MUSIC ... what do you like?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by roders, Feb 3, 2009.

1. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Chris, to return to Mr AP (sorry you folks that are not enamoured :D )
    O Lucky Man Too! is a stage musical that will hopefully get to be on stage one day:thmb:

The video clips/songs posted on here are really great - keep 'em coming people :)

2. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,478
    Marley, Happy Trails, sadly an album I no longer:( have but I still have all my Airplane and Steve Miller vinyls in the loft.:)

Freddie, saw them twice!!:thumb:

3. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,098
    :) For Paladin wherever you are :)

4. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,196
    :gnthb: Full credit, Claire .... absolutely loved God is trying to tell you somethin ... I haven't seen The Color Purple. Gosh, did it bring back memories of my late teens in 1967 in South Carolina where I lived across from a Holy Roller church (white wood steeple affair in the trees with Spanish Moss hanging all around) and I would sit at the pool (I lived in an apartment) at night and watch them running and screaming up and down the church (bit like The Blues Brothers) and it was a sight to behold I can tell you .... !!!!:yho: I lived near where Porgy & Bess was filmed and visited there often as well .... :thumb: Thank you.

Bill Withers is still probably the best with Aint No Sunshine .... :)

5. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206

Aww! That's nice Roders I am sure he will appreciate that :thumb:

6. Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
    Ratings:
    +55,196
    :scratch: Silly question probably ... is it just me (perhaps my location but I wouldn't think that has anything to do with it) but does anyone else have a problem when they click on the music links, ie, long time start up (if they indeed do start up) and then start and stop, start and stop .... ? I don't have this problem when I am direct on YouTube.

Any comments, thoughts and advice welcomed .... thank you. :)

7. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Claire, I'm not usually a fan of female singers, but I enjoyed that one very much, thanks :thumb: Strongy, one of my fav albums just happens to be Dive Deep (Quintessence). I never thought that someone else would have actually heard of them ! I too am finding that the clips are taking forever to load up :( I've resorted to opening up a new window, works fine then. Cheers...freddy.

8. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
  9. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :thmb: Well I still have the 1st Quintessence album.... Have Jefferson Airplane, Steve Miller.. FranK Zapper & the Mothers of Invention.... The Fugs.... :hehe: Remember them... ? Edgar Broughton Band... Chicken Shack..... Plus loads & loads more, we have kept all our vinyls still..... The Nice, before they became Emmerson Lake & Palmer.... Oh the list goes on & on....:yho::D

10. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    Good selection there Marley :)

Now who remembers this - didn't think I'd find it on Youtube but there it was :D
    think this was on old 78s.

11. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Marley. You're speaking my language :thumb: I too still have all my old vinyls, they're like old friends :) Can't say I've heard of The Fugs though ? Strongy, I just remembered, I saw Quintessence too (Glastonbury '71) but had forgotten all about it :doh:

12. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    jjordie. I know the tune (Red Feathers) very well. My mother used to play it all the time, in fact, she had the 'best of' so we got to hear them over and over. My guess is that he's from the 50's ?

13. jjordie

jjordie ex-mod

Ratings:
    +206
    It said 1956 on Youtube Freddy so you are right :thumb:

14. Freddy

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    As with most folks I guess, it's the pop music of the day (when we were young)that draws our interest in music. As I've said before, I like many styles of music, but some of those old pop tunes, damn, they were good. What I particularly like are those big productions, like one already mentioned, Everlasting Love. But for ME, this was the best of that type Cheers...freddy.

15. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    :gnthb: Sounds like we do speaka the same language a bit then..!! :wink: Barry Ryan & Eloise..... Remember it well....

:wink: The Fugs maybe a little before your time freddy, they were formed in 1965 by poet Ed Sanders in the USA... They were/are a brilliant, satirical and self-satirizing rock band with a political slant, they have performed at various war protests รข?? against the Vietnam War and since the 1980s at events around other US-involved wars. The band's often frank and almost always humorous lyrics about sex, drugs, and politics have caused a hostile reaction in some quarters.:dh::wink: They are still around today just as good..!!!!:D I'll look for a clip..:wink: