My first tomatoes

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by JWK, Jul 2, 2010.

1. seedstotal

seedstotal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on variety, but had no problem growing any tomatoes outside at all, never even fed them only with a good old hommade feed from here http://hubpages.com/hub/Caring-For-Your-Tomato-Plants and last year the greenhouse tomatoes skin got so thick, was awful, i guess its stgh to do with temperature changes drasticly in the greenhouse.
    Come on the oudoor toms perfectly fine, even have sungold and shirley and they lovin it :luv:

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,452
    That's an interesting link seedstotal, can't say I've ever tried making my own feed - it's a good idea especially as the shop bought stuff is so expensive.

3. seedstotal

seedstotal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It really does work :gnthb: I cant say I ever bought one in the shop :cool:
    You can create a small wildlife corner growing your own nettles and comfrey, well not like they need any encouregment around my place :D

4. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I wish I had some toms. Didn't put any down as we are away a lot this summer. I grow them outside but the past two summers have been so sunless they weren't great but what I did get were lovely.

Seedstotal. I don't have a greenhouse but that is interesting what you say about the thick skins.

5. marjoag

marjoag Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I am growing cherry tomatoes outdoors in pots, variety Maskotka. I had my first ripe tomatoes at the begining of July. Now I have a few every day. This is just the second time I grow tomatoes, I grew the cordon type Alicante many years ago. This Maskotka are much easier to grow and the bushy plants look quite decorative with its little tomatoes, I would say the fruits are a bit bigger than the standard cherry tomatoes. I am really please with them.

6. marjoag

marjoag Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    just to add to my previous post about my Maskotka cherry tomatoes, that I grew them from seed on 30th March in an airing cupboard, grew them first near a windowsill indoors till I planted outdoors in pots in late May.

7. seedstotal

seedstotal Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Had my first tomatoes too yesterday, sungold and berry. Yummie. Just counted and we have more than 100 plants, cannot wait for the jaring season :)
    Whats your favourite variety?

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,452
    100 plants! :ntwrth:

My favourite in previous years has been Golden Sunrise. I'm trying Sungold for the first time this year which hasn't ripened yet but I'm hoping they will be better. Also I'm growing Floridty for the first time which won the RHS Wisley tasting trials. I've got three black varieties; Black Krim, Black Cherry and Black Russian which have a very distinctive taste. I'm also growing Gardeners Delight, Amish Paste (from our very own GC video expert Capney's seed), Red Pear and Minibel. I can't wait till they are all ready for a taste test :)

Good results there marjoag, well done!