My first garden!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Radiation91, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Apple Blossom

Apple Blossom Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,028
    upload_2015-8-22_21-32-41.jpeg you scared me!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
      +724
      He's been busy today.. the people in white coats paid him a visit :rolleyespink:

;)

I took them from my mum's house. She was putting them in the skip and I was like "aw hell naahh". I need to buy a few kilos of pebbles and that's going to be pretty pricey :mad:

Where've you been? I can't think properly without my spirit guide!

• Like Like x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
      • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
        +724
        Still holding my breath! :mute:

Can't upload any pics at the moment due to a horrendous thunderstorm that's just chased me out of the garden. It's knocking off my internet connection so I'll be able to upload this post, but not upload images.

Got an update on the garden! I've taken a trip to B&Q again and got my ericaceous compost ready for the blueberry bushes to go in. I got some more clearance plants. One is a cosmos (a chocolate colour) and 3 other plants look similar to foxgloves and are bright red. I got a sponge and the lady tried to convince me to return a sponge that I bought for £1 and then buy a sponge worth 50p instead quote "because it will save me quite a bit". I was stood there thinking "at least £600 spent at B&Q recently and you're fussing over 50p?". I chuckled :heehee:

I've also got a new fork. A border fork with a wooden handle this time. Shortly after getting home I started forking the borders and it looks much better. I then started digging out the last bit of the old lawn and the spade made it's final debut! It uncovered a 2ft diameter lump of concrete right where I wanted to plant stuff. I got it out, but the spade isn't looking too good now. It's moved over 50 tonnes of turf, rubble, soil and compost in the last few months so it's not done bad for a cheapo plastic spade. It's tricky to use now!

The lawns have been mowed (the clippings have been mixed in with all the leavy stuff in the compost heap) and I've completely cleared the patio so it doesn't look like a reclamation yard any more! I've basically ramped up all the soil around the edges of the garden. The fence posts had been concreted in at some point but the concrete bit stuck out at least a foot. It looked stupid! It's now got a nice slope around the outside of the garden. :yes:

I came outside the other day to find the plastic panel (window) of the coldframe pushed though and wondered what had happened. It turns out that the cats are too lazy and walk over it. Clearly one of them has fallen through. The sheet landed on my leeks and they had been left like that overnight. Today I put screws in around the edges so that the sheet HOPEFULLY wont fall through again. It looks a lot better! And even better... while I was sorting it out I realised that the spring onions, chives and fennel are all sprouting. The rocket shoots appeared overnight so I'm glad these are catching up. When I first put the herb tray in the coldframe I dropped it and the soil mixed up so I don't know what's growing in each cell but SOMETHING is growing :dbgrtmb:

On a final note, Hope has been sorting out the bird bath. It now has pebbles in it and it looks really nice. She's done a good job :blue thumb:

• Like Like x 6
        • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
          +100,838
          I think we all do that!!:dunno::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 3
          • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
            +724
            Glad it's not just me :snork:

• Agree Agree x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
              +0
              Hello, I think I'm back now ( hopefully ). It weren't my fault, everytime I tried to do owt it cut me off :)

Glad you're making progress as there's not a lot of time left now for ya is there.

Can you give us a pic of the Cosmos, it could be one called Chocolate Cosmos ( has a delicious smell of chocolate ) which, if so is a tuber which you can dig up before it gets frosted and keep overwinter for next year. However, if it's a normal Cosmos it will be an annual.

The red foxglove like things sound like Penstemons, a hardy perennial.

• Like Like x 1
              • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                +100,838
                How are you going to tell, Anthony, sniff the pic??:scratch::doh::hate-shocked::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 4
                • Agree Agree x 1
                • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                  +0
                  Oooh there's nowt like a good hard sniff on a Sunday night :)

• Like Like x 1
                  • Funny Funny x 1
                  • Informative Informative x 1
                  • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Nah you numpty, it's a smaller rounder flower and the leaves aren't quite as ferny.

I put the chocolate smell in ( admittedly in the wrong place ) as another Id tip :p

• Funny Funny x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,838
                      Bournville or Milk Chocolate:scratch::dunno::heehee:

• Funny Funny x 5
                      • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                        +0
                        Galaxy :)

• Funny Funny x 1
                        • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
                          +724
                          Glad to hear you're able to get online now! And no I've got less than 2 weeks apparently. I really should check to see when I'm going back to school :frown: I need this garden to be somewhere I can potter round and forget the stresses of being sworn at by students. Teaching Bradford children with no ambitions mathematics isn't an easy sell :scratch:

Chocolate cosmos sounds correct, though I did not smell the flowers. I shall do that tomorrow. Just for you Ant ;) Penstemons rings a bell too. We do keep the labels. I'm not sat in the garden next to them so I couldn't tell you :redface:

:pathd:

:what: :th scifD36:

• Like Like x 3
                          • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +53,889
                            ......Annnnnd breathe! Sorry about that, I didn't realise you were still hanging on waiting for a response. :doh::biggrin:

[​IMG]

Deep thought ^........ nope sorry, the moments past now. :) It must have been the bike distraction - which didn't happen but I'm still working on. :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1
                            • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
                              +724
                              So I've gone blue in the face for nothing? :frown::cry3:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
                              • Funny Funny x 1
                              • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
                                +724
                                The cheapo Clematis has grown and wrapped around the bamboo canes in the planters and is about 5ft long now. One of them put out a single flower. Clearly a bit of TLC from B&Q would bring in a better profit. Ah well! I'm not complaining!

20150820_115202.jpg

And as promised... a pic of the spade and the concrete boulder it unearthed :heehee:

20150823_152440.jpg
                                Not looking too good is it? And using it has become much more challenging! :loll:

An update on Ants plants... They've grown substantially in the raised bed and I've moved them into the garden.

20150824_104416.jpg
                                Once the top level of the raised bed was cleared I scooted the broccolli over a bit. They've got 1 square foot each. Square foot gardening is quite a handy method! I've also moved the seedlings from the modular trays into this bed. I've got 11 leeks, several bunches of spring onions and rocket planted now. The carrots are growing well in the lower level.

A pic of the bird bath

20150824_134617.jpg

The best thing about the bird bath is that the steel dish heats up in the sun like a frying pan on a hob. It gets HOT. With the water in, it stays tepid but the water heats up to a nice warm temperature. Not only will the birds appreciate not freezing their little feet off but the creeping jenny will also grow much faster. It's grown an inch in the last 3 days.

The other update is that I've planted some bulbs.

20150824_121800.jpg

^^^ The most awkward selfie I've ever taken.

Laid out on the soil

20150824_130018.jpg

From the front, going back, we've got Spring Dawn Daffodils (10 bulbs), Crocus Pickwick (75 bulbs), Crocus chrysanthus var. fuscotinctus (25 bulbs)
                                20150824_130029.jpg

Starting at the "spade" and working around the border: Tulips Apeldorn (30 bulbs), Dutch Master daffodils (30 bulbs - BIG BULBS!!), Topolino daffodils (30 bulbs) and finally around the base of the rockery there's Crocus Vanguard (60 bulbs). :phew: You can also see that the potato bags have been fully earther up! :yes:

And no,
                                @Anthony Rogers I haven't planted the Fuchsia. The plant pot has been submerged into the soil because I found the Fuchsia at the opposite end of the garden after a windy day :redface:

And finally, I've bought the most important part of the garden!

20150824_175534.jpg

On sale at IKEA for £40 each. Supposed to be £85 which is nice. Got a nice curved bottom for my nicely curved bottom so they're really comfy! We sat outside and ate dinner in the sun yesterday. BLISS! :SUNsmile:

• Like Like x 8