My 'evening' patio

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Hec, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    To level, establish a string line and work to it, no other real way

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hi Hec. I was thinking, why not lift one or two of those top stones that form the wall, place some earth on top, and plant something like Aubretia, before replacing the stones ? Maybe even some alpines ? Cheers...freddy.

3. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks - that sounds like a good idea. There are some gaps between the stones and I thought of trying to get something growing in those but I guess lifting a stone and putting something under would be even better

4. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Yep it could probably tell a tale or two. I 'inherited' it when someone took pity on me and gave me their old one. It has a pneumatic tyre which makes it so much easier to move stuff around.

5. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I thought so. I did do that with the 40/1 so the whole thing is pretty level with a slight slope - the thing now is bringing up the thinner stones to the level of the thicker ones - and even worse the individual stones that are thicker at one side than the other

6. greengiant

greengiant Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Lovely. The lights are a nice touch too.

7. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thank you. I do like the lights but think they'll look a lot better next year when they are hidden among and gently light the plants rather than seemingly as features in their own right.

8. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    "I thought so. I did do that with the 40/1 so the whole thing is pretty level with a slight slope - the thing now is bringing up the thinner stones to the level of the thicker ones - and even worse the individual stones that are thicker at one side than the other"

If you can get hold of it bed them on stone dust, it makes a perfect bed for what you want and over time almost sets like a weak concrete.

9. Hec

Hec Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Paul
    Will look out for that it sounds ideal. Whilst using the 40/dust I've thought that if I could get something like that but much finer it would be great.

Some of that stuff was much bigger than 40 mm though and made life difficult, especially as it almost seems to sort itself so that the bigger stones group together.

Is it the same stuff (more or less) that they use for the 'white roads' in Italy?

10. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I think so, also used to finish non tarmac cycle tracks in this country.

11. Steve R

Steve R Soil Furtler

Carer
    Ratings:
    +3,702
    To bed my sandstone patio in I used a mortar mix, this also filled the gaps and left it strong as my partner is wheelchair bound, I worked off a a new concrete slab laid by builders for my level point and used a spirit level on every stone...in all directions. Same as you I have a good hardcore base also.

Good luck with finishing it off whatever you decide to do with it, its looking good so far. !!

Steve...:)

12. Sar

Sar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Great job! Looks really calming :thumb: