MUSIC ... what do you like?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by roders, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Grumpy

Grumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +59
    Ah! The only 8 track I ever owned-----------:yess:

Lady Gaga anyone?

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,498
    Strongy, the Wake Arms Pub was pulled down about 1980 after being there for nearly 200 years. It was a great place for live music and I remember going there as far back as 1960. I'm not sure but I think I saw the Rolling Stones there in their early days.

The roundabout is still known as the Wake Arms roundabout but the site now has this there:-

http://www.oldorleans.com/home/restaurants/epping

3. simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,318
    Fancy that Clare, they were brilliant weren't they and yes Ian Hunter looked pretty good, and so much energy, sounded just the same as all those years ago, people seemed to have come from all over the world to see them we were talking to some in the bar who'd come from America!!!!, suppose at their age they thought it'd probably be the last time they'd see them on tour, we had quite good seats in the middle great view.
    Hubby went to see them years ago in Retford but the gig was cancelled for some safety reason, so him and his mates went in a place next door where the group were having a drink, he got his ticket autographed,1974 think it was just found the ticket the other day with all the signatures except one.

• Like Like x 1
    • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +2,730
      I think the four gigs at the Apollo were a one-off - if that makes any sense! The band members are all well and truly getting on now. Hunter was already in his mid thirties when he made it big - already far too old to be a pop star by the standards of the day. But as you say, he still has such energy and he's such a showman. He looked as though he was enjoying himself the night I was there. He sometimes does solo tours - might try to get along some time.

I usually try to get to Hugh Cornwell's gigs (ex stranglers front man) when I can. Cornwell's a positive teenager compared to Ian Hunter - he's still in his early sixties!

• Like Like x 1
      • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
        +3,318
        I used to like the Stranglers didn't know Hugh Cornwall was still gigging, he'd certainly be worth seeing.
        Talking of showmen we took sister-in-law to see Alice Cooper, think it was a couple of years ago now,(she'd been really ill and we took her as a surprise) not really my sort of music but went along, actually really enjoyed it, more like a show than a concert, what an experience,lol, sister-in-law got dressed up in all her old gear top hat, long leather boots, gloves and make up, hubby spent the whole night trying to loose her, not really;-)

• Like Like x 1
        • ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,730
          I think my OH would run out the door and leave me to it! He just about copes with Hugh Cornwell gigs. Hugh is always worth seeing, still sounds great and still has a queue of besotted women waiting for his autograph at the end of his shows. Saw him recently at the O2 Islington Academy. The Stranglers are still going too, only without Hugh. But they do still have JJ Burnel, who has mellowed a bit these days. He tends not to practice his karate moves on music journalists now. :heehee:

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
          Ratings:
          +29,480
          Shiney it looks more inviting than the old WA pub.:D
          I saw the Pink Fairies there too.

Clara, I have the Stranglers on my mp3 but never saw them.
          I haven't seen a live band since the 70's.:rolleyespink:

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +2,730
          Strongy, I've been a Stranglers fan since I was a kid. I didn't go to the gigs when they were at the height of their fame, because, although I loved them, I didn't feel ready to die for them. :heehee: The gigs were notoriously rough. Now, however, they're very civilised affairs. This time (Hammersmith Apollo again) I even got a seat. You should see them while you can. Jet Black, the drummer, is a lot older than the rest of the group and I don't know how long he'll go on touring.

• Like Like x 1
          • simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
            +3,318
            Lol Clare:-)
            Go on Shiney get off to a few gigs:-) we've been all over the past few years since our daughters got older and started doing their own thing, seen Santana, Stereophonics, Joan Armatrading, Andy Fairweather Low, Bad Company and Paul Rodgers solo recently, Alice Cooper, Beautiful South twice, Mott the Hoople, Brandon Flowers, good excuse for a weekend away, kids love it as they have their mates round (and boyfriends no doubt)and they look after the animals, oh did go to see Hearsay with the kids years ago hubby fell asleep as he'd been on night shift and sat there snoring in his seat,lol, wasn't far behind him:-)
            Really annoying thing is The Killers are on in June in Hyde Park hubby was going to book it as a surprise for me,until he realised its the weekend both daughters are on holiday so no-one for the animals:-( do you think anyone would notice if I came in with a lab and a cat up my jumper:-)

• Like Like x 1
            • shiney

Ratings:
              +122,498
              Simbad, I can't take the volume :rolleyespink:. My hearing is very sensitive at the best of times and the amplification nowadays is even greater than it used to be. I can't even have my watch on the bedside table at night as I can hear the second hand moving.

• Fidgetsmum

Fidgetsmum Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +865
              Music - what do you like?

Elgar, played full volume. Once upon a time this was only possible when alone in the car, then the girls grew up and left home, Mr. F'smum works frequently in The States, we live in a detached house and ..... I am content!

• simbad

simbad Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +3,318
              Fancy that Shiney, usually you think as you get older you go deaf,think I am, probably too much loud music in my case :-)

• shiney

Ratings:
              +122,498
              simbad, I've always had very sensitive hearing and it probably has degraded a bit over the years but I don't have the fortitude to stand the noise any more :D. Mrs shiney has got used to me walking out of events like weddings etc when the music starts. I always take a book with me and tend to sit in the car and read. Friends and family have got used to me being 'anti-social' :heehee:

• strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
              Ratings:
              +29,480
              Clara, like Shiney I couldn't take the volume of a live gig now although it might neutralise the Tinnitus. I only have The Raven, Feline and a double comp cd The Hitmen.

• ClaraLou

ClaraLou Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +2,730
              I love The Raven. Treat yourself to Rattus Norvegicus as well. Cornwell did the whole album live last year at the Islington Academy. Actually, you know, you might find you can cope quite well with that venue. It's small and the noise levels are substantially lower than you get at a huge gig. On the downside, you have to stand. :heehee: