My first garden!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Radiation91, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,889
    Mr and Mrs thrones! :biggrin:

I took this picture locally, another idea on the theme. :)
    121.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +53,889
      Serious......
      [​IMG]

.......or not so serious! :biggrin:
      [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
        +0
        OK, this is just a rough sketch, but how about something like this.....

WP_20150814_001.jpg

• Like Like x 2
        • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
          +724
          ok I'll set some guidelines here...

Can't get a power supply to it and solar stuff doesn't really work according to online reviews. A little pond-ette could be doable provided it's pretty enough for the fiancee and blends in well with the surrounding lawn.

I am still on a budget believe it or not.

By the way, I'm going to be going away for the weekend, setting off tomorrow lunch time. I won't be on GC until Monday most likely. Going to go live in a WigWam in one of the darkest spots in the UK. Taking the telescope with a DSLR camera attachment so I'll see what shots I can get for you guys. In the meantime, I hope the weathers good over here!

As for these suggestions... keep em coming :biggrin:

One last little update before I go...

My firepit arrived and it was retty rusty. Got a wirebrush, scouring sponge and WD40 on it. The loose rust came off and then I gave it 2 coats of hammerite in black.

20150812_134638.jpg

I'll pop to the beach at some point in the next few days and pick up some pebbles to go in it. Some nice bright white ones :dbgrtmb:

Have a good weekend!

• Like Like x 4
          • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
            +100,838
            Have a great weekend, Rad. You've done a great job on the Fire Pit:thumbsup::snork: Unfortunately, they never stay that way:heehee:, due to use and weather. I've got a small iron Chimney which I paint with "Fire proof" black paint and it seems to a good job, but still needs a new coat after a year or two.

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,889
              Enjoy your weekend Rad and we'll catch up with you on the other side. :)

• Like Like x 1
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                Oh ain't it quiet on here now Rad's away :)

This is what he's expecting us all to be like this weekend

Posted by Linda at 19_01 No comments_.jpg

But, in reality..... We all follow Armandiis example

have actually used the above standards as I have developed into a ___.jpg

• Funny Funny x 3
                • Like Like x 2
                • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
                  +724
                  I'm back!!!! :hapfeet:

Well I've popped to my mothers house because they were gerbil-sitting and I collected the last of the rocks that she was throwing out. Got home, started unloading the rocks and was surprised by how well the garden is doing!!

The Crocosmia is in bloom and stands out a MILE in this garden. Very bright red and fluttering in the breeze.

The Broccoli is starting to grow nicely. Some of it is standing up and is noticably bigger while some of the other ones are still quite small. Hopefully they will grow at different times so that I don't have to harvest them all at the same time :psnp:

The potatoes have gone beserk too! Some of them are 4" high whereas others are only a couple of inches high. I've "earthed up" the soil so that it was touching the base of the top leaves.

The kale is also doing well. I'm going to be quite full of veg next year :stirpot:

Oh and my seeds have started growing. Well, the rocket has... nothing else yet though.

On a final note, I've decided to make use of my "Jamie Oliver Sprouter" again. It's one of these...

[​IMG]

I've got Aduki beans ready to eat (no idea what they are but they taste like fresh peas from a pod) and my cress is nearly ready. I'm starting to eat healthier and this is a good start.

Wahoo! It's good to be back :yay:

• Like Like x 5
                  • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
                    +724
                    I hope you all like pics! There's so many I've exceeded the limit and have to split this post into two.

First of all, I've got 3 orchids in my bathroom which have been in bloom for the last 3 months. 2 of them still seem to be going strong. Happy days!

IMG_0386.JPG

Back to the garden... I went to B&Q today because I wanted some planters for my blueberry bushes (when they finally get despatched). I ended up coming back with 18 cyclamens, 3 plants pots, 4 chrysanthemums, 2 large planters, 1 small planter, some compost, a thyme bush and some nuts and bolts. I seriously need to stop going there!

All will be revealed in good time :)

Firstly, a stroll around the garden! In the trellis planter next to the patio doors, I have honeysuckle which has started growing nicely.

IMG_0387.JPG
                    IMG_0388.JPG
                    I will train this to grow through the trellis. My fiancee has planted the cyclamen around the edge.

IMG_0411.JPG

My clearance Clematis which was dead, snapped, brown and only 2 ft tall has made a great comeback!

IMG_0389.JPG
                    It's got 3 flower buds. :spinning: Those 2 plant pots behind are two more clematis from my fiancee's granddad. They're much smaller and I'm waiting to see where they would look good.

While photographing this I noticed that one of my rock plants has sent out some late flowers.

IMG_0390.JPG
                    The brocolli is growing up

IMG_0397.JPG
                    and Ants plants are also perking up very well

IMG_0398.JPG

Except for "the dead twig" which is hopefully just dormant...

