible mechanisms go for big money if they are in really good condition, up to £5,000 and more for the more popular ones. I couldn't justify buying one of those and puttingit in what's not much more than a glorified garden shed.

8. Doghouse Riley

"Pleasantly unemployed."
    Ratings:
    +4,413
    Musical sophistication at its best (in my opinion)

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMibKxQWRnw"]YouTube - lil' darling*count basie[/nomedia]

9. barnaby

barnaby Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +73
    Liked that one DR - saw Count Basie and his orchestra a number of times when I was a bit younger - pure magic. I must say I prefer the more up-tempo stuff as on 'The Atomic Mr Basie' but this one and his old music still great.

10. Val..

Val.. Confessed snail lover

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,951
    Sorry Barnaby I have only just seen this, thank you very much, they are a good band aren't they? Not that I am biased at all!!! :hehe:

Val

11. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86z_0jd5ErE"]YouTube - Manic Street Preachers Your Love Alone[/nomedia]

One of my favorite tracks

12. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,098
  13. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,199
    :) Posted this on 14 October roders ... :dh: Always nice to hear it ... I think Bruno Mars is brilliant, have his CD. :thumb:

14. miraflores

miraflores Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,389
    [nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEbgBKV4_Mk"]YouTube - Tik Tok Keisha Official Music Video[/nomedia]

15. Gogs

Gogs Gardener

Ratings:
    +342
    19 years today since Freddie died ............

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hMrY8jysdg"]YouTube - Queen - I want to break free[/nomedia]