my garden progress thread

Discussion in 'Garden Projects and DIY' started by mgn, Apr 30, 2007.

1. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    i took updated pics today as the weather was glorious.
    I also mowed the lawns, first cut for lawn no. 2.

this is my attempt at keeping things wild for the insects. it must be fun as alot of cat stalking goes on in it. Basicly I just havnt cut the grass at the back, so I think this is what a wildlife garden is (?) I cant really think what else one would be, it has buttercups which are wildflowers and weeds are certainly wild;)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this was my very start pic in April and one today, so i guess i can see i am doing okay with it all as it's only been 2 months.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    saturday i get my freebies so expect big changes in a week or so!

2. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Well done, it does look a lot better. Keep up the good work.

3. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks kedi [​IMG] i will!
    bought 3 graphite coloured pots today for the side of the 'pond', and put a nice pot out that i had in the sitting room in the middle of the wood mulch bit - got an idea to maybe have one of those bay lef trees there in it (maybe) - i think they look nice.

4. Kedi-Gato

Kedi-Gato Gardener

Ratings:
    +35
    Yes, a bay leaf would be nice since it would be for both decoration and in the kitchen. I bought one years ago in M&S in Oxford, it was only about 9-10" tall but soon grew on with TLC and a larger pot in the first couple of years, not to forget regular feeding. I cut mine back drastically every year now and friends and neighbours really appreciate the leaves, nice also in bouquets. I think you would have to bring it in for the winter though, just like I do, do you have a coolish place to put it? It keeps its leaves all year round so it would need light in the winter.

5. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, the garage would probably be okay once it's cleared out to put it in. Cant swing a cat in their at present though =- other than that havnt really anywhere else it could go - didnt realise you had to take them in, maybe i should rethink that one, was only a vague idea. [​IMG]

all excited for tomorrow now as my parents are coming with garden freebies! , if the weather stays fine tomorrow evening i think i'll make a start painting the garage.

And today one of my cats jumped in the pot on the fence (god knows how it took his weight!) and he decimated the last but one cat nip plants, so they all had some and it made their day. Hopefully more tomorrow will arrive but going to have to think where i can keep it to let it grow!

6. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    almost forgot! bought 3 more reduced herbs, 2 chives and 1 basil.

7. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Got my shoulders and neck burned today painting the garage - just got the top bits to do I couldnt reach - it's looking nice and fresh and what a difference it makes!
    Also put a fine layering of compost on the path running alongside and behind the garage ready for the wood mulch - decided to put compost underneathe to see if it helps it stay moist as it looks better moist.
    My tree flowered today too.

Yesterday I planted out my freebie plants in pots and in the raised bed. Got among other things, cat nip, nasterniums and those orange flowers i cant think the name of right now :( my brain is numbwith too much sun i think...
    will take pics tomorrow maybe, or in a day or two.It's all coming together now, doesnt seem like that much left to do!

8. oktarine

oktarine Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Looking good mgn,

Keep up the good work!

9. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    thanks okatrine! i have to agree with you there after the progress made last 2 days!! (that sounded so show offy i know lol)

Have updated all my pics :) I feel I am almost there now!! It's FINALLY started to make sense what I am doing!!!! I think i might have earned my gardenener title here afterall haha

the lawn and pet cemetery with wildgarden background (no not weeds and long grass, it is a wildgarden haha)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    the flowers on my tree
    [​IMG]

10. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my newly painted garage and new wood mulch path, much better than the concrete look!
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    i even sorted the back of the garage out to keep things neat
    [​IMG]

11. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    the patio and water feature bit - still plenty to do here

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    and my seeds are growing in the railway sleeper!
    [​IMG]
    dont ask me what they are, i never wrote down what seeds i sowed where, will just have to be a surprise.

12. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    the catnip on lawn number 2 - i hope this old lampashade will do the trick. I have catnip all over the garden hidden behind other things, lets see how long they last hehe.
    [​IMG]

13. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    my seedlings, nasterniums (sp?) and marigolds in the raised bed - it is going to be very orange!!
    [​IMG]
    some nasterniums on the fence
    [​IMG]
    bits of everything
    [​IMG]

14. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    all that side upto the garage part, just need two more bags of mulch to finishe the ground job - so excited it's nearly finished!
    [​IMG]

I had a crack infront of the garage on a slope so I dug all the stones out and filled with compost and planted cornflowers. i'll have to be careful putting the wood mulch over this area.
    [​IMG]

15. mgn

mgn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    and a latest bigger view of most of the garden
    [​IMG]

I'm pretty brown (with some burnt bits) as a bonus.

I can see me getting 2/3rds of the garden finished very soon, that just leaves the top of the garden and the concrete to deal with - thatll be where i am going to maybe have raised beds and grow some food - probably onions, spring onions, garlic, herbs and peas.