my garden progress thread

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by mgn, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    MGN,
    The cheapest opion for an internal fence will be panels but try and buy from a sawmill so you get good quality ones not the cra* that B%Q sell. I pay �£15 per 6x6 panel collected from the sawmill.

Also use 4" sqaure posts and concrete them in rather than met spikes.

2. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi pro, when we did the last garden the panels from b&q were a tenner, but youre right they fall to bits, i'd be surprised if its still standing as it needed constant maintanace.

-- anyway we've decided instead to make wood frames and use chicken wire, cover some in the willow branches and grow stuff up the rest, i think that would be hard to beat price wise, and it is just an internal fence.

yeh he'll be cementing the posts in, we'll probably have to have at least 4 in the garden to keep the above mesh up with -- i dont want to even think about those sort of jobs though, i'm just planning what ornaments to get [​IMG]

i'll have to check the weather forcast for next week and HOPE it's dry - my cat keeps going to the window and crying, he's so bored being kept in now. I feel really guilty [​IMG]

in the middle of re painting the bathroom at present, this is my break time.

3. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    didnt see you there dia and daisy!
    yeh i like a bargain!

I'd suggest visiting argos quickly before they get round to updateing all their prices properly :D i should have enough decking to make a smaller one near the pond and might be able to fit a bench on --- the lawn design has changed now as 2 circles was a bit adventurous, so am opting for one 1/4 circle instead.

4. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Can anyone advise me on turf??

They laid turf next door so I gather you can lay it at this time or anytime of year??

Any special kind to look for, maybe a hardy one that will have plenty of little of paws running on it all day?

i really dont want to use grass seed again as it was never nice the last ones i did.

5. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Most companys only sell one general grade off turf basicly very hardwearing and cuts well,If poss use a local turf suplier.

Make sure you prepare the ground well, fork and rake it over and prefferably a sprinkle of pree seed fertilizer b4 laying.

With the current wet weather turf laying is IMO a no no for several weeks until the ground dries otherwise the action of laying it will 'pan' the soil beneath.

Why cant you let your cat out, mine loves the wet?

6. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    hi pro, i'll wait to see if the weather gives us a break then, i think the lawn will be one of the last jobs anyway. Cant wait to start now!!!

i live near a really busy road now and i just know my cats will play on it! theyve been used to massive gardens for too long now and village life they've probably lost their towny road sense. Don't want to take any chances at their ages, theyve already cost me a fortune getting their teeth done.

7. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [ 03. February 2008, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: Helofadigger ]

8. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Helen, I've been even busier today, finally a dry day yahoo and i've been at it since 8am, just having a break to report progress!

well this around 10-11am

dug over the soil and flattened the area that will be the cats path from their gang hut

[​IMG]
    got all the weeds out the soil at the top (got to get that tree taken out yet)
    [​IMG]
    had a bit practice with the picket fenceing i got
    [​IMG]
    then bagged all the concrete up and discovered the ground was just a mess underneath
    [​IMG]

9. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    then my dad took me for gravel and I got beach pebels. It'll go further than it looks as I'll have the decking boards to fit in come monday but might need a few more bags.

anyway this is where the concrete was, put my 3 brown pots there with the cat ornament and my old conifer from my last house.
    [​IMG]

10. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    at the side i put in 2 new conifers and 2 lights

[​IMG]

11. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    on the other side i gravelled the path, which will have decking boards put in it, and the gravel on the soil is where the rmp will come out of the top of the gang hut!
    [​IMG]

husband is shouting at me as to where to put the picket fencing so will have to buzz off.

12. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [ 03. February 2008, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Helofadigger ]

13. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Helen, I didn't. there wasnt any weeds on the path...much, not enough to worry about anyway, and the cats gravel path is so short it'll be easy to keep ontop of any. I've still got the boards to come anyway which will also help.

I woke up and heard banging, sneaked downstairs and looked out the window and he's taken the slabs up, the washing line down (i want the post taken out) and he's put a post up at the end fence - i think he's doing the side door so I have sneaked back upstairs and pretending i'm still in bed before i get job to do :D

I'm a bit sore today from lifting the gravel bags so i'm having a day off.

14. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    [ 03. February 2008, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Helofadigger ]

15. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi helen, and what a glorious wet afternnoon it is :mad: I hope you arent being flooded down there in Yorkshire? saw it on the news, get your sandbags at the ready.

My aches and pains are fine today, and got the decking delivered, not impressed with it at all - i'm just glad they messed up on the prices as wasnt worth full price! Staples hanging off, full of spider mests, hole out of one, the sides shaved off, onequite abit smaller than the rest... maybe they were meant to be cheap afterall!

Anyway we braved the wet, he's making a side gate for th efront to keep neighbours off and i did the decking - didt go as far as i imagined so only got enough left to finish doing the paths which will have to wait till we get the rubbish tipped.

after saying all that, it looks quite nice in the photo
    :D

[​IMG]