My Compost Heap just Caught Fire

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Cacadores, Dec 24, 2012.

?

Ever had your compost catch fire?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. No

12 vote(s)
    85.7%
  1. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    You didn't shout "Burn, Baby, Burn," when you set fire to the Compost Heap did you, Scrungee???:scratch::dunno::lunapic 130165696578242 5:

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    As an aside, one summer I was on my land trying to rake out dead grass to let the healthy grass grow better. Wife asked 'isn't that a fire hazard'. I said 'no, it will be a bit damp, it will take more than a slight accident to light this, watch'. I took my lighter and flicked it once. I nearly lost my eyebrows. I spent the next 10 minutes frantically running around trying to stamp out a rapidly spreading grass fire.

• Like Like x 2
    • Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
      Ratings:
      +3,225
      I thought that having a dry compost bin was a bad thing. I've been chucking water in it when I've been washing my kitchen pale out as I thought keeping it damp would aid the decomposition process. :doh:

I suppose if I put layers of cardboard in it in layers it would be more difficult to turn over? I've been putting tons of newspaper and shredded paper in though. Paper is classed as carbon isn't it from what I remember :scratch:

• Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,889
      Dry is bad JJ, moist is what you should aim for. :)

• Like Like x 1
      • clueless1

Ratings:
        +19,596
        Indeed.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
        +12,668
        I cover mine, so that it doesn't get sopping wet if (if??!!!!) it rains heavily, and I can thus control the moisture.

• Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
        +250
        That's ok. Hope you had a good one.

Ah, so you took the top off for the photo! Sounds like a hard job. I stick everything you suggest on too except cotton waste. Do you have a seamstress in the house? Incidentally, have you tried putting bones on there?

The space I made for the compost last year is larger than I need so at the end of the summer, I shifted all the uncomposted stuff onto the left side. When the black stuff on the right runs out I'll shift the heap back. That's the idea, anyway. To save my back. The worst was when the neighbour complained. It's next to his fence and he reckoned smelly stuff might ('might', you note) ooze into his garden. So under pressure from her indoors I spent all day shifting all the compost out so I could put up a new fence six inches away from the neighbour's one. And then shift it all back. Hurrumph.

The top of mine's dry but the black stuff is gooey which I understand comes from the gums relased when the organic material breaks down. It's also nice and light to handle. May I ask why you add moisture?

Also, do you have a separate compost heap for leaves?

• Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
        +250
        Does it have a top?

• Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
        +250
        That's a good idea except cardboard is great for starting the living-room fire! In the summer the grass in the meadow opposite us is cut for straw. Later on some bods come and collect it by hand but they leave tons of the stuff so I was using some of that to alternate with the grass on the heap. But it's also perfect for stopping leaf mould mulch from blowing away! So instead I've been layering the grass with cut weed stems which I keep in a pile and they're even better 'cos they let the air in better.

• Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
        +250
        Thanks. In the end I left the top on while I was away but it blew off anyway so it got damp enough!

• Like Like x 2
        • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +31,885
          That was the big man upstairs blowing it off so you would get the hint :heehee:

• Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
          +250
          You've got a bucket full? The mind boggles!

And can I ask why you need moisture?

• Cacadores

Cacadores ember

Ratings:
          +250
          Did she snigger?

• Like Like x 1
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,838
            Hi Cacadores,

Actually, taking the tarpaulin off is not a hard job!! I merely pull it off and if it's staying off for a time it gets folded and put to the side. I don't believe in making anything a hard job when gardening as we should be enjoying it and not thinking of it as a chore:heehee:
            Regarding the smell of the Compost Heap you're the second person on GC to mention that problem. But I really am puzzled by that, as at no time during my gardening, and making numerous Compost Heaps, have I ever had a smell or odour coming from them.:dunno::snork: There is nothing so nice as to pick up a handful of black compost and putting your nose to it smelling that rich dark smell. I certainly haven't been able to smell my Compost Heap from a distance.........if I could there would be something going wrong in the decay process such as the wrong stuff being added or not being mixed up enough allowing the wrong microbes to get to work. Your neighbour is obviously not a Gardener as any of his plants adjacent to your Compost Heap would be greatly benefiting from it!! Moving the Compost Heap so that it's a few inches from the fence is a probably good diplomatic move and will keep the Neighbour and your Good Lady happy but it's amazing how far the black liquid goodness will spread underground [certainly a couple of feet or more].

To be honest if the black stuff at the bottom is gooey then I would think that comes from too much moisture being held at the base and you might need to improve the drainage there. I garden on 300'-400' depth of sand so I had no drainage problems and the black compost at the bottom is damp and crumbly but not wet. As regards adding moisture I haven't had to for a while because of the constant wet weather we've suffered. But during any dry spell of a week it's amazing how quickly the middle and centre of the Compost Heap so I keep an eye on it and will give it a hose down if necessary.:snork:

• clueless1

Ratings:
            +19,596
            Dunno, she might have done. I was too busy to notice. I was too busy running round stamping in a futile effort to extinguish ever growing flames, before abandoning that plan and running off to get water.:)

• Like Like x 1