My first garden!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Radiation91, Jul 23, 2015.

1. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    Hi Rad

First time I've seen this thread and just read through it all. :wow: what a transformation: bravo! :yay: :yay: :yay:

I have two bantam Wyandottes and they are a lovely hen and good little layers.
    Hmm, ish! The downside with Silkies are that they go broody at the drop of a hat. Also, they are noisy girls, so you would need to have understanding neighbours :heehee: Some hen chatter is actually quite nice, but Silkie chatter isn't on the top end of the nice scale, in my experience.
    Before buying any hens, you really should know what you want them *for*: eggs, looks etc.
    One of my favourites was "Po" - a Gold Crested Polish Bantam - full of character, she would sit on my shoulder when I walked around the garden :heehee: but a poor layer:
    November 2011 093 (1024x1020).jpg

Another "looker" was my frizzle (when she ran around the garden it was like a feather boa on speed) but again, not a good layer:

New Girls Jan 2011 005.JPG

:hapfeet::hapfeet::hapfeet:

[​IMG]

:hapydancsmil: :ccheers: :hapydancsmil:
    Hope the day goes with just the one "hitch" and your future together will be as full of promise and happiness.

• Like Like x 5
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
      +724
      That is an option as the cover can be removed and replaced. Although it does require (un)screwing a wooden strip off the side each time. I think the issue here is that I get home when it's dark and it wouldn't be too fun. I can do that over easter hols though! My second batch of seeds is popping through now too so I've got a decent staggerred supply of seedlings to go in.

I see... I will hold off then :biggrin: I will make sure I get some pics on here of course!

Thank you :dbgrtmb: It's been a lot of hard work but it's worth it. Keeps me out of trouble! Although Hope (my fiancee) has said that this time next year we should look at moving out into our final house. I'll have to start all over again then! :doh: haha At least then I'll be able to get some chooks!! :chicken::chicken::chicken::chicken: Seems like everyone has chickens nowadays. Except me of course! :gaah:

Yours look really nice! And obviously tame enough if you can get that close to them with a camera :) Walking around with a chook on your shoulder sounds fun but does it not get annoying? :th scifD36:

I'm not going to reveal my strange diet plan but let's say that lately my chicken breed preference has shifted more towards the egg production types. I think I'll hold off on deciding until we're closer to moving out :redface: I still love wyandottes for their pattern though!

Have a good weekend folks!
      R91

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
      • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
        +724
        Garden update! Wahoo!

First day off in this 2 week holiday and I've done a lot of stuff out the garden. As I mentioned earlier, I've taken off the cover for the raised bed, and got my stripey tomatoes, purple carrots, purple sprouts, swiss chard and yellow legumes planted. I'll be putting the cover back on for the nighttime though.

The bulbs are all out and there's colour around the garden, although the eye is drawn to the masses of dirt which is annoying, but hey ho! I've got two bamboo teepees up. One for runner beans and another for peas. :)

Raspberry canes have been trimmed down now, to encourage new shoots. The Fuschia was very leggy after it's hibernation so I've trimmed down the white stems and got it planted outside. Happy plant!

Also, when I figure out why my images aren't uploading to this thread, I'll get some wedding snaps online :yay:

• Like Like x 3
        • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
          +53,823
          I gather the wedding went off without a hitch Rad. Congratulations to you both. :)

Many of us are having issues loading pictures at the moment, it's down to GC gremlins probably. :biggrin:

• Friendly Friendly x 2
          • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
            +724
            Those darn gremlins :doh: Don't they know I have a gorgeous bride to show off? :heehee:

• Agree Agree x 2
            • Funny Funny x 1
            • Radiation91

Radiation91 Gardener

Ratings:
              +724
              And boom! another 3 months has passed! good lord. I keep forgetting to log on to GC and it scares me how fast time flies

• Funny Funny x 3
              • Like Like x 1
              • Friendly Friendly x 1
              • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                +53,823
                Good to hear from you Rad. :)

......And when you hit mature years like some of us here on GC, it feels like getting up on a Monday morning and going to bed Friday night with little time in between, weekends are non existent! :biggrin:

• Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                +0
                So that's what I've got to look forward to in another 40 years then :roflol: :roflol: :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 1
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +53,823
                  Cheeky so and so! You can't stay 21 forever Anthony! :snorky:

• Informative Informative x 1
                  • Anthony Rogers

Anthony Rogers Guest

Ratings:
                    +0
                    Ok then, I'll settle for 29 :)