IMG_0399.JPG

Sweet williams have been split up as suggested

IMG_0400.JPG
                    The very wilty looking Dianthus Superbus is really coming round now too

IMG_0401.JPG

More to come...

• Like Like x 4
                    • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
                      +724
                      I also noticed that the Pieris is turning extremely red!

IMG_0392.JPG

As is my other Pieris!

IMG_0393.JPG

I've also noticed that this is a Spirea. It just happens to be the same type of plant as the one I couldn't ID near the beginning of the thread. What are the chances of getting the exact same plant?

IMG_0396.JPG
                      I'm very pleased with the layout of these plants now. The Fucshia needs to be relocated (and planted) but the others have a good contrast of foliage.

IMG_0394.JPG
                      IMG_0395.JPG

The hydrangea is still a bit wilty but I think it's doing ok. I will check tomorrow to see if there's any new growth undeneath these floppy leaves. If the root ball has been shrunk then I'm guessing these big leaves will be too big. There's not enough water being drawn in through the roots to make up for the water escaping through the leaves.

IMG_0402.JPG

My Potatoes (which I'm extremely happy with)

IMG_0403.JPG

And in my coldframe I've just got some rocket shoots poking out.

IMG_0404.JPG
                      @Anthony Rogers you'll be happy to know that the coldframe sits happily on this conrete base (formerly used as a shed base) and it fits perfectly. And yes it has enough drainage.

IMG_0413.JPG

I need to work out where those gooseberry bushes are going too.

My fiancee took a shine to the terracotta pots so I let her have a a go at some plenting. I told her that it's completely her choice and it's up to her. She came up with the following

IMG_0412.JPG

I'm very pleased with her to say the least!

So now I've got some bricks (which I've been using for crocks at the bottom of the planters) on the patio and that's about it. Oh... except for that great big 1 tonne bag of rubble. That will be disposed of over time.

The nuts and bolts that I bought were to plug up the holes in the fire pit. I planned to have them painted black. They wouldn't stand out and they would have more protection from rust. At the moment I'm not sure if I can be bothered. They're zinc coated and I'm interested to see if the 2 layers of hammerite is enough to protect the steel from rusting.

IMG_0414.JPG

The plan is to get some small shrubs around the base of it. Maybe some fern like plants? It is sitting in the corner of that square. The fruit trees will sit in the other 3 corners and I'm thinking of getting/making an obelisk (trellis pyramid thing) about half the height of the trees and having that in the middle of the square. Not sure yet though. I originally had the creeping jenny (in the water now) hangin over the edge and it looked amazing. The only problem was that the water was flowing up the stem and over onto the ground. it was effectively a siphon. I'm wondering if there was a little less water in it then maybe it wont drain out. I'll have a play around and see.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 7
                      • Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
                        +3,028
                        :wow: Your garden is coming on leaps and bounds, it looks so lovely and I love the path and the way it weaves, great idea :dbgrtmb:. I've just had a catch up through the 11 pages :phew: and what a transformation looking forward to watching it grow :spinning:

• Like Like x 1
                        • Friendly Friendly x 1
                        • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
                          +724
                          Thank you AB :dbgrtmb: I haven't got much to do now really. Just maintaining it and waiting for it to grow. Wish I had space for a pond but I'll settle for a raised bed for now :yahoo:

• Funny Funny x 1
                          • Dragonfly Dianne

Dragonfly Dianne Gardener

Ratings:
                            +52
                            Wow @Radiation91 what a lot of work you've done! A great idea to keep a journal! :)

Iam new to gardening too, :rolleyespink: we moved house in November the garden looks lovely at first sight but I'm finding my garden is over crowded garden! All I can do is watch wait and move trees ect, :psnp: but with advice from the lovely people on here my plans are coming together, slowly.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                            • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
                              +724
                              @Dragonfly Dianne Thanks :) The journal helps put things into perspective and it helps me keep track of the names of plants :scratch: I'm always forgetting names :doh:

The people on GC are really helpful yeh! We all have our strengths and if we work together I'm pretty sure everything's covered :blue thumb:

I've got my cuppa and I'm going to head on over to your threads now... I'm intrigued what you mean by "all I can do is watch wait and move trees". Moving trees sounds like hard work :scratch::biggrin:

• Friendly Friendly x 3
                              • Dragonfly Dianne

Dragonfly Dianne Gardener

Ratings:
                                +52
                                Just seen more of your pics! Fantastic :) I'm itching to make changes, but as I don't know plants I'm waiting to see what each one does as I don't want to dig up something and regret it. :thud:

• Like Like x 1
                                • Friendly Friendly x 1