My Garden Progress Thread

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Muddy, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    How's it going Muddy? Done anymore work?
    I'm one that just can't wait to see everyone's gardening progress, you all do such a great job. ;)
    Helen.xxx.

2. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    yeah i'm another one waiting. doesn't matter if it doesn't look much. just show us some pics.
    it will be worth it in the end.

cheers

3. Muddy14

Muddy14 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry.....lost my login and seems I never returned, and in the meantime all my pictures seem to have been lost in transit :(

Any way I am keeping a picture diary of what is happening. Since I was last here I have mainly focused on improving the grass, aeriation, scarifying, lawn dressing and re seeding areas. I think its made a difference to the lawn since when I moved in.

I have also put in a small flower bed down the right hand side and also planted a tree at the bottom for a focal point and some privacy from that rear gate!

Here is a picture taken a few days ago:

[​IMG]

Any advice on what flowers to plant in here, I like nice green plants really and some splashes of colour.

I am thinking of adding a bed on the other side, this is generally in shade all year. I really like the look of some grasses and pehaps want to concentrate this space as a really dense grass area, any suggestions?

4. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Muddy I wondered where you got to.

I agree with Bob make your side border bigger as you will be surprised just how even the smallest plants seem to out grow their plot and it would also save you having to have an extra pair of hands handy to lift the plants while you mow the lawn.

If you do decide to have a grass collection on the other side (I'm sorry not sure what grasses will be happy in shade) you will have to be really careful what grasses you plant as some might encroach on your lawn that has taken so much of your hard work, if need be think about putting some grasses in containers and then digging a hole in the border for then at least that way it will keep them in check.Hel.xxx.

5. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Looking good muddy14,
    A shame you've lost your photo's cos i can't remember what it was like now??

For what it's worth i agree with bobj & helofadigger about the border. It fills up in no time even with containers!

You're so lucky to be surrounded by so much 'green stuff'. I've only got chicken wire & houses [​IMG] Still am going all out this year for loads & loads of flowers & plants.

Keep the pics coming & good luck.

cheers

6. Muddy14

Muddy14 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the advice. I think you are probabily right so next bit of sunshine i will extend the border outwards.

Any advice on what plants I can use in there? I have lots of bulbs that can go in but i want some colour and greenery in there for this year.

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Muddy you can plant almost whatever takes your fancy. Have you a colour scheme in mind or a theme? Or maybe you want year round colour?

Most plants grow pretty quick even in their first season with a little water and a bit of a feed.

The following plants give a stunning all year round colourful display;

Lavender a good hardy English one with fragrant grey/green leaves.

Greater Periwinkle a lovely variegated evergreen plant that will grow anywhere even in shade.

Dogwood (Cornus) this has striking colourful bare stems in winter you just have to choose what colour you fancy red,yellow, orange or brown/black.

Hebe a lovely shrub that comes in such a range of colours and of course size that it's really hard to pick just one.

The humble old Holly.

Heathers is also a great plant for year round colour.

Dianthus just like the lavender they have a lovely grey/green foliage and each year you are rewarded by stunning colours when they flower.

The above are all ideal starters and would provide a great backbone for any garden all you would have to do is add some lovely spring/summer bulbs, some bedding plants and your garden would be a riot of colour!Hel.xxx.

8. Muddy14

Muddy14 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Horaa I realised that some of the old pictures were still on my phone! And one of this weeks progress.

Here is the garden back in Septemeber:

[​IMG]

Then in October

[​IMG]

After your advice I have made the side border larger and also filled in the stepping stones.

[​IMG]

Just need to start planting now!

9. Muddy14

Muddy14 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I ahve managed to restore all the other picture sin the thread so people can see progress!!

Today has been hard work on the back! I have been digging through that border and removing a lot of soil then added some good manure, and finished with top soil.

Hard work but well worth it, finally got some plants in there to :D

[​IMG]

Opinions are welcome and appreciated.

Any ideas on what I can do with all the soil at the bottom I removed from the border?! Its very heavy!

10. Muddy14

Muddy14 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    PS> I got to the point after putting all the plants in where you would water them in well.....the heavens opened! :D Made things a little easier I suppose.

Next on the list is to top sead parts of the lawn and try and sort out some of the bumps!

11. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Muddy your new planted border looks wonderful and those extra inches (to your border I hasten to add! :D ) have done it a world of good.Hel.xxx.

12. borrowers

borrowers Gardener

Ratings:
    +48
    Looking good Muddy14. What is the circle? Is it where you put the washing line? What plants have you got in there?

Cheers

13. weekend gardener

weekend gardener Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi muddy your garden is looking a lot better now your boarder is bigger, To give it some height you could have some larger plants at the back then smaller ones at the front.
    We have a shed like yours but ours is painted in a deeper blue. My husband has put a windowbox on it and i have yellow and blue primroses inside the box. If you want to make it look more colourful you could have plants in containers around the shed. A cordyline would look good.

How about making a rockery where the soil is, and maybe in the right hand corner you could have a pretty flowering shrub. Or make that area into a patio.
    Hope this helps.
    WG

14. Sar

Sar Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Looking good, Muddy!

Your lawn is looking so much healthier and It looks good with the stepping stones concealed. I look forward to seeing more of your hard work and progress :)

15. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Sandra it looks like a manhole to me ;).Hel.xxx.